My 20% Project By: Victoria Thompson
The Impact and Why I Chose This Project
This project has a had a huge impact on my life so far. I have had more confidence in myself, and more energy overall. I have only changed my lifestyle about 2 months ago, but I am already down 12 pounds. While that is amazing doing this project has also brought back a lot of repressed memories that I haven't wanted to think about in years. Most of these memories take place back in the 4th-9th grades. When I was in elementary school, I was taller and more muscular than a lot of the other girls, I also was more into horses and superheroes than girly things like dolls. I had a target on my back from the moment I discovered superheroes as a kid. I got bullied a lot, for being big and for being a tomboy. I didn't know the proper way to get rid of my feelings, so instead I would eat. In the 5th grade, at dinner one night my dad yelled at me. I had been so lost in my mind that I hadn't noticed that I was eating so much. My dad yelled "You need to stop! You are eating more than me!" He was right, I was eating way too much, but this didn't really slow me down to much. My doctors weren't all worried, they told me to find a sport, and grow a few inches and I would be fine. However I hated gym, and didn't have a sport that I really enjoyed. The weight kept on growing. In the 7th grade, during science a girl named Carnetia came up to me and asked. "Are you pregnant? Cause your belly is really round." That was a really traumatizing moment for me. I felt disgusting, like I was gross. As I reached high school I no longer cared as much, all the way through sophomore and junior year I didn't care, it didn't matter. This year though I decided that enough was enough. I am tired of being over weight, of being tired and not having any stamina. While I am confident in my body and have learned to love my imperfections, lumps and curves, I want to be HEALTHY. That's all, I am not doing this for a boy, or my parents, for school, for anyone, except for myself. I am doing this for me.
Facts. What you Should Know Before Deciding to Lose Weight.
- You have to do this for yourself, not anyone else. This has to be for you.
- You have to be motivated and patient. It takes time, in order to lose weight in a healthy way you need to know that there is no quick fix.
- Pills, Fad diets, strange and limiting diets, and quick fixes wont work. Most people who lose weight fast, will end up gaining all of it back and more. It is so bad for your body and your metabolism. Lady Gaga is a perfect example of this, she struggles with her weight too, loosing it too fast and then gaining it back quickly.
- Changing your diet isn't as hard as it sounds. Try to be more aware of what you are eating. Eat less bread, and sugars, and more vegetables. It is easier and there are so many delicious options for snacks rather than chips and soda.
- Exercise! Even just going for a walk everyday would be fine, running on a treadmill or going to the gym for an hour is also great. It was difficult for me to get to the gym because of my anxiety. Once you get over the initial mental block and get in there should be no stopping you. When you start it can become addicting.
- Have accountability. If you are attempting to do this on your own than good luck. You should have accountability partners everywhere that you go. Tell your parents, or family and friends what you are trying to accomplish and ask for help. These people will help you so much. They will catch you when you are making the mistake of eating too much or eating something you shouldn't. They will motivate you, and most importantly support you.
- Ask for help, if you are struggling, ask for help! There is nothing wrong with it.