Peter the Great Brochure
By Jason Mangano
- First took the throne at 10 years of age in 1682.
- Put Russia on the road to becoming a great modern power.
- Set out to learn about Western Ways for himself in 1697.
- Embarked on a policy of westernization
- Showed no mercy to those who resisted the new order
- Used force to gain territory
- Interested in Western-styled technology and clothing
- Expanded Russia's borders in 1689
- Captured territory along the ballistic sea from the Ottoman Empire in 1709
- Made a new capital called St. Petersburg
- Created a powerful army
- Boyars must shave their beards
- Boyars must serve the state in civilian or military positions
- Nobles retained control over their land