Friday, November 4, 2022
Every Student, Every Day, Deserves to Learn, Lead, & Excel!
Message from Ms. Perkins ~ Simonton ES Principal
Next Tuesday, November 8, 2022, will be digital learning day number 2. This is not a day off from school. Teachers will have lessons prepared for students to complete online. All teachers will have Zoom links on their eCLASS course page for students to check in and ask questions about work and assignments. We will all return for a regular school day on Wednesday, November 9, 2022.
We are excited to offer the opportunity for students to take holiday photos. Pictures will be taken on November 14, 2022. Stay tuned for more information and flyers.
Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy the fall leaves.
Digital Learning Day ~ No School
Students will not come to school on Tuesday, November 8, 2022. This is digital learning day #2. All work and assignments will be completed online. This is not a day off and attendance will be taken. Your child's teacher will also have a Zoom link on their eCLASS course page for students to check in and ask questions.
Parent Mentors Present: “Navigating the Holidays and Avoiding Caretaker Fatigue”
Who: Parents/Guardians of students receiving Special Education services
What: Parent Mentors Present: “Navigating the Holidays and Avoiding Caretaker Fatigue”
When: Thursday, November 10, 2022, 9:30am – 11:00am or 6:00 pm-7:30pm
Where: In-Person registration link for 9:30am session: https://forms.gle/quF35jvcjzZrpsJD7
Zoom registration link for 6pm session: https://gcpsk12-org.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEvfu6hrzssGtLof57awbWk9MCay4XjAQvP
Please use the following link to access the parent letters: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1l8d1Yz-8ba5uIAR89p1tgkwR9b20ISyd?usp=sharing
PTA Reflections Local Entry Winners
Congraulations to the following students...
Saara M. (Windley)
Amir Z. (Munzwandi)
John K. (Windley)
Ethan B. (Monroe)
Gabriel M. Jr. (Towe)
Abrielle D. (Towe)
Jade W. (Taylor)
Skylar G. (Taylor)
Ivy K. (Tobin)
Andrea B. (Karl)
Deshawn S. (Tobin)
Hiba M. (Colclough)
SES ~ Building Construction
If you are visiting Simonton ES in the next few weeks you will see contractors working in the front atrium. The district is installing a vestibule, with shatter-resistant glass, at the front entrance. We are fortunate that no incidents have taken place at Simonton ES, as an additional safety measure, this upgrade is taking place in all GCPS schools. Please know we are not attempting to keep parents and families out, but our campus must be safe for students and staff while at school. We anticipate changes to the process for parent/visitor entry and student checkout and will send additional communication at a later date. The front entrance will be accessible while the construction is taking place.
Mrs. Tobin & Mrs. Shoemake's class in Music
Please take a moment to view the following video of Mrs. Tobin and Shoemake's students performing on xylophones and glockenspiels in a three-part canon.
Simonton ES All Pro Dads Chapter
We are excited to relaunch our Simonton ES All Pro Dads chapter! All Pro Dads is a wonderful opportunity for fathers, grandfathers and any other positive figure in a child's life to partner with the school. Events and meetings focus on building a strong, healthy and postive relationship with your student.
Prior to Covid, Simonton had a robust and active chapter. Thank you to Mr. Reginald Williams and Mr. Jackie Sweets, who have volunteered to help restart our chapter.
If you are interested in volunteering, please click on the link below. Stay tuned for meeting dates and events.
Gwinnett County Public Schools is requesting volunteers to join the GCPS Literacy Advisory Council.
Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) is requesting volunteers to join the GCPS Literacy Advisory Council. This Council will function as a collaboration hub to unpack PK-12 literacy initiatives, review student learning and program implementation data, participate in problem-solving inquiry cycles, and provide annual recommendations to the GCPS team regarding our literacy performance.
Our focus for this school year will include the following:
- Conduct a needs assessment to identify the current state of literacy performance and expectations in GCPS
- Review the Dyslexia legislation and district implications
- Revisit our Comprehensive Literacy Plan and provide implementation status updates
- Share problems of practice and co-construct practical solutions
We are seeking 50-60 volunteers to dedicate 2-3 hours per month for six months to fully engage in this work. We are looking for parents and guardians, students, external service agencies, colleges and universities, and all school and district-based staff to serve. This is a working group and our time together and in-between scheduled meetings will require participants to work collaboratively to create proposed solutions.
Click on the link below for more information.
Upcoming Event Dates
Saturday, November 5
- Saturday Intervention (K-5) ~ 9:00-11:00 am
Tuesday, November 8
- Digitial Learning Day #2
Wednesday, November 9
- Literacy Night ~ 5:00-7:00 pm
- PTA Letters to the Military
Friday, November 11
- 2nd Grade Field Trip (high Museum)
- Verterans Day
Saturday, November 12
- Saturday Intervention (K-5) ~ 9:00-11:00 am
Monday, November 14
- Holiday Photos
Wednesday, November 16
- National Elementary Honor Society Induction ~ 6:00–7:00 pm
Thursday, November 17
- Title 1 Parent Workshop: Counselor Chat & Chew ~ 4:00–5:00 pm
Monday, November 21 - Friday, November 25
- Thanksgiving Break
We will also discuss the importance of using techcnology responsibly and making safe choices online.
Blueprint for the Future
The Blueprint is designed to ensure our Portrait of a Graduate becomes a reality. The Blueprint will also drive the intentional culture shifts that reflect the guiding vision of the Learning 2025 community of practice. Our Blueprint for the Future defines our strategic priorities in four areas: empathy, equity, effectiveness, and excellence.
Elementary Handbook Information for Students and Families
On August 18, 2022 the Gwinnett County Board approved Policy JCDI - Board's Theory of Action for Change to Improve Student Behavior and Outcomes (please see attached Policy). This Policy outlines our Board’s commitment to providing both consequences and interventions in order to improve student behavior outcomes.
The Elementary Handbook Information for Students and Families has been updated to include this new change. Please take a moment to read the new handbook and sign off in the Parent Portal indicating your have received a copy of the document. A copy of the document is attached to the newsletter and a link to the documents on the GCPS website is below.
ATTENTION STUDENTS AND FAMILIES WHO LOVE STEM AND PROBLEM SOLVING!
The Gwinnett County Science and Engineering Fair wants you to submit a project that solves a real-world problem! If you watch THIS VIDEO and sign up in my Google Classroom, you will find out lots more about it! Simonton Elementary will be hosting the preliminary Science and Engineering Fair here at school. The top projects will go on to the Gwinnett County Science and Engineering Fair! Can't wait to see your amazing ideas!
Google Classroom - Click on the + - Click "Join Class" - Enter the Code: rgsgpv2
Gingerbread House Contest
With the holiday season quickly approaching the Gwinnett Historic Courthouse have announced a Gingerbread House contest will be part of the annual Lighting of the Tree festivities this year and are introducing two new holiday events – Brunch With Santa and a Holiday Open House.
- Gingerbread House Contest: We want to display your Gingerbread House during this year’s Lighting of the Tree event. Everyone is invited to build their own gingerbread house that will be on display in the Gwinnett Historic Courthouse’s Superior Court Ballroom from November 24th – November 30th. Entries will be accepted from schools, children/families/individuals, business, organizations and culinary students/professionals. There is no fee to participate. Don’t forget – the annual Lighting of the Tree event is Thursday, November 24th with festivities kicking off at 5:30pm.
- Brunch With Santa or Breakfast With Santa: Children of all ages will delight in a yummy meal, make fun crafts, and share their wish list with Santa, personally! Bring your little ones to hear Santa share a magical story and don't forget your camera for photos with ol' Saint Nick. Preregister by December 2.
- Holiday Family Photos: Bring a camera and your photographer for a 30-minute photo session for holiday photos in one of our many beautifully decorated settings. Reservations are required. Don’t wait primate dates will sell out.
- Holiday Open House: Visitors are welcomed to enjoy self-guided tours of the beautifully decorated Courthouse, including the lovely Superior Court Ballroom, beautiful Blue Ready Room, quaint Intimate Wedding room, and Santa’s homey Living Room. Take photos with personal cameras and enjoy holiday treats with friends and family. Children can leave a letter for Santa in his mailbox.
Simonton ES PTA
Print the attached membership form and return it to the Simonton ES PTA. Sign up for a membership and volunteer to support an event! Contact the Simonton ES PTA at Simontonespta@gmail.com for more information.
Gwinnett Public Library
Featured Events for Your Students (All programs start at 4 PM)
-Southern Ballet Theatre Presents: The Nutcracker and A Very Grinchy Christmas will be on November 5 at 10:30am
- Awesome Art: Finger Painting will take place November 9 at 4pm
- Simple Science: Sink and Float will take place November 30 at 11:30am
- Family Lego Challenge will take place November 20 at 4pm
ESL Language Learning & New Americans Programs
We are offering 3 programs for adults who speak English as a second language and want the chance to practice conversationally and for adults who are new to the country as a whole. These programs are:
- Let's Talk:
- In person: Tuesday evenings at 5 PM
Monday the 7, 14, 21, and 28 at 10am
Thursday the 3, 10. and 17 at 10am
- ESL Movie Club: Thursday, November 3 at 4pm (first Thursday of every month; virtual)
SES Business Partners
Simonton Elementary School would like to thank our business sponsors!
Your support and partnership helps us fulfill our mission of having our students Learn, Lead, & Excel!
SIMONTON ELEMENTARY- WHAT WE STAND FOR
Simonton is committed to dynamic high quality instruction resulting in a passion for learning, leading and excelling.
Every Student Every Day, Deserves to Learn, Lead, and Excel
We commit to giving our students a fresh start every day.
We commit to preparing quality and engaging lessons that will prepare our students to be successful in school.
We commit to teaching, modeling and holding our students accountable for appropriate school behavior.
We commit to providing our students with a structured and safe learning environment.
We commit to a great year of learning, leading, and excelling
Simonton Elementary School
Deputy Superintendent ~ Dr. T. Nakia Towns
Board Member ~ Mr. Steven B. Knudsen
Cluster Superintendent ~ Dr. Keith D. Thompson
Principal ~ Ms. Tamara G. Perkins
Assistant Principal ~ Mr. Nicholas Gilmore
Assistant Principal ~ Dr. Joe Sanfilippo
Assistant Principal ~ Mrs. Amy Steinberg
Location: 275 Simonton Road Southeast, Lawrenceville, GA, USA