States Of Matter
2. what are the 3 states of matter? is there a fourth?explain each one and use a image.
- Solid is a sample of matter that retains its shape and density when not confined.
- Liquid is a sample of matter that conforms to the shape of a container in which it is held, and which acquires a defined surface in the presence of gravity.
- Gas is a sample of matter that conforms to the shape of a container in which it is held and acquires a uniform density inside.
3. how do the particles move around within the 3 states of matter? use a diagram
- gas the particles spread out
- liquid the particles are quite close together, have no regular arrangement
- solids the particles are tightly packed
4. what are the properties of the 3 states of matter?
- Solid doesn't change shape easily,particles don't move around and particles are in a aligned array.
- Liquid takes up space in a container,has surface tension and moves around.
- Gas is invisible and particles move around freely.
5. What are 5 changes of the state of matter?Explain each one and use a diagram.
- Melting a transition from solid to liquid.
- Freezing a transition from liquid to solid.
- Evaporation a transition from liquid to gas.
- Condensation a transition from gas to liquid.
- Deposition a transition from gas to solid.
- Sublimation a transition from solid to gas.
6.Describe the physical and chemical changes of matter? Which one is reversible and which one is irreversible.
- physical change only changes the appearance of a substance, not its chemical composition.
- chemical change causes substance to change into an entirely substance with a new chemical formula.