September 8, 2023
Welcome to the 2023-2024 School Year!
Greetings Cohasset Families,
We are excited to welcome everyone back to what promises to be a wonderful school year. This year we will continue to focus our efforts as a school community on the implementation of the third and final year of the Cohasset Public Schools Strategic Plan 2021- 2024, which was created collaboratively by the entire Cohasset School Community.
We will strive to create an environment that is focused on the whole student, as we help students realize this year’s theme, “Follow Your Compass.” We are excited to help students achieve the gains that come from navigating their educational journey, as they understand their strengths and opportunities for growth.
Above all else, please know that we are here to support you and your child. Please do not hesitate to contact me or any staff member if we can help along this year’s journey.
Please click on the included links to access the Welcome Letter for the 2023-2024 School Year.
Patrick Sullivan, Ed.D.
Cohasset Public Schools
Cohasset Public Schools' Strategic Plan for 2021- 2024
Please Click on the Link Below to Access the Entire Strategic Plan
Verify and update contact information in Aspen's Family Portal
All parent/guardians of CPS students are now able to verify and update their contact information in Aspen's Parent Portal.
The workflow is intended for a parent/guardian to electronically update (per student) the following information:
- Emergency Contact Information
- Do Not Photograph
- Handbook Acknowledgment
- Information Sharing with the PSO and CEF
Instructions on how to complete the workflow can be found here:
Other Major Focus Points
Images of the Week
Please see the presentation below to view summer happenings, opening days for teachers, images from the first few days of school, and district focus points for 2023-2024
Upcoming Back to School Open Houses
Joseph Osgood School Open House : September 19
Deer Hill Open House: September 21
Cohasset High School Open House: September 27
Cohasset Middle School Open House: September 28
School Improvement Plans for 2023-2024
Safety is a Priority for Cohasset Public Schools
Safety is a paramount for Cohasset Public Schools. This summer, Cohasset District Leadership worked collectively with Cohasset Police, Cohasset Fire, Emergency Management, Facilities, Technology, external safety plan advisors, and School Committee Safety Subcommittee members to refine, revise, and create safety protocols. Please be aware that we will not be providing entrance to our buildings to anyone who does not present a proper license, even if we are aware of who the person is. This is a standard protocol that is necessary to ensure safety. All visitors will continue to be screened via our Raptor or Lobby Guard technology through use of their license.
- As a District, we have developed an emergency preparedness plan for each of our buildings. These plans were created in coordination with local police, fire, and emergency management departments. We meet as a District Crisis Team each summer and periodically throughout the year to refine plans, and we are in constant collaboration and communication.
- In conjunction with the Cohasset Police Department, our district has fully implemented the ALICE protocol as a response to any potential armed intruder. "ALICE is designed to provide comprehensive preparedness in the event of an intruder in one of our schools. The goal is to utilize infrastructure, technology, and human action to increase overall student and staff safety" (Acton-Boxborough Superintendent Message). Our staff receives annual training in this protocol from members of the Cohasset Police Department, and we supplement this training with periodic drills and scenarios to further increase our preparedness. Each school has a Crisis Team, in addition to our District Crisis Team. Currently, more than 900 schools, businesses, universities, hospitals, and municipalities have adopted the ALICE protocol. A summary of our approach can be found on the District web-site.
- The protocols we updated this year are all available on the District Web-site under "Our District." Here are links to these important safety protocols:
- Cohasset Public Schools Crisis Plan
- Signed Memorandum of understanding (MOU) regarding School Resource Officer (SRO) with Cohasset Police
- Staff to Student Incident Procedure
- Bullying Investigation Flowchart (that administrators follow)
- Bullying Reporting Form
- Handbook language regarding bullying, hazing, and harassment for those participating in after-school events and extra-curricular activities, which was approved at the 9/7/2022 School Committee Meeting.
- Responding to a Potential Threat Protocol
- Bus Accident Procedures and Protocols
In addition, we have many upgrades implemented and planned for our safety systems that were recommended as part of our recent facilities review.
"Bullying" is the repeated use by one or more students or school staff members of a written, verbal, or electronic expression, or a physical act or gesture, or any combination thereof, directed at a target that:
• causes physical or emotional harm to the target or damage to the target's property;
• places the target in reasonable fear of harm to him/herself, or of damage to his/her property;
• creates a hostile environment at school for the target;
• infringes on the rights of the target at school; or
• materially and substantially disrupts the education process or the orderly operation of a school.
"Cyber-bullying" means bullying through the use of technology or any electronic communication, which shall include, but shall not be limited to, any transfer of signs, signals, writing, images, sounds, data or intelligence of any nature transmitted in whole or in part by a: • wire • radio • electromagnetic • photo-electronic or photo-optical system, including, but not limited to, electronic mail, internet communications, instant messages or facsimile communications.
Cyber-bullying shall also include the creation of a web page or blog in which the creator assumes the identity of another person or knowingly impersonates another person as author of posted content or messages, if the creation or impersonation creates any of the conditions enumerated in the definition of bullying.
Cyber-bullying shall also include the distribution by electronic means of a communication to more than one person or the posting of material on an electronic medium that may be accessed by one or more persons, if the distribution or posting creates any of the conditions enumerated in the definition of bullying.
Bullying and cyber-bullying may occur in and out of school, during and after school hours, at home and in locations outside of the home. When bullying and cyber-bullying are alleged, the full cooperation and assistance of parents and families are expected.
Bullying is prohibited:
- On school grounds;
- On property immediately adjacent to school grounds;
- At school-sponsored or school-related activities;
- At functions or programs whether on or off school grounds;
- At school bus stops;
- On school buses or other vehicles owned, leased or used by the school district; or,
- Through the use of technology or an electronic device owned, leased or used by the school district.
Bullying and cyber-bullying are prohibited at a location, activity, function or program that is not school-related or through the use of technology or an electronic device that is not owned, leased or used by the school district if the act or acts in question:
- create a hostile environment at school for the target;
- infringe on the rights of the target at school; and/or
- materially and substantially disrupt the education process or the orderly operation of a school.
Please see the link below for more information regarding bullying prevention and reporting.
We are committed to stopping bullying and working with our students to promote kindness and empathy towards all.
- Overview of Laws and Regulations - State & Federal
- CPS Procedures for Office of Civil Rights (OCR) Complaints
- Section 504 Accommodation Plans
- Safe School- MA Anti-Bullying Law - CPS Policy
- Confidentiality of Information
- Confidentiality of Student Records
- Harassment in the Workplace
- Chapter 222 of the Acts of 2012 (Student Discipline)
- McKinney - Vento
- Foster Care
- Military Connected Students
- Physical Restraint Law - CPS Policy
- Right to Know Law
- Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse or Neglect
- Employee Handbook
- CPS School Committee Policies
- Overview of Laws and Regulations - State and Federal
- FAPE in LRE
- IEP - Accommodations vs. Modifications
- KnowBe4 Training
- ·Annual Health Training from Nurses for all staff
Finance and Operations Updates
We continue to update our school website. Please visit the Human Resource page located within the Finance and Operations Department. There you will find lots of exciting information for staff including training videos for Aspen, Aesop as well as updated employee forms. If you have any ideas of what you would like to see on the HR page, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Finance and Operations News:
Cohasset Public Schools is Hiring:
We are looking for Educational Support Professionals, please visit www.schoolspring.com to apply
We are also looking for Café staff, please email your resume to Marilyn Haraden
Fitness Center and the Learning Commons are now open to the students on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
BUS REGISTRATION FOR THE 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR IS UNDERWAY
Online payment is available through MySchoolBucks. Please visit our Transportation Tab on our school website for more information on registering and paying online. You can also complete the registration form, which can be found on our website, and mail it with your payment, if applicable, to: Cohasset Public Schools, Transportation Department at: 143 Pond Street, Cohasset, MA 02025
We are excited to share with you that all bus passes will be available through your Aspen Parent Portal
Once bus passes are loaded into Aspen, these are the instructions for downloading the pass:
1) Log into Aspen: https://ma-cohasset.myfollett.com/aspen/logon.do
2) Click on Family Tab at the top
3) Click on Child’s Name
4) Click on Documents Side Tab
5) Look for and download Bus Pass 2023-2024 document
Students with a smartphone can download or display a screenshot of the bus pass on their devices.
If you have any issues logging into your Aspen Parent Portal account, please submit an IT ticket to: email@example.com. Please put “Aspen Parent Portal” in the subject line to ensure a timely response
*Stopfinder invites have been emailed, please contact Jerilyn Ballard if you have not received your invite or have questions about the app.
Stopfinder is the all-in-one parent engagement app designed by parents for parents to keep you in the know. Receive bus location and messages, updates, and alerts in real-time. No other parent app provides this much information in real-time to parents and school transportation departments. Think of the peace of mind when parents and guardians know where their child’s bus is and when their student arrives at school or when dropped off at the bus stop.
In the Transportation tab on our website, you will find helpful tutorials on how the parent app works.
Cohasset Public Schools Vision of Equity
CPS Equity Vision Statement
BE THE CHANGE
Please visit our website for resources regarding the promotion of diversity.
Cohasset PSO Happenings
Cohasset Education Foundation (CEF)
CEF Fall Fundraiser...get your tickets below
Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment: Assistant Superintendent Leslie Scollins, Ed.D.
Please see the Professional Development Calendar below for more information about the professional development for this year.
Cohasset High School Vision of the Graduate
The Student Opportunity Act
The Student Opportunity Act (SOA) implements the recommendations of the 2015 Foundation Budget Review Commission and includes other provisions to benefit our public schools.
As part of the SOA, districts are required to submit three-year, evidence-based plans aimed at closing persistent disparities in achievement among student subgroups. The District submitted the SOA Plan in January 2021 and then sent the amended plan in March 2022. Please see the presentation below.
Office of Student Services
Opening Letters and Information Regarding Multi-Tiered Student System of Supports (MTSS)
Be Sure to View the Information on the Student Services Web Page
Digital Learning & Technology Updates
Dear CPS Families,
Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year!
Please review our Tech For Families page on the Cohasset Public Schools web site for a list of links and Getting Started resources for CPS families, such as Aspen and Google.
For Families in Grades 6-12, your child is a member of our BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) program. Check out our recommended specifications to ensure that you purchase a device that will support their learning at CPS.
Follow these steps to help your child install the BYOD certificate at home:
Contact our IT Help Desk for help with your Aspen Family or Student Portal Account, a forgot/lost Cohasset K12 Google Account password, or for assistance with your child’s BYOD device.
A Message from Food Services
Welcome to the 2023-24 school year. The Cohasset Public Schools Department of Food and Nutrition is excited to provide breakfast and lunches to all students in the district for free this year once again through the state of Massachusetts.
State officials have clarified that while school meals will be universally free for all students during SY 2023-2024, all school districts must continue to make school meal applications available to certify children for free and reduced price meals and that information may be used to qualify newly eligibly children for P-EBT.
Therefore, a new SY 2023-2024 meal household application must be filled out to qualify for these benefits.
If you already received a letter from the district do not fill out another application.
We will be sending forms out and they are also available on Please our website cohassetk12.org to fill out a SY 2023-2024 free and reduced application. Forms are available under the nutrition tab.
REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION TO BE APPROVED:
Step 1: Child’s full legal name and school (no nicknames)
Step 2: Number is provided on your letter – not your card
Step 3. Name and income – (Weekly, Bi –Weekly, 2x Monthly or Monthly)
If you are a seasonal employee, please enter annual income
Step 4: Last 4 digits of Social Security and Signature are REQUIRED –If not received, applications will be denied automatically and will delay approval process.
- New form is required, status does not carry over from year to year.
- ONE form per family. Please make sure all children are included on the form that are in your household, including those that do not attend school
- Only one application is required. If an online application is completed, a paper application is not needed.
- If you have any questions, please contact food services at 781-383-6107 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marilyn Haraden, Director of Food Services
Cohasset Public Schools
Good Luck to all of our Fall Sports Teams as they begin competition!
SAFE HARBORS UPDATES
Most Recent Safe Harbors Newsletter
Thank you to all of our counselors for their caring and selfless work throughout the District!
Osgood: Dave Vinton email@example.com (adjustment counselor)
Deer Hill: Robyn Costa firstname.lastname@example.org (adjustment counselor)
Deer Hill and Osgood: Maeve Dulles email@example.com (adjustment counselor)
Deer Hill and Osgood: Alyson Doyle firstname.lastname@example.org (school psychologist)
CMS: Emily Manewal email@example.com (adjustment Counselor)
Allison Pearce firstname.lastname@example.org (school psychologist)
CHS: Laura Struzziery email@example.com (lead counselor)
Leanne McCarthy firstname.lastname@example.org (high school adjustment counselor)
Kevin McGowan email@example.com (high school counselor)
Allison Battista firstname.lastname@example.org (high school counselor)
Catlin Stromberg email@example.com (school psychologist)
Robert Collins firstname.lastname@example.org (middle and high school social worker)
Take Care of Yourself and Take Care of Each Other
Please click on the following link to access even more information on the Cohasset Public Schools Web Site.
You can also follow the entire leadership team on Twitter to see real-time updates.
Assistant Superintendent: @CPSAssistantSup
Joseph Osgood School: @JOsgoodppal
Deer Hill School: @DeerHillSchool
Cohasset Middle School: @comsprincipal
Cohasset High School: @CoHSPrincipal
We utilize both Aspen and Blackboard communications to inform families of important events, cancellations, and happenings.