Literacy News from Sarah Pagogna
November 2021 Edition
Essential Instructional Practice focus for November- Essential 4 Phonological Awareness
• sorting pictures, objects, and written words by a sound or sounds
• activities that involve segmenting sounds in words
• activities that involve blending sounds in words
• daily opportunities to write meaningful texts in which they listen for the sounds in words to estimate their spellings
Interactive Phonemic Awareness Activities
- Read The Hungry Thing by Jan Slepian
- Students will predict what the Hungry Thing would like to eat
- After reading, create a classbook with your students. Maybe titled, The Hungry Children. Students can generate ideas of foods they would like to eat and change the beginnng sound to make a silly word!
Mrs. Pagogna is hungry for farshmellows. So I gave her some marshmellows!
I like to eat mizza. Mrs. Pagogna gave me pizza.
Words of Wisdom from Dr. Nell Duke
Take the Perception Survey to check your knowledge and comfort level with Essential 4
Wednesday 1/2 day at Torrey Hill and 1/2 day at West Shore
Friday at West Shore