Instructional Tutoring Program
Inter-Act Fellows Program Overview
Dr. Jose Lomeli has partnered with the Education and Leadership Foundation to provide the Inter-Act Fellows Instructional Tutoring Program. The original Fellows program was created by Professor Lomeli in 1997.
The Major goals of the Program are:
- To provide direct instructional tutorial services that enhance academic and social emotional skills of students in the K-12 public school system.
- To develop a cadre of exceptionally trained future bilingual, culturally responsive credentialed teachers.
Inter-Act Fellows Field Experiences
- Small group and/or one-on-one student tutorial and monitor and mentor student learning activities in
- English Language Development
- Academic and Behavior Response to Intervention
- Literacy and Language Arts tutoring
- Mathematics tutoring
- Technology Instruction and support for virtual learning
- Dual Language Immersion Program support
- After School Tutorial
- Prepare lesson plans with standards based objectives
- Incorporate and reinforce Classroom Management and Behavior Management strategies to help maintain a positive learning environment
- Observe and evaluate student's performance using assessment techniques
- Monitor student's safety, use and care of equipment and materials
Top caliber education professionals present on a variety of topics. Inter-Act Instructional tutors receive college unit credit for participating in workshops such as:
- English Learner Instruction Strategies
- Classroom Management
- Lesson Design
- Universal Design for Learning
- Core Curriculum
- Developmentally Appropriate Practices
- Literacy and Language Arts
- School Safety (Bullying, Mandated Reporting, etc.)
- Multi-Tiered Systems of Support for Behavior Management
- Professional Learning Communities
- Instructional Methodology (Direct Instruction, Inquiry, Cooperative learning, Information Processing
- Technology/Virtual Instruction
- Social Justice/Equity Issues
Inter-Act Fellows Staff
Professor Lomeli and his staff have been recognized in a variety of ways
- Published the book, "Outstanding Beyond the Fields" about immigrant student success stories with Kendall Hunt Publishing Company.
- Featured on a PBS Special titled "Harvest of Gold" for work in student leadership
- Featured on the Univision International Television Network show "Despierta America" for his work with disadvantaged youth
- Featured as an outstanding role model in California Department of Education book "Encuentros: Hombre a Hombre"
- Staff members Lilly Lomeli and Jose Mejia received the highly prestigious "National Bright Spots" award from former president Barack Obama at the White House for their work with the California Mini-Corps Program