UCP Healthy West Orange
Winter 2022 Newsletter
Performance on Display by Sixth Grade Theatre Students
On December 15, 2022, the sixth grade theatre elective students took part in performing Shakespeare’s “Julius Caesar Abridged: A Middle School Drama.” Written by Kat Riley, UCP West Orange's Arts Integration teacher, the show was the culmination of a semester’s worth of theatre study. Each student received training in acting, directing, script analysis, and design in anticipation of the December performance. The last 6 weeks of the year were spent rehearsing this show.
The story was inspired by the historical assassination of Julius Caesar. Instead of Ancient Rome, the play's setting was in a middle school cafeteria. The characters found themselves arguing over student council election results. The play dealt with themes of adolescent bullying, peer pressure, and betrayal. The dialogue was a combination of Shakespearean language and modern slang. The cast included: Jean Stanfield, Brandon Henry, John Lyons, Jonah Ballard, Damarcus Martinez, Connor Dickinson, Eliza Keevan, Kimberly Benitez, Raul Mireles, Dylan Ricks, and Madison Aide. Encore, WO theatre students!
Helping Your Children Through Testing
UCP West Orange is participating in the Florida Assessment of Student Thinking (F.A.S.T) and Benchmarks for Excellence in Student Thinking (B.E.S.T). All students VPK-6th Grade are taking their mid-year assessment starting December 2022 and continuing through January 2023. FAST K–2 assessments are Renaissance’s Star Early Literacy, Star Reading, and Star Mathematics.
The FAST VPK assessment will be aligned to the Florida Early Learning and Developmental Standards. Kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade assessments will be aligned to the Benchmarks for Excellent Student Thinking (B.E.S.T.) Standards. The assessment for 3rd-6th grades is on the Cambium platform, a compilation of state standards for each grade level. Tests will be computer-adaptive and administered through a secure web browser; headphones are required for grades K-2.
UCP West Orange recognizes that testing can be intimidating for some students, but the school tries to provide testing in a fun, relaxing atmosphere. Here are some tips you can do at home to help put your child at ease:
1. Talk to your child about test taking. You can use this opportunity to ask your students how they feel about testing, and offer them your reassurance or perspective if they have are experiencing anxiety.
2. Offer positive reinforcement. Stay positive about the test and encourage your children to do their best and take their time.
3. Support healthy habits. Make sure your children get enough sleep and have a good breakfast.
4. Debrief after the test. After the testing day has come and gone, talk with your child about his/her results and how he/she felt about the test. By discussing his/her answers, thought processes, and feelings, you can gain further insight into what he/she is struggling with and help him/her better prepare for the next testing session. Talking about testing can also help your child process the experience and overcome any anxiety that he/she might have had.
For further information about testing, please contact Desi Savage, Assistant Principal, at Deseretta.email@example.com.
Morning MIle Returns to UCP West Orange
UCP West Orange Rolls Out School Rules
In November 2022, UCP West Orange staff introduced a set of school rules to students across all grade levels. These school rules are:
- Be Respectful
- Be Safe
- Be Responsible
- Be Kind
Teachers have been reviewing the school rules and discussing examples and non-examples of school rules with students daily. Additionally, students continue to be instructed in social skills lessons using the Cloud9World character strengths. During the month of December, students were taught about GENEROSITY and were awarded Sand Dollars for demonstrating generosity or character strengths previously discussed earlier in the school year. West Orange students enjoy the lessons and are demonstrating positive social skills every day!
Book Buds: Sparking a Love of Literacy
November & December Students of the Week
UCP West Orange students make a big difference in the school community! Here are just a few of our November and December Students of the Week who were recognized for displaying our November character strength - GRATITUDE - or our December character strength - GENEROSITY!
Storybook Character Day
At the end of October 2022, students and staff dressed as storybook characters; some classes even had students create presentations on the book character they portrayed. Students were later able to trick or treat throughout the school. Literature is alive and thriving at UCP West Orange!
Fall Festival Celebration
On October 26, 2022, Summit Church members, UCP staff and parents hosted 'trunk or treat' games and activities for our UCP families. This year, the UCP Parent Teacher Organization held a very well received chili cookoff during the event; congratulations to Jenny Badger, Physical Therapist, for winning first prize for her chili! It was great to see so many UCP families attend this festive event.
PreK Friendsgiving Celebration
On Thursday, November 17th the Pre-K classrooms held a fun-filled Friendsgiving Celebration. Parents were invited to come participate in enjoyable fall-themed activities with their children's classrooms!
Jim Sawgrass Presents Native American Traditions
In honor of Native American November and in order to teach UCP West Orange students about Native American traditions, the school invited all classrooms (Toddler through 6th grade) to a presentation by Jim Sawgrass and his son Cody. Students saw Native American toys and household items and learned how they were made. Jim Sawgrass displayed real Native American bows and arrows and even shot a student's homework out of a Native American musket! Students really enjoyed traditional dancing by Cody Sawgrass, whose hoop dancing has earned him national recognition. Jim Sawgrass capped off the presentation with face painting.
Students Do Their Holiday Shopping
On the week of December 5, students had the opportunity to visit the Holiday Shop. Put together by the UCP West Orange PTO with the help of Fun Service of Florida and run by parent volunteers, the Holiday Shop allowed students to practice their math and social skills while purchasing family gifts in a safe environment curated especially for them!
Winter Holidays Arrive at WO
From December 12-16, students and staff celebrated the winter holiday season as never before! PreK classrooms took part in a PreK Holiday Celebration in the cafeteria, with students rotating through six different arts and crafts stations under the guidance of our sixth grade students. Students enthusiasticaly welcomed Pyjama Day, Holiday Socks and Santa Hats, Holiday Festive Outfit, Dress Like a Present, and Ugly Christmas Sweater with corresponding attire. Staff celebrated with a Staff Holiday Lunch, Dessert Contest and Ugly Sweater competition. Finally, on December 16, Santa came to UCP West Orange bringing books to every student thanks to the UCP West Orange PTO.
UCP Charter School - Student Intent to Return - School Year 2023-2024
UCP Downtown/BETA (PreK-5th Grade) UCP Osceola (PreK-5th Grade) UCP Pine Hills (PreK-5th Grade) UCP Seminole (PreK -2nd Grade) UCP TLA (Middle/High School - ESE Only) UCP West Orange (PreK-6th Grade) Does not currently attend UCP Charter Schools - is a sibling of a current student Does not currently attend UCP Charter Schools - is a child of a Team member or Board member
Volunteer at UCP West Orange
Car Show Benefiting UCP West Orange PTO
📚The Book Fair is Coming!📚
February 6-10, 2023
Would you like to be part of our UCP West Orange PTO Fundraising Committee?
Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join our Fundraising Committee headed by our newly elected Chair, Cindy Sonne.
Teacher & Staff Wish Lists
SPLASH School Store Wish List
Chloe Stewart's Low Ratio Pre-K Classroom Wish List
Jordan Gillespie's Pre-K A Classroom Wish List
Coletta Ballash's Pre-K B Classroom Wish List
Stephanie De Bear's Kindergarten A Classroom Wish List
Amanda Whitaker's Kindergarten B Classroom Wish List
Janesy Reyes Crooks' 1st Grade Classroom Wish List
Sandra Swearingen's 1st/2nd Grade Classroom Wish List
Lauren Williams' Low Ratio K-2nd Grade Classroom Wish List
Jesicah Malonzo's 2nd Grade Classroom Wish List
Nathan Ballash's 3rd Grade Classroom Wish List
Gina Climaco's 3rd-4th Grade Classroom Wish List
Celeste Clifford's 3rd-4th Grade Access Classroom Wish List
Amanda Miller’s 5th Grade Classroom Wish List
Kat Riley's Art Integration Wish List
Jennifer Schampier 21st Century Site Coordinator Wish List
Debbie Seuffer-Wright’s Clinic Wish List
Therapy Clinic Wish List
Adriana's Kitchen Wish List
Upcoming School Events
Jan. 2-3: No School
Jan. 4: First Day of School/Early Release Day
Jan. 16: MLK Day - School Closed
Jan. 18: NO EARLY RELEASE/PTO General Meeting @ 6pm
Jan. 21: Cars & Coffee Car Show
Jan. 25: 100th Day of School
Feb. 1: Intent to Return Deadline
Feb. 3: Kona Ice PTO Fundraiser
Feb. 6-10: Spirit Week / PTO Book Fair
Feb. 16: Open House - New & Prospective Families
Feb. 20: Noon Release due to Hurricane Nicole
Feb. 23: Book Buds
Mar. 10: Noon Release due to Hurricane Nicole
UCP Healthy West Orange
We know family life is a juggle! Cooking healthy meals, getting active, and just taking a moment to relax can seem impossible. Hi, we’re Healthy West Orange, and we’re here to help! We’re a grassroots movement to inspire west Orange County to become the healthiest community in the nation. We provide tools and social connections to help local residents eat well, stay active, and enjoy life:
• Local events: Westly’s Virtual 5K, Westly’s Dance Challenge, Healthy Selfie 5K Your Way, & more!
• HUBB by Healthy West Orange: Looking for food assistance, mental health services, or housing programs? HUBB can help: https://healthywestorange.org/hubb/
• The Healthy West Orange Carrot App features fitness challenges, wellbeing reminders, and discounts on health and wellness products and services in West Orange!
So, is your family ready to Join the Movement? Check out HealthyWestOrange.org, follow along on socialmedia@healthywestorange, and meet the team at our next community event!
UCP West Orange Campus Contacts
1441 Winter Garden Vineland Rd.
Winter Garden, FL 34787
Phone Contact: 407-852-3300
Direct Phone Contact: 407-904-0135
- Thomas Brickel, Principal | Ext. 5111 (email@example.com)
- Desi Savage, Assistant Principal | Ext. 5112 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ESE DOCUMENTATION/PARENT LIASON
- Katie Folsom, ESE/FSCM Clerk | Ext. 5115 (email@example.com)
- Kristy Lopez, Behavior Specialist | Ext. 5118 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Paige Mathews, Behavior Coach | Ext. 5118 (email@example.com)
- Jennifer Schampier-Jones, Behavior Coach | Ext. 5118 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sherry Garas, School Business Manager | Ext. 5113 (email@example.com)
- Samantha Lyons, Family Services Social Worker | Ext. 5114 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Adriana Agosto, Kitchen Manager | Ext. 5128 (email@example.com)
- Jamie Beaver, Staffing Specialist | Ext. 5115 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Debbie Seuffer-Wright, School Health Assistant | Ext. 5106 (email@example.com)
- Marilyn Perez, Therapy Practice Office Manager | Ext. 5116 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
21st CENTURY PROGRAM
- Jennifer Schampier-Jones, Program Director | Ext. 5118 (email@example.com)
PARENT TEACHER ORGANIZATION
- Katie Folsom, President | (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jennifer Hibbard, Vice President
- Catt Pudney, Secretary
- Danielle Hill, Treasurer
- Cindy Sonne, Fundraising Chair