September 8, 2015
Laptop Pick Up
Message from PGHS Faculty, Staff, and Principal Team
If you have any questions or if we can support you in anyway, please don't hesitate to contact us.
With Pottsgrove Pride,
Faculty, Staff, and Principal Team of Pottsgrove High School
BELOW IS THE LETTER THAT ALL FACULTY/STAFF/PRINCIPAL TEAM SIGNED
School Start Delayed One Week - Message from Ms. Feola
Dear Community Stakeholders,
After an extensive review of all of the high school systems, we’ve determined that for the safety and well-being of our students and to permit our faculty ample time to get their classrooms ready, we have decided to delay the start of the High School by four (4) days. School will begin for High School students on Monday, September 14.
Please note that ALL other schools in the district will start, as scheduled, on Tuesday, September 8. Transportation for our high school students attending the Western Center and Montgomery County Community College (dual enrollment) students will be provided. The transportation department will be sending a separate communication to those families with the necessary details by the end of the week.
Students will not be required to make up at least three of the four days, per a school board action at their August 25th meeting. Pottsgrove High School significantly exceeds the annual number of required hours under Pennsylvania School Code. The Board of School Directors will discuss how the fourth day will be addressed at their upcoming meeting on September 8. The Board may elect to waive that day, as well, or they will amend the school calendar noting a makeup day for high school students.
On September 14 all ninth grade students, new students, Western Center, ROTC, and Community College students will report to the High School at the regular start time. All other high school students will report on a 2-hour delay schedule. This will allow our ninth grade and new students the opportunity for an orientation in the building prior to the arrival of the rest of the student-body and facilitate transportation to off-site locations. Transportation for both the regular and delay schedules will be provided.
For the 2015-2016 school year, the main entrance to the high school will be the athletic and music entrance, adjacent to the new gym. Parking is available in the south lot off of Kauffman Road nearest Buchert Rd. There is limited visitor parking near the District Office that is reserved for visitors to the District Office only. There is no access to the High School from the District Office parking lot this school year.
Please be assured that we will work with our faculty to be certain that all course content (including AP courses) is covered as in prior school years.
We do apologize for this delay. As we communicated last month, two unforeseen conditions, lead in the cafeteria ceiling and asbestos behind classroom chalkboards, delayed our progress over the summer months. Our top priority in addition to the education of our students is the well being of our students and staff. We make this decision with both of these priorities in mind.
We look forward to a great school year.
Shellie A. Feola
Superintendent of Schools
Important Updates Regarding Delayed Entrance to School
- Bussing for Western Center/MCCC - Bussing will be provided, next week, for students who attend the Western Center and for MCCC students that are scheduled to take the AM Pottsgrove Bus run to MCCC.
- ROTC Students - ROTC students will start when PGHS begins on September 14th.
- Sports - All sports will continue on their regularly scheduled practice/game times.
- Parent Athletic Meeting - The Mandatory Parent Meeting, scheduled for Wednesday, September 9, 2015, is moved to the MIDDLE SCHOOL.
- AP Courses - AP Teachers will be posting assignments, in Schoology, for all AP students. Students are expected to complete these assignments. For any questions, please contact your teacher if you have any questions.
Monday, September 14, 2015 - First School Day
9th grade, All News Students, AM Western Center Students, MCCC Students, & ROTC Students will report at regular time. All other students are to report on a 2 hour delay (10, 11, & 12th grade)
The 2 Hour Delay provides our Faculty/Staff with the opportunity to support the 9th graders and new students with a tour of the building, time to open their lockers, meet faculty/staff, and walk their schedule. We believe that our 9th graders and new students need this time to acclimate to our new school.
- Day of the Week - The first school day, September 14, 2015, will be Day A. We will return to the district schedule on Tuesday. Tuesday, September 15, 2015 will be Day F so we can align with the other schools in the district.
- 3 Things to Come to School With on First Day - All students need to come to school with their schedule printed or screen shot within 24 hours of start of school, remember their bus number, and a positive attitude.
This Mandatory Parent meeting for all HS/MS Athletes and their parents is on Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. in the Middle School Auditorium. It's been moved due to the HS closure
Important Updates for 2015-2016 School Year
Important Updates Regarding Renovations and Start of School
- Main Entrance: The School's Main Entrance will be the Gymnasium entrance from the south parking lot - the main lobby will be closed for construction
- Parking: The parking lot in front of the school and district office is closed to high school students, visitors, and parents. All high school students, visitors, and parents should be parking in the south parking lot and entering through the new gymnasium entrance. Student Parking will continue to be held in the South Parking Lot - Parking Permits will be given out once school begins
- Arrival/Dismissal: - The School Buses will continue to line up on School Lane for AM arrival and PM dismissal. Therefore, School Lane will be closed from 7:00-7:30 a.m. and 2:00 - 2:30 p.m. on school days.
- Parent Drop Off will be at the Cafeteria Entrance - Must enter from Charlotte Street
- Athletes will enter through the New Gymnasium/South Entrance or the entrance by the locker rooms.
- MCCC & Western Center Bussing for School Year: The buses for the Western Center and MCCC will pick students up at the Science Wing entrance (northwest corner of the building)
- MCCC Dual Enrollment Students - Bussing is being provided for students who are scheduled to take the AM bus run to MCCC.
- Lockers - Students will be assigned new lockers and combinations, except for those that had lockers last year in the SS/Science wing.
Some important updates about schedules:
- Schedules may change as we enter Keystone Remediation, study halls, etc.
- Empty spots in your schedule right now indicates that you will probably have a Study Hall during that time.
- Students will receive a paper schedule on the first day of school
- Questions about your schedule should be sent to your School Counselor
Welcome to Mr. Eric Daney, Assistant Principal
"I am very excited to become part of the PGHS family and bring my experiences from the Downingtown STEM Academy and the Downingtown Area School District to help benefit the students here in Pottsgrove. I look forward to meeting each of you and working alongside you in the coming years." - Mr. Daney
Grade Level Communication
Class of 2016: Click Here to Register
Class of 2017: Click Here to Register
Class of 2018: Click Here to Register
Class of 2019: Click Here to Register
Read Dr. Ziegler's blog on the PRIDE Period and how the PRIDE Period will replace Early Release Wednesdays
Dress Code for PGHS 2015-2016
An individual’s habits of dress and personal grooming are an important part of a person’s total personality. These habits often determine a student’s attitude towards himself/herself and can influence the way in which he or she is viewed by others. In addition, our society has set standards of personal grooming which have become accepted parts of the social environment within which individuals live and work. Thus, attire which is appropriate for leisure, for play, or for certain kinds of work may be completely unsuitable for business or services. Therefore, teaching an understanding of the importance of good grooming and helping students develop habits of proper dress and personal grooming is an accepted educational task of our high school. The following guidelines are intended to help achieve that goal:
1. The responsibility of student attire is placed upon the student and parent or legal guardian.
2. Students should wear clothing or hairstyles that are safe and appropriate for all school activities. Clothing and accessories which could cause injury to self or others are not permitted.
3. Clothing that is ripped, torn, cut off, or has holes is not permitted.
4. Dress styles that create, or are likely to create, a disruption with classroom and school order will be ruled unacceptable. This would include unsuitably short, tight, transparent, and immodest clothing. Examples would include clothing with exposed midriffs, mesh shirts without undershirt, halter tops, tank tops, spaghetti straps, narrow strap tops, tops off the shoulder, and cut-off clothing. Exposure of undergarments is not permitted. Sleeveless shirts may be worn if straps are three inches ore more in width.
5. Shorts, in good taste and of appropriate nature are permitted school attire. Shorts with pockets hanging below or longer than the shorts are not permitted. Students wearing shorts that are too short will need to change or face discipline consequences. On those school days when important events are held, such as senior awards programs, shorts will not be allowed. An announcement will be made in advance of the special occasion.
6. All hats, sweatbands, cloth hair-bands, bandanas, and other head coverings are not permitted to be worn within the building during the school day. They are to be kept in the lockers throughout the school day. (Verified religious and medical are the only exceptions)
7. All coats and other outerwear are to be kept in the locker throughout the school day. Proper footwear must be worn at all times.
8. Clothing or other items (such as jewelry, backpacks, etc.) with reference to alcohol, drugs, smoking, violence, sex, ethnic prejudice, death, demons, or offensive language will not be permitted.
9. Chains are not permitted. These are to be kept at home for the safety of all.
10. Items that have sharp or jagged edges are not permitted and should be kept at home. This includes but is not limited to jewelry, rings, bracelets, etc.
11. Building administration will address violations and request changes to attire as deemed necessary for the overall integrity of the educational environment.
12. In order to promote proper attire the following rules apply:
· 1st offense- call home and change to appropriate dress
· 2nd offense- call home, change to appropriate dress, detention
· 3rd offense- call home, change to appropriate dress, one day ISS
· 4th offense- call home, change to appropriate dress, one day OSS
· 5th offense- call home, change to appropriate dress, becomes insubordination and follow the discipline code.
Mark Your Calendars
9/8/2015 Tuesday First day of school for all District Schools Except HS
9/9/2015 - Wednesday - High School and Middle School Mandatory Athletic Parent Meeting at MIDDLE SCHOOL Auditorium 7:00 – 8:00 pm
9/16/2015 Wednesday - Parent Meeting for Girls Basketball at PGMS 7:00 – 7:30 pm
9/19/2015 Saturday - Pottsgrove Music Festival at Lower Pottsgrove Elementary School
9/21/2015 Monday - High School PTSA Meeting 7:30 pm
9/29/2015 Tuesday - High School Picture Day 7:30 am – 2:30 pm
9/30/2015 Wednesday - Act 80 2 Hour Early Release
10/1/2015 Thursday - HS Tri County College Fair for Juniors
HS Back to School Night - 7:00 – 9:00 pm
10/7/2015 Wednesday - Final Senior Portrait MakeUp Session 3:00 - 8:00 pm
HS Music League Meeting 7:00 pm
10/8/2015 Thursday - Final Senior Portrait MakeUp Session 3:00 – 8:00 pm
10/10/2015 Friday - Final Senior Portrait MakeUp Session 3:00 – 8:00 pm
10/11/2015 Saturday - Catalyst SAT Bootcamp at PGHS
10/12/2015 Sunday - Catalyst SAT Bootcamp at PGHS
10/14/2015 Wednesday - HS PSAT & Booster Club Meeting 7:00 pm
10/15/2015 Thursday - HS Renaissance Faire Rain Date
10/16/2015 Friday - Homecoming
10/19/2015 Tuesday - HS PTSA Meeting 7:30 pm
10/21/2015 Wednesday - Act 80 2 Hour Early Release
10/29/2015 Thursday - End of first marking period
11/4/2015 - Wednesday - Washington Wizards 7:00 p.m.