4th Grade's Weekly White Tiger
MST IS THE PLACE TO BE!
Week of September 28th
It has been wonderful getting to know your child over the past few weeks! Here is a look at what’s coming up:
Grammar and Conventions
We will continue learning multiplication this week. Students will represent the product of 2 two-digit numbers using arrays, area models, and equations. We will practice the standard way to solve 2-digit by 2-digit multiplication problems using regrouping and using our ADS strategy to solve multi-step word problems. I have set up an account for all students on Xtramath. This is a website that allows them to practice their facts. Look for an information sheet that will be coming home explaining how to get them set up at home. By fourth grade, it is imperative that your child knows their multiplication and division facts fluently. We will have “Sprints”(timed drills) on a weekly basis. We strongly encourage your child to practice their math facts at home every night. Flash cards, dice, dominoes, cards, math apps, and websites are great ways your child can become more fluent with their math facts while having fun at the same time. Here are some great links for math fact practice:
Important Dates and Reminders
- Please follow the link to explore parent resources: http://www.risd.org/group/parents/parents_main.html
- September 29th- Class Group Pictures
- October 1st- 4th Grade Fundraising Night at Jason’s Deli 5:00- 9:00
- October 2nd- Assembly 9:30-10:15 (4th- 6th grade)
- October 5th- Environmental Center Field Trip
- October 6th- Fall Individual Picture Day
- October 6th- Report Cards
- October 12th- Fair Day (No School) Staff Development
- October 16th- 20th Anniversary Celebration & School Carnival 5:00-9:00
- October 22nd- College Day
- October 29th- Multicultural Night 6:00-7:30
- November 5th- Assembly 9:30-10:15 (4th- 6th grade)
- This year we get to resume our Smart Snack Express fundraiser for our 4th grade Austin trip. We will sell items on Friday afternoons at dismissal time. We are allowed to sell 6 times per year. We need your help by donating any type of snacks that are packaged individually (chips, brownies, granola bars, fruit snacks, sodas, etc.) We have had great success with sales in the past so every donation helps!
Food Cart Dates
- October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- November 6
- Please make sure you have turned in your child’s $40.00 field trip money. This money will be used as a deposit for our Austin field trip.
- Please make sure you have returned all forms to your child’s teacher.
- If you have any ideas or suggestions about fundraising please email your child’s teacher to share your ideas. Also, if you know of any businesses that might be willing to sponsor us then please send the information to your child’s teacher at: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Thank you!
Fall Tutoring Dates (Mondays until 4:40)
- September 28
- October 5, 19, 26
- November 2, 9, 16, 30
- December 7
Parent Ed Night
Tuesday, September 29th (6:00 — 7:30 PM)
Thank you to all who gave input on the Parent Ed survey. Join us for an informative night that is built around your needs! Childcare will be provided!
EngineerGirl Essay Contest
The National Academy of Engineering invites students (both boys and girls) in grades 3-12 to submit an essay about how they would protect the environment and the safety, health, and well-being of the public as a responsible engineer.
Cash prizes of $500, $250, and $100 are available for the best essays in each of 3 age categories.
We want to hear from you! Submit your essay by February 1, 2016 at 6:00 pm EST. (Note the deadline for 2016 has changed from previous years.)
Find out more at www.engineergirl.org/2016contest.aspx
Bright Bytes Survey Available for Parents
Here is the survey link:
Focus Parent Portal Accounts Now Available
Parents are now able to create accounts to see their child’s grade and attendance information through RISD’s new student information system called Focus. Parents will need to know their child’s identification information in order to sign up.
To learn more and create an account, click the following link: