Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 2/1
Monday: Write each root and meaning 5x each.
Tuesday: Write each vocabulary words and definition. Underline the vocabulary words & verbally share a sentence for each with an adult!
Wednesday: Use each vocabulary word correctly in a sentence in writing.
Thursday: Study with an adult. On the test, students are expected to know the meaning of each root and the definition of each vocabulary word.
We'll get used to routines this week & I will gladly answer questions along the way. Again, an understanding of roots will help your child's vocabulary SOAR!!! Wherever possible, discuss the vocabulary words & try using in sentences to help your child make connections to our content. Please let me know if you have questions.
End of Quarter Sledding Party
Updates & Announcements:
KoMets vs. Cancer Change Drive: Please see below about this week's donation drive to support the KoMets vs. Cancer program. Send in loose change this week & help our class fill our jar!
February Conferences: I am looking forward to meeting for conferences on 2/11 & 2/16. If you have yet to schedule your child's conference, slots are available on the PTCFast system or you may contact me to look at alternate dates/times if needed.
K-M Science Fair: Science Fair idea/permission slips can be brought back any time. You may also email me to let me know your child is participating. Be sure to check out http://www.sciencebuddies.org/ for project ideas! Please let me know how I can help with ideas and resources. The Science Fair is a fantastic opportunity for students.
Valentine's Day Celebration Plans:
We will be having our Valentine’s Day party on Friday, February 12th. Your child may make or bring in a valentine box or bag from home beginning on 2/11. I will send home a letter with a class list, but will also include the list below.
In addition to exchanging valentines, we will be playing a dice game. If you are able to donate small prizes for our game ($1 store items, snack/treat items, cards/games etc.), please let me know! It would be great if you could wrap the items in newspaper & label B, G, or B/G for boy, girl, or either - or you may also send in unwrapped.
Further, there will be a baby picture guessing game. I invite each child to bring a baby picture of him- or herself to be used for our guessing game.
I'm looking forward to a great celebration with students! Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Fourth Grade Basketball Tournament
This Week's Objectives:
- We are concluding our novel study of Number the Stars.
- We are continuing to read the January issue of Storyworks.
- We are writing our own "pourquoi tales" after reading How Night Came from the Sea.
- We are building reading stamina and practicing CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expanding Vocabulary) strategies for reading.
- We are solving equal-grouping division problems.
- We are solving division problems using the partial-quotients algorithm.
- We are continuing to practice solving multidigit multiplication problems.
- We are building our speed and accuracy with basic multiplication and division facts.
Science & Social Studies:
- We are learning about human body systems and our bodies' defenses for germs.
- Students are continuing their study of states and national symbols.
We made homemade butter as follow-up to reading and discussing Number the Stars
Encourage IXL Use at Home for Practice & Enrichment!
Wishing you a terrific week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.