Thinking of Using Canvas?
We are having another Canvas Klatch on Wednesday, December 16 at 4:20-ish until we are done. If you would prefer some more/different instruction, let me know and we can work on it together. If you want some of the basics, check this out for more information.
Computer Science Week!
This week is Computer Science Education Week and is held in recognition of the birthday of computing pioneer Admiral Grace Murray Hopper (December 9, 1906). As part of this week, all students, parents, and teachers are encouraged to participate in the hour of code. Below are a few resources that you can use to learn more and get started.
- Computer Science Education Week
- TCEA Blog Post - Get Your Students Coding
- Nepris is doing daily free live virtual sessions with industry pioneers and computer scientists - Learn more here
Students aged 4 to 104 can participate! Be sure to tag all social media posts with #HourofCode. The organizers are watching and you could win prizes for your school and classroom! Thanks Dwight Goodwin for gathering some great info to share!
Share Directly to Your Google Drive
Sharing files inside Google Drive is great, but what happens if the person does not create it inside their Gmail/GAFE account? What about parents who don't use either?
There is a script that automatically provides you with a URL that allows any user to upload a file to a designated folder in your Google Drive. Anyone can send the file to your Google Drive without signing in to a Google account! No scripting ability required!
EdTech Appreciation Day
Last May, the Texas Legislature proclaimed that December 9 would be "Ed Tech Appreciation Day". An email to past and present people who have affected your use of technology would be a wonderful surprise (even if they don't fall in the traditional educational technology categories). I have included emails below of those who no longer work at GHS/DISD. Read the TCEA blog post here!
- Debbie Leonardi - email@example.com
- Phyllis Tucker - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aaron Graves - email@example.com
- Mary Davis - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lori Ellis (current HST, assigned to GHS part time) - email@example.com
- Elisha Ellsworth (works on the South Tech Team) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Todd Touchette (works on the South Tech Team) - email@example.com
Feel free to comment at the bottom if you know more emails of those who have worked with GHS staff and students in the past that are no longer at the school!