Union Center Elementary
Principal Fuller's Updates and Thoughts
July 31st, 2020
Welcome, Union Center Families!
With a little less than two weeks until the start of school on Wednesday, August 12th, our UCE Staff is working diligently to prepare a safe, fun school building for your children!
- I want to thank all of our returning and new families for their patience and understanding during registration this past week. The in-person registration went smooth, and our online registration had barely a hitch! If you were unable to register or know of a family that still needs to register, please contact Mrs. Owens at 219-759-2544 to schedule a time for next week!
- For all returning Union Center Families, next Wednesday, August 5th from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, two very important events will happen: 1) Any bagged items that were left in the building will be placed on a table on the playground for parents to pick-up. Any items left after Wednesday will be donated. 2) Wednesday will also be the day to return any Chromebooks that were borrowed and have yet to be returned. Chromebook return will happen at the front of the UCE building (follow the signs on the door). If your family has chosen the virtual option and you still have a Chromebook, please STILL return the Chromebook and new Chromebooks will be issued at a later date before the start of school.
- For those wondering about who their child's teacher will be this upcoming year, rest assured that information will be available soon. As we continue to work through re-arranging classrooms to adjust for Virtual Learners, our plan is to have that information available to parents by mid next week :)
- Beginning of the Year Events: We realize the importance and value of the events that we hold at the beginning of each school year to welcome students and families to Union Center. This year, these traditional back to school events have been canceled in order to limit building access to students and staff according to our re-entry plan. After registration, all visitors to our building will be by appointment only. Our intent is to still provide opportunities for families to feel welcome, connected, and more at ease as we transition into a new school year. While these events will not be in-person, grade levels and individual teachers will work to create some form of virtual Back to School event for their students and families :)
Job Openings at Union Center
- Evening Custodian (12:00-8:00)- Responsibilities include cleaning of individual classrooms, hallways, bathrooms, etc.
- Lunchroom and Recess Aides (10:30-2:00)- Responsibilities include supervision of lunchroom and recess students.
COVID-19 Student Guidance
- The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) has released some wonderful tips to parents about how to begin having the conversation with your child regarding wearing a mask. Please click HERE for more information.
- For a look at the difference between Quarantine and Isolation, please take a look at the attachment HERE.
2019-2020 Leftover Supply Pick-Up
Wednesday, Aug. 5th, 9am-3pm
Union Center Playground
2019-2020 Chromebook Return
Wednesday, Aug. 5th, 9am-3pm
Union Center Front Entrance
Principal Fuller's Thoughts
Life is different today than it was five months ago; in many ways, life has changed even from a month ago. We listen to health officials and politicians, and we do everything we can to sort through all the extracurricular in order to find the information that will help us make decisions about what is best for our children and family.
I've spoken to quite a few of our parents this week, as the option to choose between in-person or virtual learning is a big decision in households throughout the country right now. Without question, this is a family decision, and a decision that affects each family differently.
With that being said, just know there is no wrong answer in doing what a parent feels is best for their child.
All of our staff at Union Center have been working and preparing to start school with the proper safety guidelines, and we are taking every precaution to ensure that every student and staff member that enters the building is safe, first and foremost.
We have missed our students and families tremendously while away, and we look forward to seeing everyone either in-person or virtually on Wednesday, August 12th! :)