proudly presents the November edition of:
Community news from the greatest place on Earth...
Principal Nelson's Newsletter
It’s November, and the 100-degree weather has given way to crisp fall mornings and pleasant afternoons (knocking on wood as I type), which is why so many people cite Fall as their favorite season. Locals know that our reward for braving through the summer is the Fall, and we make sure to milk every ounce of enjoyment from it. Whether taking a stroll with the fam, having a cookout while the game is on, or simply sitting outside watching the leaves change color, this is the time of year when we find ourselves more in tune with Mother Nature and her creations.
This month, we encourage you, our students, our staff, and ourselves to get outside as much as possible and adhere to the wise words of Nathaniel Hawthorne:
“I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as autumnal sunshine by staying in the house.”
The Fall is not just about spectacular weather; it is also about being with the ones we love, giving thanks to those who help us, watching Football, of course, and celebrating that which brings us together.
Several events on campus this month will allow us to come together and give thanks, so please make every effort you can to attend. Your students love to see you here, spending time with their other favorite people on Earth, and we love seeing you here because it allows us to let you know how much we appreciate you. Emails are one thing, phone calls are another, but being able to look somebody in the eye and tell them how important they are is second to none.
Whether it's any one of the Homecoming activities we have planned or the Third Thursday Thanksgiving Luncheon we'll be hosting, we'd love to see you and tell you thanks for being part of our world.
And what a wonderful world it is.
7505 Silvercrest Dr.
Austin, TX 78757
512-414-3617 ext. 70744 office
NO SCHOOL ON MONDAY, NOVEMBER 13th!!!
Fall Break 11/20-11/24
Your student's last day of school will be November 17th, and we will see their bright, shiny faces again on November 27th. Please consider this a 9-day weekend and surround them with as many of the four Fs as humanly possible: Food, Family, Friends, and Football! Let them know we are thankful for the light they shine upon us each day, and be sure to ask them what they are thankful for as well.
Please use this form (click above) for your student if h/she is going to be arriving late or will be attending any doctor's appointments or therapies. For questions, please contact Tracy Castillo at (512) 414-3617 ext. 57110
What's Happening on Campus
Homecoming Spirit Week!!! November 6th through 11th
Monday -Superhero Day! Wear a cape or your favorite superhero garb.
Tuesday - Twins Day (twos day, get it)! Dress like our twin on campus.
Wednesday - Wacky Wednesday!
Thursday - Pajama Day!
Friday - Rosedale Pride Day!
Homecoming on 11/11 from 11:11-1:11
Join us this Veteran's Day in the Butterfly Garden as we celebrate all things Rosedale with current and former students and staff. There will be live music, snacks, and the opportunity to tour the campus. This is the culminating event for Homecoming week and we can't wait to see so many new, and old, smiles on faces.
Thanksgiving Luncheon at Rosedale on 11/16/23, 11:30-1:00
Giving thanks with those we are most thankful for is what it's all about, and we want to share this special moment with you here on campus. Please help us commemorate this most thankful of holidays by joining us for lunch in the gym. Luby's will provide the basics and you are welcome to bring a dessert or a side dish of your choice.
Playground of Possibilities: A resource for All
On Saturday, December 2nd, feel free to drop by the playground for lunch, music, and the opportunity to network with outside agencies and representatives. There will be live music, adaptive bikes, snacks, and our completely accessible playground.
Saturday, Dec 2, 2023, 12:00 PM
7505 Silvercrest Drive, Austin, TX, USA
Five Random Questions: Getting to know the best people on Earth
Each newsletter we will showcase two Rosedale Raccoon staff members and ask them five random questions. Be forewarned, the questions are random and chaotic and may not pertain to what we do here each day at Rosedale, but they should give you a glimpse of the inner-workings of those who have answered the call of awesomeness.
Erikka Williams: Green Wing Queen.
- If you could trade places with anyone for a week, who would it be? My youngest daughter. She's into sports (softball) and having a so much fun without a care in the world. (ahh...to be young)
- What fictional character do you most relate to? Wonder Woman. As a single parent taking kids all over town for various activities and being involved in their school, you need to be a super hero.
- Do you collect anything? Care Bears(come again?) Care Bears. Each one represents something special and I feel they also represent me (come again, again?) Care Bears.
- Do you see the glass as half-full or half-empty? Half-Full. I'm an optimist but you can never have a completely full glass or empty one, you have to have equal highs and lows. That's life.(Care Bears?)
- What is your favorite movie of all time? Bustin' Loose with Richard Pryor of course. He starts out as the driver of the bus and does not like the kids but ends up falling in love with them. The only way the movie could be any better is if it had Care Bears in it (come again?)
Erica Lopez: Rosedale's resident meet and greeter!
1. What was your favorite age of childhood? 10 years old. I remember being with my best friend and going to school and all the fun things we did.
2. What is the best concert you’ve ever been to? Vicente Fernandez about six years ago in San Antonio. He's a famous mariachi singer and actor. He's since passed so I'm lucky I saw him when I did.
3. What is your favorite way to unwind? Cooking and coloring mandalas. I also enjoy drwo blscserasm (get it?)
4. If your younger self could meet you as an adult, what would they be most impressed by? By how social and talkative she is now (my younger self would be disappointed greatly with my lack of typing skills)
5. What is at the top of your bucket list? She wants to one day visit Cancun, listening to Vicente Fernandez while her 10 year old self sits beside her commenting on how talkative she is. (Bucket List, Wish List...po-tay-toe, po-tah-to)
Brenda Flores: You can't spell "Pep" without "PE!"
If you could start a charity, what would it be? Money for college for first-generation college students. She’s a first-generation ( TWU in Denton) and wants to pay it forward.
What is the best part of your day? Alone time in the mornings. She wakes up at 4:30, gets to work out, and just does whatever she wants while her husband sleeps. (There is no truth to the rumor that she sabotages his alarm.)
If you could meet up with any celebrity for coffee, who would you choose? Bad Bunny. She’s impressed with this fellow Latino and is inspired by him. She wants to know what it’s like going from a grocery store clerk to the #1 musician in the world.
If you were the ruler of your own country, what would be the first law you’d put into place? Free health care for all (hear, hear! Or rather here, here!)! She would also advocate for college loan forgiveness (I’m pushing for car loan forgiveness myself).
What is your favorite article of clothing? She loves graphic Ts. Her favorite is a Slipknot one her husband gave her when they were 16 in Houston. (Luckily, their love has lasted longer than the band).
Save the Dates:
Tuesday, 11/7, 11am: PTA Social at Cosmic Coffee East 1300 East 4th Street
Friday, 11/10 & Saturday, 11/11: Homecoming
Monday, 11/13: Student Holiday
Tuesday, 11/14, 11:30-1 pm: PTA meeting, Resource sharing-TTAP (TX Tech Access Program)
11/20-24: Fall Break
Saturday, 4/6/24: Rosedale Ride
Saturday, 4/20/24: Prom at Rosedale, theme TBA
Go to: joinpta.org, $5.00 plus $1.50 processing fee
PTA meetings: 2nd Tuesday of Month, 11:30-1 pm Rosedale School Community Room, Lunch provided
Would you like to be Reminded of 2023-24 school information & events by text? Your cell number is confidential.
Step 1, enter this number: 81010
Step 2, text this message: @egebb7
Kimberly Johnson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Rosedale PTA meeting
Time: Nov 14, 2023 11:30 AM Central Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 816 9813 7982
Rosedale School PTA President
Did you know 2024 is the 30th Anniversary of the Rosedale Ride!
Nurse Becky's Corner
What do you use to mend a jack-o-lantern? A pumpkin patch!!! (unknown quote but fitting for the health room!). We have had a lot of pumpkins at Rosedale that have been transformed into amazing creations by our students and staff! We actually have a small pumpkin patch!
Cooler weather is here, some suggestions to keep you healthy-
- Dress for the weather
- stay home if you are sick
- update your immunizations (if you received a delinquent immunization letter for your student, please have their immunizations updated and send documentation to Nurse Becky.)
- FLU SHOT!
- Stay hydrated
- chicken soup and hot chocolate with whip cream !!
I am thankful for our Rosedale family, our students do amazing things every day, they never cease to put a smile on my face!!
Please call me (512-414-3617 x57208) if you have any questions or concerns regarding your student’s health, I am always available! Thanks Nurse Becky