The Spartan Standard
Creating Coherent Systems That Promote Learning For All
Our Mission: Why We Do The Right Thing
- Academic rigor across the curriculum fostering lifelong intellectual curiousity
- A climate of respect, fairness, equality, and security promoting individual confidence and responsibility
- A culture of collaboration between school, family, and community
- A proactive network of student support
- Exciting, unprecedented opportunities for student involvement
- Creative and artistic expression
- State of the Art Technology
Mary Rose's Schedule
Monday, November 17:
7:30 Classroom visits
12:00 Counselors re: Master Schedule
1:39 PLC/Advisory Group (English 9)
2:45 A-Team Mtg.
2:55 Make-up Faculty Meeting
4:00 Human Resources
Tuesday, November 18:
8:30 Coffee with the Principal @ Learning Lab
9:10 Walkthroughs @ SYHS
12:00 AVID Team Mtg.
12:37 Dept. Chair Meeting @ Learning Lab
1:30 S. Huezo @ District Office
2:50 School Site Council Mtg.
6:30 PTSA @ Learning Lab
Wednesday, November 19:
9:00 R. Leyba school visit
2:50 Special Faculty Meeting--WASC @ Learning Lab
Thursday, November 20: Extended Lunch--Potato Topper For Staff
8:00 iPad Training @ Computer Lab
12:00 Potato Topper Luncheon @ Learning Lab
6:00 Board Meeting HS Principal Presentation
6:00 AVID Parent Meeting
7:00 Band Pageant @ SWC
Friday, November 21:
7:45 Calendar Mtg. @ Learning Lab
9:00 Classroom visits
4:00 CTFLC @ Learning Lab
Monday, November 24 - Friday, November 28:
THANKSGIVING BREAK--No School
School will be closed all week.
Monday, December 1: Shortened Day
1:39 PLC Collaboration
Tuesday, December 2:
6:00 Holiday Sing
Wednesday, December 3:
2:50 FAC Meeting @ Learning Lab
Thursday, December 4:
9:00 HS Principal PLC @ CPH
12:37 Dept. Chair Mtg. @ Learning Lab
6:00 Mariachi District Concert @ MOH Gym
Friday, December 5:
7:45 Calendar Mtg. @ Learning Lab
3:00 Filipino School
9:00 Main Attraction @ Balboa Park (December Nights)
Saturday, December 6:
8:00 Saturday School
Kudos and Thanks
- Please warmly welcome Marisa Renteria, our new Instructional Assistant, to the Chula Vista High School family. Marisa is a CVHS alumnae. She is happy to be home. She will primarily collaborate with World Language teachers to provide support for our students.
- Congratulations to Tony Atienza, whose Main Attraction will be performing at Balboa's Park's December Nights (Christmas at the Prado).
- Kudos and thanks to Rebecca Calderon for coordinating our Holiday giving effort. Through your generosity, Rebecca received over $700.00 in staff donations. Kudos to Tom Hassey for also reaching out to his business friends who also generously gave. There will be enough to feed 37 students and their families. Plus, we will have money for Christmas Holiday giving too! Thank you to all of you who donated to the cause. Your generosity changes lives. Yes, you can still give donations to Rebecca.
- Thank you and Kudos, Hilda Bender, for organizing GATE Testing for 34 of our students who have been identified to potentially qualify for the designation.
- He really does not have to, but Alain Garnica-Mendoza has been attending every iPad Training in the computer lab to ensure that our staff is all set and ready to go with all the apps that need to be downloaded. Thank you and Kudos!
- Through Nancy Penuelas' coordination and your cooperation, 188 eligible A-G seniors attended the SDSU presentation at the PAC on Friday, November 14 during Period Two. Kudos and Thank you to all of you and the Counseling Team! College Making It Happen!
Fall Piano Concert
Debbie Nevin-Armstrong and Linda Scott.
Pianists & Audience
The audience showed full support by clapping for every student before and after each performance.
Gabriel Nieto wowed the audience with his rendition of "1st Arabesque" by Debussy.
As we walk through, we will continue to look for the following:
- DLT in the correct format
- Structured Student Interaction: How do you structure student conversation and collaboration so students can develop their proficiency in using academic language and critical thinking?
- For Monday: How is Intervention time being used to support or enrich students?
- You are to work on the agenda that you had agreed upon based on your last PLC collaboration.
- Including this week, we have
- A reminder that everyone is expected to stay on campus until the end of the PLC time. Thank you for your professionalism.
- Please consult the handout given during the Pre-Service days if you need clarification on PLC tasks and products. In terms of Unit Planning, the instructional guides should serve as your guide.
- Minutes and products are to be turned in to me via our CANVAS page. Please see your Curriculum Coach for details on how to upload minutes and work products.
Thank you for your engagement and hard work!
Special Faculty Meeting Agenda
November 19 is a Special Faculty Meeting for the purpose of finalizing/finishing Chapter IV of our WASC Report. We will continue with our WASC Focus Group work. All staff need to report to their Focus Group meeting place (the same place where you met last week).
- Focus Groups will finalize strengths and prioritized areas of need.
- Focus Groups, in reviewing their report, will answer their critical question/s (Focus Group Leaders have their respective critical question).
- Focus Groups will identify strategies to address their top areas of need.
- All Focus Group narratives are due to Deborah Nevin-Armstrong before the end of the duty day via E-mail or Google Doc link on Friday, November 21, 2014.
Thank you for your hard work.
Technology Tips from Christine Yarzabek (Our Friendly Apple Trainer)
iTunes U is a free app for teachers and students. It gives you access to complete courses from leading colleges/universities and schools from across the globe. iTunes U is the largest digital collection of free educational resources. This tool allows you to learn anytime and anywhere! Students can explore their interests and teachers can supplement their lessons with wonderful videos, web links, appls, and more. You can do everything from a tour around Stanford University to taking a course on Economics with Harvard. This is an app that all students and teachers should explore!
Check it out:
For The Common Good
- Thanksgiving Break Reminders: Please make sure that you empty and unplug your refrigerator, computer, and mini-appliances. Please take home food that will spoil. Same with your personal belongings. Secure school equipment in locked cabinets. The custodians will take the opportunity to deep clean some classrooms so please put your clutter away. They should be able to easily take out computers, tech carts, and furniture (tables, chairs) without having to worry about fragile items or the importance of papers. The office will be CLOSED all week. If you really have to be on campus, please inform the custodians on duty that you are here. You are expected to leave campus before the end of the custodians' duty day. They need to secure the campus by making sure all doors and gates are locked. Thank you for your assistance. I am thankful for each and every one of you who work hard on behalf of students. Have a restful break with your family and friends.
- Activities, Field Trips, and Fundraisers: ALL proposed activities, field trips, and fundraisers MUST go through DiAnne Cabe, Assistant Principal of Student Activities. All Club Advisors and teachers planning field trips, shows, and fundraisers must get approval from Ms. Cabe before proceeding with raising money, ordering buses, or publicizing their activities. In addition to ensuring that there will be no major activities conflicts, Ms. Cabe can walk anyone through the requirements and paperwork needed for activities. Thank you for your cooperation to ensure activities protocols are followed.