The Planet Earth
a.k.a The Third Rock from the Sun
Distance from the Sun
150,000,000 km is a very large numbers so scientists developed a different unit of measure to use instead. This new number is called an astronomical unit (AU) . An AU is defined as the distance from the Sun to the Earth. 150,000,000 km = 1 AU
Distance from Sun
The Earth is 150,000,000 km or 1 AU from the Sun.
Earth and its moon
The Earth has 1 moon
The atmosphere is made of several layers
The moon's diameter is about 3400 km, that makes the moon about the same size across as the United States.
Other Information about Earth
- Earth is a terrestrial planet.
- A day on the Earth lasts for 24 hours.
- A year on the Earth - one time around the Sun - takes 365 days.
- Earth is the only planet in our solar system where water exists as a liquid, a solid, and a gas at the same time
- Earth's average temperature is about 15 degrees Celsius - which is about 61 degrees Fahrenheit