5th Grade News
February 8, 2016
Please remind your child to complete his/her Think Through Math homework. The students should be completing 90 minutes of Think Through Math each week. The fulfillment of this requirement will be reflected as a separate assignment in math ("% completed" grade).
- Nurse Carol and her nursing team will be completing the scoliosis examination on 5th grade students on Wednesday, February 17. If your 5th grader is a female, please be sure to have your daughter wear a bra, sports bra, or a swimsuit top on that date. She will also need to bring a hair tie so that she can put her hair up in order for the nurse to see her back?
A message from Mrs. Ramos….
With the Valentine’s Day parties coming up, please note a procedure we started last year at Wells. If you have more than one child at Wells, and you choose to attend one of our class parties during the year, Wells students are not allowed to attend the parties of their siblings. If you want to take your child home after their party, please feel free to do so. Just sign out in the front office. However, if you sign that child out, he or she may not attend the parties later in the day in other grade levels. These students have already had their party, and the classrooms are already crowded with parents. As always, if you have a younger sibling who does not attend Wells yet, he or she is welcome at our parties. Please direct any further questions to Mrs. Ramos at Stefanie.Ramos@pisd.edu.
Curriculum This Week
"Catch of the Day"
Reading Skill: Character and Setting
Identify character traits and motivation
Identify how a character changes from beginning to end
Solve algebraic equations
Write equations based on word problems
- Identify/plot ordered pairs in a quadrant
- Graph additive and multiplicative patterns
- Explore the processes that led to the formation of fossil fuels
- Identify alternative energy sources (ie. wind, geothermal, solar, hydroelectric, biofuels
Science test – Wednesday, February 18 over fossil fuels and alternative energy. Study tip: make vocabulary cards at home to review terms.
- Compare the motives of each side in the American Revolution
What's on the Calendar?
12 Valentine's Party 12:30 - 1:30
15 No School for Students (Professional Development Day)
17 Scoliosis exam (in nurses office for all 5th graders)
18 Multi-cultural Night (6:00 - 7:30)
23 Practice Math STAAR
24 Practice Reading STAAR
1 Picture Day (class picture and spring picture)
3 Open House 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
4 Spirit Assembly 8:00 a.m.
7-11 SPRING BREAK
18 End of 3rd nine-weeks
24 Report Cards
25 NO SCHOOL (spring holiday)
29 Math STAAR
30 Reading STAAR
11-15 Spring Book Fair
21 Progress Reports
9 Math STAAR Retest
10 Reading STAAR Retest
11 Science STAAR
19 Haggard Field Trip (tour of school)
12-26 MAP Testing
27 No School (Teacher Work Day) (or a snow make-up day)
30 No School (Memorial Day)
2 Class Party (9:30 - 10:30)
Graduation (6:30 - 9:00 p.m.)
3 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
8:00 - 9:00 Spirit Assembly
12: 00 EARLY RELEASE
Click to see 5th grade's Instagram pictures. Follow us on Instagram. Since our account is private, be sure to send an email to your child's homeroom teacher notifying her of your Instagram username.