Mrs. Tax's Kindergarten Class
Week of April 10, 2016
Field Trips in April and May
News and Events
- Sunday, April 10, ACS Art Show at the YMI Cultural Center from 4:00-6:00
- Saturday, April 16, Claxton Grounds Workday
- Monday, April 18, Class Pictures and Individual Student Pictures
- Monday, April 18, Last Day of After School Arts-Spring Session
- Thursday, April 28, Family Voices/Community Outreach at the Grant Center 5:30-7:00
- Fri., April 29, Claxton Play: The Nifty Fifties 6:00 pm
Sat., April 30, Claxton Play: The Nifty Fifties 6:00 pm
Sun., May 1, Claxton Play: The Nifty Fifties 1:30 am
- Monday, May 2, through Friday, May 6, Teacher Appreciation Week
- Monday, May 16, through Friday, May 20, EOG Spirit Week
- Thursday, May 19, Potluck of Learning & Community Drum Circle from 5:30-8:00
- Friday, May 20, Spring Book Fair begins
- Tuesday, June 7, K Graduation
- Wednesday, June 8, 5th Graduation at 9:00
- Thursday, June 9, Required Workday
What Are We Learning?
Students are working in small groups to learn new strategies to help them progress in reading. Our focus lessons are centered around several reading skills: reading nonsense words, being able to say all the sounds in a given word, and being able to retell a story and answer comprehension questions. This week, we will begin learning sight word phrases to help with fluency in reading.
We started Unit 4 this past week. Students are learning the 5 digraphs: wh, ch, th, sh, ck. Ask your child what a digraph is and hopefully they will say, "Two letters, stuck together to make one new sound".
Science, Social Studies and Writing
We have begun our study of animals. We are focusing on animals that we see in our yards, woods, ponds and streams. Last week we learned all about squirrels and this week we will focus on fish.
We will spend this quarter reviewing what we have learned this year in preparation for their math summative.