August 27, 2021
Where Do I Go on the First Day of School?
8th Graders--Cafeteria (if arriving before 7:20); your Advisory class (if arriving after 7:20)
9th Graders--Main Gym (if arriving before 7:20); your Advisory class (if arriving after 7:20)
Reminder--Student Schedules--Available are Available on Portal
Student schedules are available on the Portal.
Reminder--Bus Assignment & Information
Reminder--School Supply Lists and Team Welcome Letters
Click here to view the 8th Grade School Supply List and Welcome Letter
Click here to view the 9th Grade School Supply List and Welcome Letter
Reminder: Students should purchase a lock for their Gym locker on MyPaymentsPlus. (see below)
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
First Regular Newsletter for 2021-2022--to be released Friday, August 27
First Day of School for Students--Monday, August 30
School Holidays--Friday, September 3, Monday, September 6 (Labor Day), and Tuesday, September 7 (Rosh Hashanah)
School Holiday--Thursday, September 16 (Yom Kippur)
Picture Day--Tuesday, September 21
7th Grade Back to School Night--Thursday, September 23 at 7:00 PM
8th & 9th Grade Back to School Night--Thursday, September 30 at 7:00 PM
- Tamanend is excited to partner again with ATI for Athletic Training. Please click HERE for a letter from Jimmy Fynes, our certified athletic trainer.
- Family ID is currently open for FALL SPORTS registration. All 7th and 8th Grade students interested in playing a Fall sport for Tamanend this year must be registered on the Family ID web site. The deadline for Fall Sports registration on Family ID is 8:00am on Friday, August 27th. If your child is not registered by that time, you will not receive important concussion information that will only be sent to those who are registered.
- All student-athletes must have completed PIAA physicals uploaded to Family ID prior to the start of the Fall sports season. Those must be uploaded to Family ID no later than noon on Wednesday, September 8th. The PIAA physical forms can be found HERE. Additional items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page.
- An interest meeting for cheerleading will take place from 2:45-3:30 on Monday, August 30th in the Tamanend cafeteria. Please reach out to Miss Kasper (email@example.com) with questions.
- Interest meetings for boys soccer, field hockey, and tennis will take place during Advisory (9:16-9:35) on Thursday, September 2nd. Locations will be listed on our scrolling TV announcements during the first few days of school. Details for the volleyball interest meeting will be announced as soon as they are finalized.
- Tryouts/Practices will begin for Fall Sports teams, with the exception of football, on Thursday, September 9th.
- Football players…
- Practices begin on Monday, August 30th which is the first day of school.
- All football players must have their physicals completed and uploaded to Family ID by noon on Monday, August 30th in order to be eligible to practice.
- All football players must complete the concussion requirements by noon on Monday, August 30th in order to be eligible to practice. That information will be sent on Friday, August 27th.
If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Klein.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- If you are interested in playing ice hockey for CB South, please see below for tryout information.
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Please Take a Moment to Make Sure Your Laptop is Ready for School
Tamanend's UNICEF Unite Club is Excited for a New School Year!
Tamanend's student-led UNICEF Unite Club is very excited for a new school year. Click here to watch a video about this club. "UNICEF works to ensure that children's basic needs are met, to protect their rights and address major threats to their health, safety and well being." Our club's goal is to raise awareness, fundraise, and help with issues in our community and in the world. Click here to watch a video about this club. Thank you to 9th Grader Avery Merz for producing this video. Click here to complete a Forms survey if you are interested in joining this club.
New CBSD Student Absence Reporting System
The Central Bucks School District will be changing the way in which absences are reported, beginning on the first day of school, August 30, 2021. The following items are some key points to be aware of.
- Parents and guardians will be able to submit absence requests via the Parent Portal. Parents can request a full day absence, early dismissal, or late arrival.
- Absence requests will be reviewed by school attendance staff and approved or denied.
- Requests made using the parent portal will also serve as the excuse for the absence. Parents will not be required to submit an excuse either electronic or written.
- Parents and guardians can also still call the school to report an absence, but emails will no longer be accepted.
In addition, when a student is absent from school, but the school did not receive communication from the parent or guardian, the following communication will be sent:
- A text message will be sent midmorning notifying the parent or guardian of the absence
- An email will also be sent at the end of the school day reminding the parent or guardian that the student was marked absent.
Information regarding how to use the Parent Portal to report an absence can be found here.
You may report your child's absence in any of the following ways:
- Through Parent Portal
- Phone (Attendance hotline): 267-893-2920
Reminder--Need a New Backpack?
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Patti Hartz, Secretary email@example.com
Andrea Consoletti firstname.lastname@example.org
EARN YOUR STRIPES--TAMANEND'S SCHOOL-WIDE POSITIVE BEHAVIORAL SUPPORT SYSTEM
Tamanend Middle School empowers students to grow academically, socially and emotionally. Students, staff, and families work collaboratively to model the acronym ROAR.
Respect yourself, others, and property.
Own your behaviors.
We believe that a caring, positive school culture and learning environment foster respectful, thoughtful, appropriate, and kind citizens.
In order to operationalize our mission, Tamanend utilizes a school-wide positive behavioral intervention and support plan (SWPBIS). This plan helps us establish a social culture in which students expect and support appropriate behavior from one another— creating school environments that are socially predictable, consistent, safe, and positive. This helps to reduce problem behaviors that lead to office discipline referrals and suspensions, and to change perceptions of school safety.
Click here to read more about our plan.
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--Regular School Hours
7:10--7:20: Arrival to School (7th Graders report to Auditorium; 8th Graders report to Cafeteria; 9th Graders report to Main Gym)
7:20--7:27: Classrooms open to students
7:27: Reminder bell
7:30: Students should be in their 1st Period classes
Reminder--Parent Drop-Off/Pick-Up & Parking Lot Safety
If parents/guardians decide to drive students to school, please plan enough travel time to allow for safety and congestion on Stuckert Road and in our school parking lot. The speed limit in our lot is 15 mph.
The following is a map of how the student drop-off works in our parking lot. Drop off should only happen along the sidewalk at the Athletics Entrance as indicated by the red dot on the map. For your safety and the safety of our students, please follow these directions and do not drop your student off on Stuckert Road, the Visitor's Parking area, or in the middle of the Main Parking Area. Thank you for your support and careful driving.
Reminder--Middle School Physical Education Attire
Students are not required to purchase a CBSD issued physical education uniform; however, students will be required to change into athletic attire and sneakers to participate safely and practice good hygiene. Student attire must adhere to the dress code guidelines presented in the student handbook. CB locks will still be required to purchase to ensure personal items are secured in a locker. Locks are available for purchase on MyPaymentsPlus.
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
FROM OUR LIBRARY
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Reminder--2021-2022 Student Laptops
We hope that you had a relaxing summer. Our Technology & Innovation team is gearing up for the 2021-22 school year which includes handing out student laptops.
Over the past four years, Central Bucks has offered a 1-to-1 laptop program for our secondary students. The success of this effort combined with the necessities brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic, have informed our decision to provide all students in Central Bucks the same opportunity. Our Initiative will provide mobile, wireless technology to all of our students, while enhancing our instructional delivery whether students are at home or in school.
The Technology and Innovation department is excited to kick off our student device distribution for the 2021-2022 school year today. All Central Bucks’ students will either receive a device this year or continue to use the device that was issued last year. Below is a chart that lists the device that will be issued by grade level as well as the cost of the usage fee.
Even if your child has his/her own device, we are asking that you participate in our program to allow for a consistent learning platform for our students. All students in a grade level will receive a device equipped with: internet filtering, software, tech support for break/fix, and access to instructional tools and resources used by our teachers. You can learn more on our FAQ page: https://www.cbsd.org/Page/38121
First Steps for Families:
The first step prior to distribution is to enroll online and pay a usage fee. The usage fee covers the at-home and in-school use of a device, a charger, and insurance for accidental breaks. We have different pricing structures for elementary students as they will pay $10 a year for a 7-year school career (K-6). Secondary families will pay $75 in 7th grade and $75 in 10th grade. Each payment will be good for three years. We have prorated payments for all secondary students that are new to Central Bucks.
Who has to pay the fee?
All students in grades K-6, 7, 10, 12+, and new families must complete the steps below prior to receiving a device. Students in grades 8, 9, 11, and 12 who already have a district device do not require any action at this time.
What steps does a family need to take prior to device handout?
- Visit: https://www.cbsd.org/1to1
- Parent/Guardian and Student will click on and read the 1:1 Handbook.
- Parent/Guardian signs the user agreement and pays* the user fee via MyPaymentsPlus (MPP). Upon submitting the fee and MPP agreement you are confirming that you have reviewed the information with your child.
The Fee Table:
*Please note that the fee is reduced for families who are economically disadvantaged. You will see the balance as $0 when entering MPP. All families still need to complete steps 1-3 even if the balance is $0.
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
Required 7th Grade Dental Exams
A reminder that Pennsylvania requires students entering 7th Grade to provide proof of the following:
All incoming 7th Grade students must receive the TDAP vaccine and the Meningococcal vaccine by September 8, 2021 or risk exclusion by the Pennsylvania Department of Health. Please email email@example.com your student’s up-to-date immunization record once these vaccines have been administered.
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Free Breakfast and Lunch for All Tamanend Students for 2021-2022 School Year
In April 2021, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service extended the program that will provide for free meals for all students, regardless of income, for the 2021-22 school year. This has been made possible by nationwide waivers that provide for free meals for all students through June 2022.
All menus are available to be viewed online up to 2 weeks in advance by visiting cbsd.nutrislice.com.
Students are entitled to one complete reimbursable breakfast per day and one complete reimbursable lunch per day. Any second entrée or a la carte snack item will be charged to the students’ lunch account. We encourage all families to put money on their students account through MySchoolBucks.com as there will be no cash transactions this year to serve the students as safely and swiftly as possible.
We are thrilled to continue to safely serve students delicious, fresh, and nutritious meals at no charge, and we are equally excited to re-introduce our favorite programs to deliver fun, exciting, and tasty experiences to students throughout the coming year.
Please note: If your child has participated in the free and reduced meal program in the past, we encourage you to apply again as participation allows for eligibility in other programs. You can find the application here: Food Services / Free & Reduced Lunch Application (cbsd.org)
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Bucks For Kids Charity 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900
STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Good Morning Tamanend daily announcements (emailed to parents and students each morning, scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
TMS Parent Council
Wednesday, Sep. 15th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. Please note that this first meeting will take place on a Wednesday. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Are You Interested in Volunteering at Tamanend? Look for our Volunteer Survey in September.
Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.