- Length on average 24 to 29 centimeters long.
- Weight Average mass for a meerkat is 720-731 g
- Diet Meerkats have a large diet and have a big variety of food including insects, spiders, snails, rodents, birds, other animal eggs, lizards, and scorpions. Meerkats usually dig to get their food because most of it is small and underground.
- Predators Unfortunately they are prey to larger carnivores like jackals, eagles, and falcons. Meerkats have a method while other meerkats are hunting a few keep watch so the others can hunt without and worry.
- Color The average color for meerkats are gray, tan and brown. Gray, tan and brown are the colors of meerkats surroundings so its good for disguise.
- Habitat Meerkats are found in desert areas. They dig burrows in the ground as homes.
- Natural Range Meerkats live in the southern area of Africa, Botswana,Zimbabwe and Mozambique. (all land marks in Africa.)
as you an see it blends into the rocks around it. They use this ability to hide from predators
This shows how meerkats stand on their hind legs to catch the sun.
meerkats in a group is called a mob, gang or clan.
- The bodies of animals in Animalia (except for sponges) are made of cells organized into tissues. there is around 9 or 10 million species. Most animals are capable of complex movement, compared to other other organisms.
- Animals in the Phylum Chordates are organisms that has a structure called the notochord. The notochord is a bone that goes though most of the body when fully developed. Most animals have 3 germ layers and a well-developed coelom. The Coelom is between the intestines and body wall.
- The animals in this Subphylum have a chain of bony elements that form the main skeletal support axis of the body. Vertebrates include types of fish, reptiles, amphibians, birds, and mammals. animals in this group are able to produce hair, scales, feathers, glands, horn, (ect.)
- All mammals have hair at some part in their life. Their colors almost always are the color of their surroundings. Mammals teeth replace once once though out their life just like how kids lose their teeth, we usually call them our "baby teeth."
- Animals in order Carnivora tend to be medium sized, but there is a range of body sizes as a group. Many of the animals have different colors and patterns to match their surroundings, like green for the rain forest, or striped for the savanna.
- Most animals in this family are brown or gray and few are striped. They also do not have the capability to retract their claws. The skull of these animals are mostly flat and long.
- Only Meerkats
- Suracata Suricatta
Meerkat Natural Range
Burton, M. (2002). Meerkat. In International wildlife encyclopedia (3rd ed., Vol. 12, pp. 1595-1597). New York, NY: Marshall Cavendish.
Fuehrer, T. (n.d.). Suricata suricatta. Retrieved March 11, 2014, from Animal Diversity Web website: http://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Suricata_suricatta/
Geographic, N. (n.d.). Meerkat. Retrieved March 25, 2015, from National Geographic website: http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/meerkat/
Unknown. (2008). Meerkat. Retrieved October, 2014, from BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Meerkat
Zoo, S. D. (n.d.). Meerkat. Retrieved from San Diego Zoo animals website: http://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/meerkat