Summer STEM Guide
Check out these great STEM opportunities in Cville!
Summer SPARK! powered by STAB
Do you enjoy building things, creating art, learning new skills, communicating ideas, solving problems or coming up with a plan? Then Summer SPARK! is for you! No experience is required for SPARK! Summer and students with a wide variety of backgrounds, interests and experiences are encouraged to apply:
Rising 5th through 8th grade students, check out SPARK! Exploration July 30-August 3. The Exploration program will give students an opportunity to learn new skills and then put them into practice through a mini-hackathon.
Rising 9th through 12th graders, check out:
- SPARK! Launchpad is a two-week co-ed experience, July 2-13 that will include skill-based learning, design challenges, field trips to local tech companies and guest speakers.
- Bio-Med Tech-Girls is a collaboration with UVA BME and is a week-long behind-the-scene immersion program for high school girls. It will be held August 6-10. Day one will be at STAB, days two thru four at UVA BME and day five at the i.Lab at UVA.
Expedition is one part of a new and larger joint initiative between STAB and HackCville to prepare high school students to learn in-demand skills in order to solve real-world problems and become internship ready.
July 16-27 - Data Science Expedition from HackCville will be a deep dive into all things data science. Become proficient in using a variety of data tools to visualize data and become confident diving into any data set.
July 30-August 10 - Design & Marketing Expedition from HackCville will cover all the skills you need to know to become a design and marketing superstar.
KidsCollege @ PVCC - 2018 Summer Academies
- KidsCollege@PVCC, June 11–August 10, Rising 3rd–9th graders
- KidsCollege@Fluvanna, June 4–15, Rising 1st–9th graders
- KidsCollege@CATEC , June 18–29, Rising 7th–10th graders
STEAM Discovery Academy
Tech Camp @ Peabody School
Peabody Pi Camp is being offered twice, June 18-22 and July 9-13, for rising 6th-9th graders. Get a Raspberry Pi and learn how to use it.
Check out these resources on making the choice for tech camp:
- From Minecraft to Modding, a Summer Tech Camp Explainer for Parents
- Why I Enrolled My Kid in Computer Camp
- The Connectory - search engine for STEM-related events, programs & activities in your community