Ms. Kang's Update
Dear Field Families...
These are the same updates from October 30th. Please see below if you had not had a chance to view last week's. Thank you!
If you ever wondered how you can support your child's math learning at home, Curriculum Associates has resources to help you understand the math strategies that students are using in school. You can access these on the Family Resources page through the student dashboard.
- Log into your child's iReady icon on Clever.
- Click MATH
- Click BOOKSHELF (bottom)
- Click the workbook image
- Click FAMILY RESOURCES (top right)
You will see two resources:
- Unit Flow and Progression Video: These videos show the progression of concepts in each unit and include ideas for using the models and making connections.
- Family Letters: These are also in the student workbooks at the beginning of each lesson.
- Pasadena's Parade of Roses will take place from November 2nd to 16th. Students may be inspired by this year’s Parade of Roses theme: Dream. Believe. Achieve., but this does not have to influence their design ideas. Please click here for more information. Submissions should go to your child's homeroom teacher.
- Electronic Report Cards through Parent Portal will be available to view on Monday, November 2nd. If you need to create an account for Parent Portal. Please look at the PDF below.
Have a great weekend! :)
Difference between Canvas Parent App and Student App
- Only the student one can allow your child to submit assignments.
- Cannot use the PUSD-issued QR code.
- Need to know your child's PUSD email and password. [See below for algorithm.]
- Allows you to view upcoming or past assignments, check on grades, and receive alerts for student activity.
- Click here for more information about the parent app. In order to use the parent app, you need to link yourself to your child with a pairing code. [See picture below for steps.]
Canvas Student App Tutorials
- How to upload an Assignment from Google Drive to the Canvas App on an iOS device
- How to log-in (with one or multiple student accounts)
- All About Canvas Student App (by Canvas)
- How to submit a paper/pencil assignment (e.g. workbook, written work, art, etc.) as a JPEG file (AKA picture)
How to submit a paper/pencil assignment as a PDF file (AKA document)
PUSD log-in credentials (Email/Password)
Kinder students received a QR code in their bag that can be scanned from the log-in screen. Click SCAN QR CODE on the log-in screen.
Returning 1st and 2nd grade students can use their old QR code. If lost, please contact your homeroom teacher.
- DEFAULT USERNAME/EMAIL:
[1st char of last name capitalized, 2nd char of last name lowercase] + [Last 4 digits of student ID] + [1st char of first name capitalized, 2nd char of first name lowercase] + [2 digit birth month] + [2 digit birth day] Example: Henry Monroy (born 08/19/2001) = Mo1234He0819@pusd.us
- DEFAULT PASSWORD:
[First letter of first name capitalized] + [First letter of last name lowercase] + [6 digit student ID]
Example: Eliud Garnica (student ID 991234) = Eg991234
If you are a new student to PUSD, you can utilize the information above to log on as well.
If you are a returning student and cannot log in, you will need to reset your password. Contact Ms. Carol or Ms. Amanda to assist.
Want to know more about Chromebooks? Click here for the slides.
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Meaning of icons/buttons
- How to make split screen with 2 tabs
How do you get rid of the Proxy Pop-up Box?
1. Go to arms.pusd.us
2. Sign-in using student account.
Want to connect your home printer to student Chromebook?
How to Set up Cloud Print with Chromebook
Do you want your child to log-in using another device?
*Don't forget to log out of all other accounts.
Tips for lagging/slow Chromebooks
Check to see you Chromebook is up to date:
- Log into Chromebook
- Go to Settings (Bottom right hand corner)
- Click ABOUT CHROME OS
- Click CHECK FOR UPDATES
Habits for our Little Techsperts (AKA our students)
Please share the following with your child(ren):
1. Memorize or have your username and password next to you.
2. You should sign out, shut down your chromebook daily. [Why? It allows for updates to be installed and for you to re-authenticate you accounts at the start of each school day.]
3. You make sure your chromebook is charged for the next day.
4. If you aren't able to access Clever, you can use direct links to log into Canvas (pasadena.instructure.com) and log into Webex (pusd.webex.com) to ensure you can access your classes. [Tip: Bookmark these!]
5. Use various strategies to problem-solve including:
- refresh the page
- check that the cookies are "allowed" [video below]
- re-authenticate webex account [video below]
- shut off your device
- clear browser data
- clean Google Drive files/photos/screenshots
6. If you tried every strategy you possibly could think of and it's still not working, submit a ticket to the helpdesk (with the help of your parent/guardian).
Below is a creative flowchart to help become problem-solvers with Webex. This was created by own very own 5th grade student, Penelope Vuong, and her sister who is a former student of Field.
Help! Webex Meeting is Not Loading!
- Look at your address/URL bar and locate the eye icon that is crossed out
- Click on the eye
- Then click on the link titled, "Site not working?"
- Then click on Allow Cookies: Click here for a tutorial.
Help! I'm getting an error message when trying to attend Webex Meetings, and it's asking me to authenticate the account.
In order to fix this there are 3 items to check. See the three steps and this video:
- Be sure to shutdown and restart your device daily.
- Visit arms.pusd.us and make sure you are logged in to the PUSD Portal.
- Visit pusd.webex.com and sign in.
Your students may not need to complete all of these, but checking these three items will help ensure that they can get connected.
ITS Helpdesk and Curbside Tech Support
PUSD will be providing direct support to families and students experiencing technology issues that interfere with their ability to access online instruction. Our Helpdesk team and Curbside Tech Support team can help provide support for Chromebook repairs, hotspot requests, and system support. If your child can't access your teacher's course, virtual meeting, or curriculum, please reach out to their teacher first so that they can help you troubleshoot.
Helpdesk team has extended hours starting at 7:00am through 7:00pm Monday - Friday. You can also reach them by calling 626-396-3699, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or submitting a ticket while logged into your PUSD account at gopusd.com/helpdesk.