MCCHS FRIDAY FOCUS
42nd Edition: September 8, 2017
Pilgrims on the Way of Truth
We hope that all of our students are doing well in their classes, making new friends, and cherishing this important time in their lives. We are thankful that our weather has been relatively kind to our un-air conditioned classrooms! In the "Week At-A-Glance" below, you will see that the schedule is longer, as we now have set schedules for many of our clubs and organizations. In about two more weeks, we will stop posting every club meeting here in this newsletter and will have it all linked on our Clubs/Organizations page - but that takes a little more leg-work to update completely, so we appreciate your patience! In the meantime, you'll quickly see that we have something for every student to enjoy and explore! We have also linked you to the appropriate webpages to read a little more about each club, including adviser contact information should you have any specific questions!
Our first Parent Association meeting was a HUGE success! We had over TWENTY parents come out to join this very energetic and dedicated group! We also had a great turn-out for our free FAFSA informational meeting! Let's make sure our Fine Arts Boosters meeting is just as successful - so please consider coming out on Sept. 14th at 7pm. Remember - it's for ALL of the Fine Arts offered here at Marian: art, band, choir, orchestra, theatre, variety show...you name it!
Finally, we've hit that time of the school year where discipline issues start to pop up. Students start arriving late to school, uniform infractions start to creep up (shaving, haircuts, etc.) and unfortunately, other more serious issues force their way into our beloved school. One in particular has been especially heart-breaking to deal with - but it's a topic that we believe ALL parents and teachers can unify and mobilize to end: vaping. Please take the time to read the information we are providing below, just after the "At-A-Glance" and have this discussion with your students.
Week At-A-Glance: September 2 - 8, 2017
DAILY Mass is celebrated in the chapel at 2:40 pm - ALL ARE WELCOME!
Eucharistic Adoration or Confessions available during all lunch periods this week!
Sept. 9, 2017 (Sat.)
- 8:00 am - 5:00 pm: Freshman Volleyball Invite (both gyms)
Sept. 11, 2017 (Mon)
- 7:30 am: CIA meeting (Catholics in Action) in room 229
- 3rd Period: Loras College Rep in Guidance
- 2:30 pm: Math Club meeting in room 207
- 2:40 pm: Club Med meeting in Room 123
- 4:30 pm: Girls V Tennis vs Belvidere North
- 5:30 pm: Key Club to visit Holy Apostles
Sept. 12, 2017 (Tues) - Mid-Term Grades Posted
- 7:30 am: Spanish Honor Society meeting in room 228
- 7:30 am: WYSE meeting in room 126
- Extended Mentor Homeroom (mentors meet with Freshmen/Sophomores)
- 3rd Period: Arizona State college rep in Guidance
- 8th Period: UW-Stout rep in Guidance
- 9th Period: University of Dubuque rep in Guidance
- 2:30 pm: Ping Pong in Auditorium Commons
- 2:40 pm: Business Club meeting in Room 219
- 2:40 pm: Gavel Club meeting in Room 218
- 2:40 pm: Chess Club meeting in Room 129
- 2:40 pm: Scholastic Bowl meeting in Room 219
- 2:45 pm: SMART/FIT Club meeting in room 147
- 3:30 pm: Boys JV/V Golf vs Carmel at Crystal Woods
- 4:30 pm: Girls JV Tennis vs Nazareth Academy
Sept. 13, 2017 (Wed):
- 1:45pm: Tornado Drill
- 2:50 pm: Key Club to visit Valley Hi Nursing Home
- 2:40 pm: Art Club meeting in room 110
- 3:30 pm: Girls JV/V Golf vs Joliet Catholic Academy at Boone Creek
- 4:30 pm: Boys JV/V Gold vs Richmond Burton at Crystal Woods
Sept. 14, 2017 (Thurs):
- 8:55 am: ALL SCHOOL MASS - All are Welcome!
- 2:30 pm: Writers' Society meeting in room 130
- 2:40 pm: Scholastic Bowl meeting in Room 219
- 2:40 pm: MUN (Model United Nations) meeting in room 219
- 2:40 pm: Friends of Rachel meeting in room 134
- 4:30 pm: Girls JV/V Golf vs Lakes - Makeup from August 28th at Boone Creek
- 7:00 pm - Fine Arts Boosters meeting in Auditorium
Sept. 15, 2017 (Fri): SPIRIT DRESS DOWN DAY!
- 7:30 am: National Honor Society meeting in Auditorium
- 3rd Period: 2016-2017 YEARBOOK DISTRIBUTION!
- 4:30 pm: Girls JV Tennis vs Lakes
- 5:00 pm: Boys F Football vs Marist
- 7:30 pm: Boys V Football vs Marist
Check out our detailed Athletic Calendar for all practice times and "Away" games for this week!
Important VAPING/e-CIGARETTE Information for ALL our Dear Families....
That said, we felt it was very important that we share information about the rash of "vaping" incidents that have unfortunately occurred in our dear school. Sadly, we are not alone in this effort, as every high school - and even middle/elementary schools - are combating the same issue.
Please see the photo below this post. It is a picture of an actual "vape" device (black device in photo) This seems to be the choice brand at the moment. As you'll notice, it is the same size as the regular highlighter pictured with it. It can also fit into a closed palm, and be slipped into a pocket quickly.
Students have been using vape devices in bathrooms, locker-rooms, and even have been potentially using them in class by "coughing" into a closed fist and inhaling to a point that there is little to no vape-smoke in the exhale.
WHAT CAN YOU DO:
- KNOW what these devices LOOK like! PLEASE check your student's backpacks and cars! We would much rather have YOU confiscate these devices and have those crucial conversations than take a risk to have US do it and have to enforce our consequences.
- KNOW what the vape smoke SMELLS like! Be aware of any fruity or sweet smells - the vape industry is targeting younger audiences with fruity, cookie, or candy scented nicotine-liquid.
- EDUCATE your student on the dangers of "vaping." Most students believe that they are only inhaling water-vapor - but this also delivers highly addictive and potent levels of nicotine that is immediately absorbed into the bloodstream. And since our students are not fully matured adults, the concentration levels and absorption rates are much higher.
- Please see the linked Vaping Fact Sheet issued by the Surgeon General in 2016. We're sure the statistics have changed (increased, sadly) but it is a very good source of information.
These are very difficult and heart-breaking conversations we have had to have with several students and families already. Please make sure your student fully UNDERSTANDS the set school consequences here at Marian for even the FIRST OFFENSE:
- 1 day out of school suspension (with failing grades for any assessments -formative/summative- missed that day)
- 1 Saturday Detention
- 1 calendar month co-curricular ban, including participation in club activities, school-sponsored events, etc.
- Athletic consequences, if the student is also an athlete (game suspensions, etc.)
- Finally - if they are seniors, they automatically are disqualified for the senior semester 2 exam exemption.
The big question: are there vape-detectors on the market? The short answer is: there are a few out there, which we are looking into. However, we are also trying to thoughtfully allocate our budgets towards more life-saving investments for our school. Which is why we are asking for an increased awareness and diligence from all personnel and families. Most kids are sick of it, but the allure is strong for teenagers - no matter how "good" the kid is.
Please know that we are doing our best to send a strong message. Our teachers and staff are checking bathrooms, locker-rooms, and have a heightened awareness in their classrooms. We have also strictly limited out-of-class passes and are tracking those carefully as well.
Please join us in making this school as safe as possible. We may not catch every student every time, but we have to try every day. BUT WE CAN'T DO THIS ALONE! We really need ALL of our families to do those bag-checks and car-checks and even pocket-checks! We do this because we love our kids!
Family Directory Now Available Online!
Marian Central’s Family Directory is now online! Each family now has the ability to view the demographic information of other Marian families directly through the Portal. At this time, each family’s, name, address and main telephone number will be visible to other families through the online directory unless you UNCHECKED those options by Sept. 8, 2017. You can view the Directory by clicking “Directory” on the left side above your student’s photo. There you will find an alphabetical listing of those families who have chosen to share their information.
We are very excited to try this new means of sharing the Family Directory. We hope you find this information useful when arranging carpools or perhaps borrowing a book.
Please remember that this Directory is not intended to be used for solicitation of any kind.
Student to Student Campaign: HURRICANE HARVEY RELIEF DRIVE
Our hearts and prayers are with all those affected by Hurricane Harvey! As a school community, we especially wanted to reach out to aid the Catholic schools who will also need assistance to repair, rebuild, and continue to serve their students and families through this difficult time.
We are pleased to announce that we will be conducting a SCHOOL-WIDE RELIEF DRIVE through all Theology classes September 11-15th!
The National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA) is launching a campaign asking every Catholic school family around the country to contribute at least $1 per student to help Catholic schools impacted by the storm to rebuild, reopen and re-enroll students. "Student to Student: A Catholic School Response to Hurricane Harvey" is a powerful opportunity to engage students in living the Gospel message of compassionate service and generosity to others.
Through this initiative, NCEA is asking for contributions from students and families enrolled in all Catholic schools to assist their peers. But we can only do this with your help.
Here’s how we can ALL help:
- September 11th - 15th, we will be running our "Student to Student Campaign."
- Collect at least $1 for each student from families who wish to give.
- Marian Central will then prepare a single check made payable to NCEA.
- NCEA will distribute 100% of the funds collected to dioceses in the affected areas for their Catholic schools in vital need of support due to the impact of Hurricane Harvey.
For more information on these activities and the Student to Student campaign, please visitwww.NCEA.org/STS.
Coffee with the Principal! Come Join Us Tuesday, Sept. 19th at 6:30 pm!
PLEASE NOTE THE DATE CHANGE to Sept. 19th (originally Sept. 21st) in the title, and in the linked invite! (this newsletter was updated 9/11/17 - we apologize for any confusion!)
Click HERE for the official invite/newsletter and RSVP to join Ms. Novy!
Principal's Coffee was designed to invite parents to come and hear about what new things are brewing at Marian. It also allows parents to discuss ideas, concerns, and perspectives with regards to our school.
Please consider attending our first Principal's Coffee of the year, meet other parents, and talk with the Principal directly, all in the hopes of making Marian a stand-out from other high schools; providing the highest academics, spiritual guidance, and social/emotional support possible to our students.
If you cannot make this meeting, no worries. We hold one each quarter. This year we will be alternating our meeting times to meet the needs of more families. Quarters 1 & 3 will be held in the evening and Quarters 2 & 4 will be morning sessions.
HOMECOMING WEEK is COMING: September 25 - 30th
Date Request Forms will be available in the office starting Monday, Sept. 11th. They are also linked within the Facts Sheet above and available for immediate download!
Have Any Prospective Student Interested in Visiting Marian Central?
Marian Central Catholic High School is now officially open for shadow visits! We encourage both seventh and eight grade prospective students to join us for a day of school. Please contact Mike Maloney, Director of Admissions, at 815-338-4220 ext. 108 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
Help Take Marian to New Heights!
MARIAN CENTRAL CATHOLIC POSTERS are available. Please consider showing your Hurricane Pride by displaying our posters in your place of business. They are available for pick up in the main office. We also would love to know where you will be posting them. We'd love to cover the county! Questions can be directed to Mike Maloney in the Admissions Office, 815-338-4220 ext. 108.
Practice ACT Testing Available again this year!
This October, the Marian Central Catholic H. S. Library is offering an opportunity for Juniors to take a complete practice ACT test, spread out over two after-school sessions. The testing will take place on October 3rd (2:30 - 5:00) and October 4th (2:30 - 4:00). These are official practice tests from ACT, and students will receive scaled scores for each test section and subsection. This is an opportunity for Marian students to get an idea of the types of questions they will be seeing on the real test. They will also experience the ACT testing environment, complete with proctored instructions, ACT rules, and more than one test in one sitting. Test seating is limited to the first 25 students to register. If you are interested, please print the form linked below, complete the signature block, and return it to the Marian library no later than September 29th. You will be notified by e-mail once your form has been received. Watch the Marian website for information on the number of seats available.
Additional practice ACT tests will be offered in January and March, open to both Sophomores and Juniors.
Weekend Sale! 25% off through Sept. 11th!
Land's End is running another great sale! Receive 25% off regular-price styles!
Savings reflected at checkout when you enter
Promotion Code: CIDER
Receive 25% off regular-price styles online, in-store or by phone (excludes buy more and save pricing, monogramming, gift boxing, gift cards, shipping, taxes, duties, Lands' End Business Outfitters purchases, and excluded items as marked) Promotions and products may vary in-store. Prices as marked in-store. Discount will be applied at checkout. This offer has no cash value. Promotional savings may be deducted from returns. 5-7 business day delivery to most addresses. Offer valid through 11:59 p.m. Central, September 11, 2017. Not valid on previous purchases or when combined with any other promotional offers.
First Fine Arts Boosters Meeting: Thursday, Sept. 14th 7pm in Auditorium!
Interested in getting involved? Email our Fine Arts Boosters President, Amy Birkhoff at email@example.com for more information!
Follow Marian Central on Social Media!
Facebook page: MarianCentralCatholic
The more you "tag" us in your posts, the more we can retweet and share all the great news happening within our Marian community. The next time you're at a game or event and want to share a great photo, please tag us and we will share it out! We're also having fun scanning and sharing out some "vintage" photos from previous years, so we hope you enjoy these wonderful memories and share them with friends and family!
All announcements, schedules, and forms are published on our Marian website for your convenience! After any new announcements are broadcast via email, we make sure we post a permanent link to the information on our website for your reference.