East High Street Family Flyer
Week of September 6-10, 2021
From the Principal's Desk...
Good Afternoon, East High Families!
Here are a few reminders about the upcoming changes regarding the Department Of Health face covering order effective on Tuesday, 9/7/21 as well as detailed information about our upcoming Back to School Night on Thursday, 9/9/21.
Please reach out with any questions you may have!
Kari Bittinger, East High Street Principal
PA Department of Health Face Covering Order
On Tuesday, August 31, 2021, the Pennsylvania Department of Health required a face mask Order for all school districts in the Commonwealth (both public and private) effective Tuesday, September 7, 2021. This Order REQUIRES ALL students, staff, and school visitors to wear a solid, protective face covering that covers their nose and mouth inside our schools at all times unless an official exception has been sought and approved.
There will be times during the school day where students will be able to remove their masks, including scheduled mask breaks, lunchtime and outdoor recess. The Order does not apply to students participating in athletics inside or outside or physical education classes indoors. Please help us with this masking effort by explaining the face covering expectation to your child. As this is a change from what our students have become accustomed to these past two weeks, if you need a face covering for your child, the school district will provide one through your child’s school. As a reminder, staff and students must continue to wear a face covering on all school buses/vans in alignment with a federal mandate that is still in place.
This Order was issued pursuant to authority granted to the Pennsylvania Department of Health under the Disease Prevention and Control Law, 35 P.S. Section 521.5. The Order requires that schools enforce the masking requirement as the Pennsylvania Department of Health has the broad legal authority to issue this Order. Violations of the Disease Prevention and Control Law are subject to potential penalty through a criminal summary offense, with the potential of fines and/or jail time (35 P.S. Section 521.20). Again, this is something that the Order requires, and each of our staff members could be held personally liable if he/she does not enforce the Order. Moreover, our board-approved Health and Safety plan already addressed that we will follow local, state, and federal mandates. We will continue to monitor this Order and make any necessary adjustments if and when it expires.
We recognize this Order is unwanted by some families; however, the reality is that there has been one issued, and it must be implemented whether we like it or not. We have consulted our legal council and they are in agreement with this position. Additionally, we have heard from a few parents with intentions not to comply and demand that their children be admitted to school without a mask to “take a stand” or “make a statement” about how parents/guardians oppose the Order. As a District, we respectfully ask that these types of actions be avoided as they will only serve to escalate the issue and potentially damage relationships between students and staff.
We also understand that due to this new Order, some families may want to choose a different educational model for their child. Therefore, the District will reopen a short window for families to opt into a different educational model, including moving from in-person instruction to Etown Cyber (Independent only) or moving from Etown Cyber (Real Time only) to in-person instruction. Families may not enroll their children in Etown Cyber Real Time during this window. The window to request this change will close on Friday, September 10. Please contact your child’s building principal if you are interested in more information about this option.
This INDOOR measure should assist us in maintaining in-person instruction at all levels by minimizing the number of our own students in quarantine. When all students, staff, and visitors are wearing a mask, the contact tracing distance changes from 6 feet to 3 feet. This will undoubtedly reduce the number of quarantined individuals. It should also preserve opportunities for students to participate in the extracurricular activities they enjoy. We hope you will do your part in keeping our schools open and our students learning.
In closing, despite the ever-changing landscape, our District remains committed to providing the very best education to your child, whether this be in person or online. We appreciate your patience, understanding, and grace during these challenging times.
Questions may be directed to Mr Troy Portser, Director of School and Community information, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to School Night for Grades 1 and 2 - Thursday, September 9th from 6:30-7:30
ADDED NOTE: On Tuesday, August 31, 2021, the Pennsylvania Department of Health required a face mask Order for all school districts in the Commonwealth (both public and private) effective Tuesday, September 7, 2021. This Order REQUIRES ALL students, staff, and school visitors to wear a solid, protective face covering that covers their nose and mouth inside our schools at all times. This includes our Back to School Night. If you prefer not to wear a face covering when in the building we ask that you attend our virtual time frame from 7:10-7:30 PM.
Schedule for Tuesday, September 9th for grades 1 and 2
- 6:30-7:00 PM - Families who wish to attend Back to School night in person must attend during this time frame. All visitors will be required to wear a face covering while in the building. Families will report directly to their child's homeroom class. This session will end promptly at 7:00 in order for teachers to prepare for their Zoom sessions at 7:10.
- 7:00 - Session ends for the in-person families
- 7:10-7:30 - Zoom ONLY option for families who are not able to attend back to school night in person or are not comfortable wearing a face covering in the building. Teachers will be e-mailing a Zoom link for their individual sessions. There will be no in-person sessions offered during this time frame. Teachers will share their Zoom links with families via Seesaw by 10:00 AM on Thursday, 9/9.
- Kindergarten teachers will NOT be available on September 9th. The kindergarten back to school night was held earlier in August.
- If you have children in grades 1 AND 2 please reach out to your child's individual teacher. Teachers will be recording individual Zoom sessions and/or will be sending out a video of their presentation to families.
- Questions about your child's classroom procedures should be directed to your child's teacher.
- Please remember Back to School night is about the general classroom and procedures. Any questions/concerns about your individual child should be shared at a different time.
Please note: We understand masks are creating adverse conversations. We respect families' positions and personal choice in this matter. Please allow these upcoming conversations with the Teachers to be about your child's education as we follow the board approved health and safety plan.
Do you have questions about Leader in Me? Please visit the site below for more information about the program!
East High Street Procedures for the 2021-2022 school year!
Please contact the office if you have any questions.
Changes in transportation or schedule
Please note: If you have a transportation change after 9:00 AM, please only call the main office and DO NOT email the teacher or the attendance email. We cannot guarantee the email will be received throughout the day.
We send children home the way they are assigned so any changes in transportation need to be communicated in a timely manner.
Reporting your Child Absent
- Call the East High office (717-361-0099) and press option 7. Please state your name, your child’s name, teacher’s name and reason for absence.
- Email the attendance email and provide your name, your child’s name, teacher’s name and reason for absence.
- East High Families: EH_Attendance@etownschools.org
Educational Trips for the 2021-2022 School Year
Information about the Form:
- The completed form must be received in the building principal's office at least five (5) days in advance of the tour or trip.
- Check the status of your request on EASD's online Community Portal on the attendance link. You are able to check future absences.
- Forms that are received with less than 5 days notice may be coded as illegal absences
This link can also be found on the East High page on the District website.
Parent/Guardian Technology Center
EASD students use electronic devices to access online resources for classroom instruction. Students in grades K-2 use iPads and Chromebooks while students in grades 3-12 use Chromebooks. Upon registering in the district, student technology accounts are created automatically so they are able to log in to district devices and access online instructional resources. Please read the information in the Technology Center to learn more about the student devices, technology accounts and troubleshooting measures.
Parents are encouraged to create their own technology accounts in our school systems to access their student's demographic information, digital report cards, and daily classroom instruction and grades.
For more specific information, such as where to find your student's Schoology Parent Access code please email email@example.com.