Of Mice and Men Webquest
Learn about the author and historical context of the book.
1. John Steinbeck
Play the following video and answer the questions in complete sentences.
- What does John Steinbeck write about
- Where was Steinbeck born?
- What was his first novel and when was it written?
- When was Of Mice and Men written?
- What did Of Mice and Men focus on?
- When did Steinbeck pass away?
Mini Bio: John Steinbeck
2. Migrant Worker
Read the dictionary definition for the term migrant worker. Why might a person become a migrant worker?
3. The Dust Bowl
Look at the pictures and explain what you think happened during the Dust Bowl.
Explain how you think the Dust Bowl might have affected migrant workers.
5. Dorothea Lange - "The Migrant Mother"
Look at the photo of the woman and her two children. What do you think she is worried about?
6. FDR's Fireside Chat on the Drought and the Dust Bowl
Why do you think President Roosevelt delivered this speech?
FDR Fireside Chat- The Dust Bowl
7. Predicting the Text
Look at the following illustration and answer the questions in complete sentences.
- Who do you see in the picture?
- What are they doing?
- When do you think this takes place?
- Where do you think this takes place?
- Why do you think this is happening?
- How do you think this image connects to the historical information above?
8. Of Mice and Men
Watch the summary of Of Mice and Men and explain why you are or are not interested in reading the novel.
Of Mice and Men Summary by Shmoop