In the Loop
September 3, 2020
Trussville City Schools Has Completed 15 years!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TCS!
2005 - 2020
Trussville City Schools is starting our 16th year as a school system. Wow! It has been a busy few years since our 10th birthday celebration. Let's celebrate some of our recent accomplishments:
- TCS was named one of the 2019 National Districts of Distinction by the District Administrator magazine.
- All five schools in Trussville have all A’s on the State Report Card and TCS is 1 of 8 School Districts in the State to earn an “A” at every school.
- TCS ranks #4 academically in the State of Alabama with a 95 on the State Report Card
- TCS Graduation Rate is 97.6 % while the state graduation rate is 89.3%
- TCS is accredited by AdvancED
- TCS ACT results = composite average score of 22.3 which is above the Alabama state score of 18.9
- “30up Club” for students achieving a score of 30 and above on the ACT and our freshman reports from state schools show that our students perform well in the post-secondary school curriculum.
- National Merit Semi-Finalist
- Seven SRO's
- We have 7 award winning Academies at HTHS.
- Trussville City Schools awarded the Excellence in Communications Award for In the Loop by the Alabama School Public Relations Association.
- TCS and the city plan to implement new academies, increase post-secondary early college options, and match workforce needs with training in a new Education Corridor.
- Bill Roberts was recognized by Alabama Association of School Boards for All-State School Board Member.
- Superintendent was awarded the Outstanding Alumni Administrator by Auburn University College of Education.
- Superintendent named District 5 Superintendent of the Year
- April Chamberlain, Technology Coordinator, was recognized by Alabama Public Television for PBS Digital Innovator of the Year.
- TCS athletics was named #1 Best High School for sports in Alabama by Niche.
- We compete at the state 7A championship level in football, track, baseball, softball and girls basketball.
- We have an award-winning character education program known as P.A.C.E. (Positive Attitudes Change Everything) along with suicide prevention and anti-bullying initiatives delivered by the System Social Worker and school counselors.
- TCS recognized by the Hope Institute/Samford University for cultivating a culture of character development though participation in Year One of the Hope Leadership Academy.
- HTHS Marching Husky Band Named the Fox 6 Band of the Year
- 2019 State Trumbauer Theatre Competition winners
- Magnolia Elementary School and Cahaba Elementary School named State Bicentennial Schools
- Our Transportation Department receives regular Outstanding Bus Inspection Awards by ALSDE.
- Our CNP staff receives regular 100’s on Health Department inspections in each cafeteria
- Our school budget is balanced and our reserves are over the ALSDE requirements. We have clean audits each year with no findings by the external examiners.
- We received 2 state level Attorney General Safe Schools Awards, 2016 at HTHS and 2018 at HTMS.
- New academic and fine arts wing at Hewitt-Trussville Middle School is completed and classroom space is available at other schools for projected increases in student population due to new housing in Trussville.
- Hoover Mayor Frank Brocato commended the HTHS student section at the Hoover game for cleaning their side of the stadium and thanked for such a tremendous demonstration of class and sportsmanship.
- Five Storm Shelters in our schools
- TCS was recognized with the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) Award for 5 years
- Girls in Engineering Program are in partnership with Alabama Power
- TCS has additional academic and athletic support from Trussville City Schools Education Foundation and Trussville City Schools Athletic Foundation
- Superintendent chaired the state mental health task force and TCS is following legislation to fund mental health personnel in each school system to meet the needs of students.
- Two Senior students chosen to participate in Boys State
State Representative Danny Garrett stopped by September 2, 2020 to deliver some great news in the form of a check to each school. Thank you Representative Garrett for supporting our schools!
Calendar Update for Parents - Important Information
At the August 31, 2020 Board Meeting, changes were made to the 2020-21 school calendar to allow faculty and staff the time needed for planning, lesson design and preparation to ensure quality lessons for our students in Trussville.
Schools will be closed for students
on the following additional days this year:
Tuesday, September 8
Friday, October 9
Friday, April 23
Trussville Area Chamber of Commerce and Trussville Businesses Celebrate TCS Faculty & Staff
The Trussville Area Chamber of Commerce and Trussville area businesses joined the Trussville Board of Education in thanking the faculty and staff of Trussville City Schools for their dedication and hard work to reopen schools for our precious students.
At the August 31 Board meeting, the Board approved a $500 reopening supplement, 3 extra workdays for faculty/staff, and helping hands in the form of substitute teachers to assist faculty with specific instructional needs.
In addition, Trussville Area Chamber of Commerce Executive Director June Mathews sent an email to TCS Wednesday with the following offers from local community businesses who also wanted to express their appreciation and gratitude with discounts during the month of September 2020 for all TCS employees.
Thank you Trussville Area Chamber of Commerce and our local businesses for supporting the faculty and staff of Trussville City Schools!
Area Business Supporters for this "Rockstar" event are:
Trussville Area Chamber of Commerce
Meals by Misty
Spare Time Entertainment
Quest for Health Chiropractic
Parcels Too Business Center
Express Oil Change
Three Earred Rabbit
Food Integrated Training (formerly, Chocolate Biscuit)
Trussville To Go
Thank you for your support of Trussville City Schools!
REGISTER NOW....ACT PREP CLASS
ACT PREP CLASS
HEWITT-TRUSSVILLE HIGH SCHOOL
Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Tuesdays – 2nd Floor B wing AND Thursdays – 2nd Floor Main Hall
8 classes per ACT test session with 4 total sessions offered
Tuesdays will be dedicated to ENGLISH/READING/WRITING/SCIENCE.
Thursdays will be dedicated to MATH.
The NONREFUNDABLE FEE FOR THE COURSE IS $300,
which includes an ACT prep book and additional resources.
The fee covers an 8 class session for one ACT prep class; however, we will allow students to attend additional sessions throughout this CURRENT school year at no additional cost!!!!
The first session will be for the
October 10th ACT TEST
ACT PREP CLASS REGISTRATION
This must be submitted for each session you will attend, even when you’ve already paid.
Student Name ________________________________________________________________
Student Phone Number _______________________________ (This is the number that will be
used in a Group Message to contact students if there is a change in schedule due to inclement weather or other unforeseen events.)
Parent Name(s) and email_________________________________________________________
Current session for which you are enrolling ___________________________________________
Have you taken the ACT before?____________________ Latest composite score__________
*Attach a copy of your latest scores to this registration sheet if you have already taken the ACT.*
Give a brief description below of subjects and concepts for which you feel you need to focus.
While we completely understand that events will come up that require you to miss these sessions, it is your responsibility to come get what you missed from your instructors. We’ll be more than happy to help you catch up. We also encourage you to send us your score after the test. We want to continuously improve the course to help you. Finally, we encourage you to take full advantage of this course by being punctual and refraining from using your cell phone when you are in attendance. Parents, feel free to email us with questions.
Please check the appropriate spaces:
_____________ ACT PREP CLASS $300 payment (ACT prep book is included in your payment.)
_____________ No payment. I am repeating the course and have already paid.
_____________ Amount of payment included __________Check/Cash _____
· Deadline for payment is Friday, September 11th.
· Please make checks payable to Trussville City Schools and bring to HTHS main office.
· Include the attached registration form with your check.
· Contact Vanessa.Romano@trussvillecityschools.com with questions.
· For inclement weather events, please check our Twitter, HTHS Facebook, or the trussvillecityschools.com site for cancellation notifications.
See the ACT official website to register for the ACT test. http://www.actstudent.org
***We DO NOT register students for the test nor is it included in any way in the test prep payment and registration.
2020-2021 ACT TEST DATES
October 10, 2020
December 12, 2020
February 6, 2021
April 17, 2021
· ACT offers June and July tests. See the ACT website for more information. We do not offer classes for these test dates.
ACT PREP session dates for the
October 10th ACT TEST
Tuesday, September 15
Thursday, September 17
Tuesday, September 22
Thursday, September 24
Tuesday, September 29
Thursday, October 1
Tuesday, October 6
Thursday, October 8
If you have already taken the ACT have your ACT score analysis sheet WITH YOU. This will enable the instructor to give more precise instruction for your needs, based on your analysis.
Led by Certified High School instructors!
COVID 19 Symptoms
Be Kind to Others by Practicing the 3 W's
1. Wash your hands
2. Watch your distance
3.Wear a mask
HTHS Men's Soccer Tryouts!
November 9th, 10th, 12th, 16th, and 18th
7:00 - 8:30 pm at the Game Field
All players must complete forms on DragonFly prior to tryouts
All players must have appropriate equipment - cleats, shin guards, soccer socks
All players must be on the tryout roster google form:
Scan QR code to access google form
Shane Ashcraft - email@example.com
Tyler Marlow - firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Cane - email@example.com
Trussville City Fest is Coming!
Tailgate & Celebrate
September 26, 2020
Trussville City Schools Foundation Presents....
Trussville Park & Recreation
Halloween Zombie 5K and FunRun
First 100 to sign up get goody bags
Register online at Trussville.org
Annual Candy Drop will follow the Race
Saturday, October 24, 2020
Race Starts at 5:00
Starting Line: Spradling Field / Finish Line: Sports Complex
5K Price $25 Adults/$15 (HS and under)
Fun Run: Free
For questions contact Chevelle Lee at Clee@trussville.org or 205-508-0359
Trussville Park & Rec Youth Wrestling
Youth Wrestling is Back!
Powered by Iron Clad
November 2 February 6, 2021
Age Groups: 5 - 12 years of age
Price: $425.00 per wrestler
Practice at Hewitt-High School Wrestling Room
Practice Days: Tuesday and Thursday
Registration Dates: August 1 - October 26
Register on-line: Trussville Parks and Recreation Website
Information: Zach Manning; firstname.lastname@example.org