The Buzz in Room 218!
October 12, 2015 Edition
Parent Teacher Conferences Start This Week!
I am looking forward to meeting with all of you over the next three weeks to discuss your child's successes. If you have not already, please make sure you have signed up for a conference time slot. Please be aware that conferences are set for 20 minutes and I will have to adhere to the time restraints due to the fact that I have conferences scheduled back to back.
Sign Up Genius Link: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0a4caeae2aaaf49-5thgrade
Math conferences: I will have limited information concerning your child's standing math class. If you wish to have more information, please reach out to your child's math teacher.
Upcoming Field Trip!
Thinker Tinker Space
Bullying Prevention-Peer Support Nomination
- Most reading groups have finished their fantasy genre books and are working toward creating end of book projects in class. Each book group has been offered many choices, so be sure to ask your child which project they are going to complete. Once these projects are completed and presented in class we will be moving on to the genre of Historical Fiction.
- Weekly Reading logs are assigned each Monday. Students are required to read a total of 120 minutes per week. Students do not have to read each day, but rather can map out their weekly reading requirements to coordinate with their busy schedules. Students should fill in the number of minutes, title of the book and have an adult initial next to each of the reading days. Weekly reading logs will be a part of their reading grade. Please email me if you have any questions about the weekly reading logs.
- We are continuing to review prefixes and suffixes. Each day students will be introduced to a new prefix or suffix. We will be reviewing the meaning, as well as example words that use the prefix or suffix. Students will then take the information learned to work on a Daily Word Work Google presentation. This will be a small daily task that will continue to develop and build throughout the year. Please encourage your child to show you their suffix Google presentation!
- Word Study and Root Word Study groups are up and running. Students who are in word study with me will be getting their sort assigned each Monday. The students will then have the next few days to complete their word work online in google classroom, and it will be submitted to me on Friday afternoon. They will also take their quizzes on Friday. For students in Root Word Study with Mrs. Dettmann they will take their quizzes and turn in all assigned work every other Thursday.
- In writing we are working on putting the final editing and revising touches on our Writer's Eye essays. Students will be working to apply the daily grammar lessons we have been doing to edit their own writing.
- This past week we also continued to dive into our creative writing side. I shared a book entitled Scranimals, by Jack Prelutsky. In this book the author combines animals with everything from other animals to fruits and even vegetables. I challenged the students with coming up with their own Scranimal, writing a rhyming piece of writing, and drawing their creations. The students have really had to think creatively to complete this project. They will be on display in our classroom very soon!
- All math classes are continuing to investigate numbers in many different ways. Many math classes are also working on the multiplication and division algorithm. If you have any questions, please contact your child's math teacher directly in order to get a more timely response.
Social Studies & Science
- My class is currently in their second Science rotation with Mr. Humphrey. During this unit they will be learning about cells. This rotation will go through Friday, October 16th. Their cell project will be due on Friday, October 16th and they will also take their unit test on this day.
- Beginning Monday, October 19th the students will be back in homeroom with me for Social Studies. We will be learning about The Revolutionary War. I am looking forward to working with students to review the events leading up to The Revolutionary War, as well as studying primary and secondary sources. Please let me know if you have any questions about the upcoming Science/Social Studies units.
Donations for Thinker Tinker Space
Here are some items we are looking for:
- liquid glue
- metal brads
- paper towel & toilet paper rolls
If you are able to donate any of these supplies please just send them in with your child as you gather them. Thank you in advance for your support!
- October 14th-Picture Day
- October 15th-Fifth Grade Field Trip-UVA Symphony 10:00 (bring a packed lunch)
- October 16th-BES Spirit Day/BEE Bop & National Mix-It-Up Day (Be sure to wear black & gold)
- October 16th-Last Day of Cells Science Unit with Mr. Humphrey (Project Due & Test Day)
- October 19th-Begin The Revolutionary War unit in homeroom
- October 22nd-BEE Program Late Fall Classes begin
- October 23rd-End of First Quarter
- October 25th-BEE Healthy Color Run
- October 30th-Teach Workday (No Students)
- November 2nd-Countywide Professional Development Day (No Students)
- November 3rd-Holiday