Tonasket School District
Weekly Update ~ 10/23/2020
"Focused on Learning and Linking Learning to Life"
Be Positive, Be Grateful, Be Involved, Be Flexible
October is Principal Appreciation Month. Please take an opportunity to let our administrators know how much we appreciate them!
The link below is your guide to all things COVID for our school district. We are consistently updating this as guidance changes.
SCHOOL DISTRICT GOALS:
Powerful Teaching and Learning
- On our fall teacher learning day, all certificated staff had a full day of training on Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) delivered by Solutions Tree. The training gave a common framework as staff continues to build skills at authentic PLCs in our buildings.
- THS students will get the chance to attend the Virtual Association of Washington Student Leaders Fall Conference next Friday and Saturday. With multiple keynote speakers and breakout sessions, it should be a great conference.
District Culture and Climate
The links below are to articles dealing with student mental health in relation to activity participation and the COVID risks from after school activities. They are based on research for WA state done by the UW:
Parent and Community Engagement
- “Supt’s On” community connection virtual meeting will be held on Wednesday, November 4. We are starting the English session a little later to accommodate work schedules so the English session will start at 5:30 PM directly followed by the Spanish session at 6:30. Anyone is invited to attend these first Wednesday of the month virtual conversations with the superintendent.
- In my biweekly meeting with the Eastern Washington Quality Schools Coalition, Senator Andy Billig, Senate Majority Leader, met virtually with a group of 20 superintendents from around the state to get an update on schooling and our needs as we go forward. We discussed the need for funding flexibility, transportation funding, mental health concerns, increased costs with COVID, and funding concerns with lower enrollment. The legislative session will likely look different this session with the Senate considering committees virtual and the senate floor work hybrid with only 50% of the members on the floor at this time. The House is considering virtual with committees and the floor work.
Creative and Innovative
Board Policy Updates:
- 3205 BP/P Sexual Harassment of Students Prohibited