Newport Newsround 9/18/16
By building relationships teachers can transform futures - Rachel Garfield
Our first full week completed ! The classrooms and hallways are reflecting the students' thinking and learning. Thank you for the warm connections you all made with the parents at Back to School night. Having taken that first step is going to help us gain their trust, confidence and sustain their support and will prove invaluable in maximising our time with the students.
Your many efforts at learning about each student in your class and developing relationships with your learners has been fascinating to watch. The pictures below capture the thinking that has been fostered in the classes and the learning that is developing. Making the thinking visible of students from kindergartner to 8th grade is not an easy task. Your efforts in providing different means of expression and valuing student thought is commendable. A glimpse into the minds of young learners truly is such a joy!
It is going to be a quiet week with our 7th graders and 5th graders on trips. We wish them all a safe and successful trip. Please see the events of the week below.
Wishing you relaxing Sunday and a wonderful week ahead!
- After school specials begin 9/19
- Please remember to complete your attendance each day on the online tracker by 9.15am
- Absences for religious observances should be marked as excused. Late arrivals due to a doctor's visit should also be marked as excused. Please make a comment
- Jessie will be accompanying the 8th graders and Mike will be with the 5th graders on their overnight trip. Cover has been arranged but may need to be adjusted depending on call outs
How can I describe myself to others in my 6th grade?
5B know that learning can be enhanced and enriched by the unique value and knowledge each learner brings
Factors that shape identity has been the focus of attention for our 8th graders
7th grade Ashokan trip
Tuesday, Sep. 20th, 8:15am to Friday, Sep. 23rd, 3:15pm
5th grade trip to Stokes
Wednesday, Sep. 21st, 8am to Friday, Sep. 23rd, 3:30pm
Stokes States Farm
Newport Mommy School Fair
Wednesday, Sep. 21st, 5pm to Thursday, Sep. 22nd, 7pm
We will be hosting the Newport Mommy School Fair in the gym. 25 schools will be participating!
Nancy and Annie will be in charge for Stevens.
- The fair starts at 5:00 so 4:30 is when after school will move to the back of the building/yard (art, science, a/s, 5th/6th gr). We will not allow entrance in the yard or back of the building .
- The after school students will be escorted to the bathroom from 5-6.
- Between 5 & 6 the children will be picked up from the yard, like we do in camp. Mel will be with them and in charge.