LORI Certification Update
The OLIS/LORI certification window remains open for school libraries until September 30.
Library Media Specialists who have completed certification in LibPAS indicate it is a simple, straightforward process. All of the previous year’s data is stored in the form and does not need to be updated unless there have been changes. You will need to enter your 2019-2020 ILL statistics which are available here.
The credentials for you to submit certification data to OLIS were emailed on July 15 to your library’s RILINK email address. Please view this screencast to learn more about RILINK email addresses, including how to forward them to the email account of your choice.
If you have not completed your 2020 Library Certification please take advantage of the last opportunity for training. We are advising school library media specialists to complete the 2020 LORI Certification to the best of their abilities in order to maintain delivery service when it resumes. Delivery for the 2021-22 school year will also be affected if certification lapses.
LORI Certification Training & Support (from OLIS calendar)
The program will introduce the new LORI Certification platform at LibPAS. We [OLIS] will provide an overview of the site navigation and the steps required for the signed Certification form. Registration is required for this program.
If you have any questions about your RILINK/LORI email, please contact Karen.
50 BookLynx eBooks Added for September
As always, Donna Good looks forward to receiving your requests and recommendations. Just fill out the form at https://rilink.libwizard.com/f/eBookrequest.
A Few More Notes about eBooks, Audio Books, & Apps
Please note the following when working with Follett/BookLynx eBooks and digital audio books:
- They will not appear in your library's catalog unless you add them. Directions are available at https://tinyurl.com/ycdylnrv.
- They are single user. This means that if anyone at any RILINK library has checked it out, it is not available to anyone else. However, RILINK has purchased multiple copies of some titles.
- They cannot have Holds placed on them, nor can they be renewed. You can check out the same title again if it is still available.
- Statistics are kept separately and are available in Destiny Discover in Menu option Admin/Reports. See statistics for this current school year (August 1, 2020 and forward) by running the eContent Usage Statistics Report.
- The new Destiny Discover App allows the user to read eBooks, but not listen to audio books. This functionality is coming later, so you will still need the Destiny Read App for audio books. Chromebooks with a web browser offer more functionality at this point.
The Follett Destiny App is still available for checking books in and out and will work on your smartphone, which is helpful if you are doing circulation from a cart. To set it up after you download it
- enter ricat.net as the address for your catalog
- then choose your library from the list, which is in alphabetical order.
If the App is already installed and you need to log into a different library site,
- log out from the current site
- click on the option to Log into a different server to
- enter ricat.net
- choose another library
The login in screen will come up again for you enter your username and password.
Generating Lists of Student & Teacher Usernames
With both students and teachers logging into Destiny, a list of usernames may be needed to identify problems and clarify any issues with usernames. To generate the list
- Login to the library’s Destiny Back Office site
- Go to the Reports tab
- Click on Report Builder
- Locate the reports called “Student Usernames” and “Teacher Usernames" to produce a file of each sorted in alphabetical order by last name.
When the report has finished, it is located in Report Manager under the Reports tab. The Excel file can be downloaded to allow editing. Passwords cannot be added to the report as Destiny does not display them for security reasons. If you are unsure about the formula for passwords for your district/school, please contact email@example.com. Please note that the formula for teacher usernames and passwords my be different from the one used for students.
Please Note: students are not being updated
- if the district has not yet sent update files for students or teachers
- or has not restarted sending files to our secure ftp server for daily updates.
Also, since RILINK updates by SASID (State ID), any students in the file being sent without a SASID will not get updated. Student Usernames that use student ID numbers beginning with zeroes will have those zeroes in the Username as well. However, Destiny ignores them when creating barcode numbers.
New Virtual Book Display Feature in Destiny Discover
RILINK continues to provide virtual sessions at the request of members. These sessions are customized to meet the needs of the requesting librarian, a group of librarians or teachers, or a district. RILINK has already provided sessions for the 2020-21 school year for Barrington, North Kingstown, and Pawtucket. Learn more about these opportunities on the Professional Learning page at https://guides.rilink.org/prolearningopps.
Many members attended a Professional Learning session about Exploring Nature Science Education Resources during the summer conference. We passed along your feedback to Sheri Amsel, our contact at Exploring Nature. As a result she added a link to CloudConvert to the Exploring Nature homepage to make it easier to upload materials from the database to Google classroom and other learning management systems. Also, she will continue to make the curriculum bundles on various topics available for free. The list of free curriculum bundles by grade level is on the Distance Learning Resources page of the RILINK website.
The bundles can be accessed using the links on the list.
- Click Add Cart for titles to be downloaded.
- Choose Purchase Order for Method of Payment. The PO number to complete the process has been sent to list.
Ms. Amsel will also generate lists of resources for requested topics. Send topics to Jackie at firstname.lastname@example.org or directly to Sheri at email@example.com to receive a list of links to specific resources on the website.