Holy Name of Mary, November 30th, 2018
You made it! Thank you to all of you for giving it your all this week. November is a tough month, and it's especially difficult to drag yourself in for that last day of the week when you've had late parent-teacher interviews the night before.
We hope you enjoyed finishing off the week with a Pyjama Day today and that you had an amazing afternoon with your Clubs! Thank you so much for continuing to show such great energy and enthusiasm despite surely being exhausted.
Have a great weekend!
Caroline & Pascale
Great teaching strategies
Gina had her Kinders dancing up a storm to "J'aime les fruits" in Karen's class this week. What a great way to foster a positive attitude toward learning a second language!
Ron took several minutes of his prep time to connect with a student who was having a difficult time in the hall. Within minutes this little guy was smiling and able to return to class.
Jane used some of our Math resources to create awesome little laminated flip books of Math strategies that her students can use when working through problem-solving activities.
Brigitte played a French version of Four Corners using her students' vocabulary words. Eliminated students had the opportunity to earn marbles for the class marble jar by spelling out the word together. What a great adaptation of a classic game!
Sarah Empey taught her grade 3/4 students the French letters of the alphabet using a game called "J'ai..qui a". This is a great game to get students reading, speaking and listening all in one activity.
Serve it up
Kris joined right in with the Grade 8's as they played a whole-grade volleyball tournament. He coached his own students in French and Steve's students in English as they all played together in mixed groupings. Awesome.
Kristine helped her Grade 3 students to understand the regions of Ontario by first reading a text and then colouring and labelling a map. If you didn't grow up in the 1970's like I did, you might not understand my title reference. Check out "A Place to Stand" (Ontar-i-ar-i-ar-i-o)! Enjoy!
Tutoring Tuesdays & Thursdays
Cathy, Tanya, Victoria H, Andi and Kelly have been working with groups of students in the library every Tuesday and Thursday morning for the past several weeks. We are already seeing great progress from the extra attention they are getting!
Stack 'em up
Julie challenged her students to build the tallest possible structure they could out of upside-down cups. This little group was struggling until a friend came over and said: "If you make the bottom really big then you can make the tower really tall". Cooperative learning at its finest!
Tutoring Tuesdays & Thursdays
Hour of Code Week
Borrow some computers from a neighbouring class and see if you can get your whole class coding for a one-hour block sometime this week. As the mom of a young mechanical engineer, I'm pretty passionate about this stuff. Be sure to give me a call to your class if you are doing some coding next week. I'd love to come and learn alongside your kids!
The Week Ahead
Monday, December 3rd
- Advent begins: Change prayer tablecloths to purple and put out your Advent wreaths!
- Intermediate Volleyball Tournament @ SJCHS for the girls, @ ND for the boys
- Hour of Code Week!
- IPRC for MC @ 8:20am
- Advent celebration in the gym at 9:30am (Karen B's class)
- Gym closed all day today (wreaths and planters are being picked up in the gym)
- Laura Shilson in (OT)
- Natalie Holmes (EA)
- Shannon out (Anne Gallant)
- Kristine out (Kelly Pawlikowski)
- Victoria F out
- Susan Newsham in to volunteer
- Kids Help Phone presentation in the Library @ 2:00pm (Gr. 5 & 6)
- Wreath & planter fundraiser pickup 3:30-5:30pm
- IPRC for CK @ 3:30pm
- IPRC for DS @ 4:10pm
Tuesday, December 4th
- Hour of Code Week! https://hourofcode.com/ca
- Kerry Starr in (Speech)
- Andrea Ross in for screening
- Junior Volleyball Tournament @ HNOM for the girls, @ St. Francis for the boys
- Kaitlin Driscoll (floater)
- No indoor gym classes today due to volleyball tournament
- Library closed to classes today due to volleyball tournament
- IPRC for I P-M @ 3:30
Thursday, December 6th
- Hour of Code week! https://hourofcode.com/ca
- Christine Cox volunteering in the Library
- Jessica Norris in (OT)
- Claire Dulmage in for assessment
- Erin away (pm only)
- Karen B out (Jennifer Bowler)
- Pizza Day
- IPRC for RB at 8:20am
- IPRC for KB at 8:40 am