Year 2 Newsletter
11th April 2014
What have we done this week?
On Wednesday we enjoyed Dutch Day in celebration of King's Day - a colourful journey which deepened the children's knowledge of Dutch language and culture.
Have a lovely restful break and we look forward to seeing you all after the holidays.
- Our Living World theme
- Learning about animals and their habitats as well as life cycles
- Taking a closer look at how life has changed - exploring the people and animals in Europe around the Ice Age
- Learning through the film (and story) of Ice Age
- A visit to Vlaskamp to explore their grounds and take part in a bug hunt (Geography/Science/ICT)
- Whole School creative project around the theme of the World Cup
As the weather gets warmer, please ensure your child has a water bottle in school. Some children have been relying on cups from the water fountain downstairs, and while this is perfectly acceptable on occasion, we are unable to provide them every day.
The children have been preparing interview questions both in school and at home this week. This is linked to a homework challenge we have set.
The challenge is:
· To interview a family member. This can be completed with the family member present, via email, skype or facetime etc.
· The answers can be presented in any way the children wish, eg a poster, PowerPoint, a short film clip and so forth. If you need any resources to support this, then please let your class teacher know.
· This piece of work has to be completed by Wednesday 28th April (Not May as stated last week!), this gives the children the holidays in case they are visiting family or having visitors.
· Any queries should be directed to your class teacher.
Close observational drawings of tulips using pencil and watercolours.
We had a visit from a real detective this week - Thank you to Alice's Dad for giving up his time to share his expertise. The children had great fun having their fingerprints taken and solved some tricky clues to find the 'criminals'!
Nathan's mum told us all about Gabon, taught the children how to speak a few phrases and showed us some inspirational story-telling! We even got to try some fried plantain - yummy! Thank you!