FIRST GRADE FLASH
GARDEN OF LEARNING-September 25th
DIGGING INTO ACADEMICS
We are learning about Apples. ( life cycle, seasons, tastes, apple dishes, etc)
We picked apples from the Shoemaker Apple Tree.
We are practicing short a patterns...an, at, ad, ag, ap, am.
We are learning about addition.
We are learning to write an opinion, narrative and informational piece about apples.
We are learning about Johnny Apple Seed. Happy Birthday Johnny ...September 26th.
We are learning how people and animals move.
We are learning about the 4 seasons. Wednesday is the first day of Fall. Happy Fall!
We will observe and do experiments using apples. We will make applesauce. We will graph our apple favorites. We will have an Apple Fest. Please sign up below .
We will read Big Rigs and Miss Jill and see how products go from the Farm to the Store.
We will learn about short i words.
We will learn to classify and categorize.
We will write an informational piece, narrative piece and opinion piece about apples.
We will practice addition strategies.
Calendar of Events
23rd School Closed
25th 1:00 dismissal
24-25th Mrs. Arnold will be in OBX for a mini vacation
28th Apple Festival and making applesauce
3rd Applebees Pancake Breakfast
9th Mustang Meeting 2:00 First Grades will sing.
12th In Service Day school closed
23rd field trip to Savidge Farm
- Please sign up for conferences ASAP. it closes Oct. 2nd.
- Please sign up for Apple Festival if you' d like to help or donate.
- Please remind first graders to keep their Vocabulary and Little Reader Folders at home until they are complete. I'd suggest you keep the old Little Readers and any close reading passages in a small basket or box so students can go back and read them again.
- Did you sign up to go to PTO Applebees Flap Jack Fundraiser?...you can find the info on the Shoemaker or PTO sites.
- ATTENTION PARENTS: Our First Graders will be performing 1 song at the Mustang Meeting on October 9th at 2:00. All parents are welcome!
TOP TURTLE OWEN
Please bring pictures on Monday and fill out All About Me Form
PLease click on two links below to sign up for conferences or to help with our Apple Fest on Monday!
CHECK OUT THESE SITES TO REINFORCE SKILLS TAUGHT
Please look for the flyer with directions for your child to practice addition facts at home as well as in school. I have showed the students the site but please log on at home to get them more familiar with the site.
Each month we will do ACTS of KINDNESS… please help in anyway you can…
September…we are collecting paper products and toiletries for the Shelter
Please send in toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, toothpaste, band aides etc.
We are also going to help send some cheer to a little girl (kindergarten age from the L. V.)just diagnosed with Leukemia. Our class will be making cards and we’d like to send her some things to do during her visits to the hospital…coloring books, markers, crayons, colored pencils, books, stickers, etc. Please send any donations by the end of this week.