Ms. DesBarres Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- BUDDY BOOKS: Students are continuing to bring home their buddy books daily. Please remember that these leveled books are for your child to read to you. They must be returned daily- just like their library books.
- "Buddy Books" Bookmarks: These are still in motion! I will be giving students a new copy of these next week as some book marks have been lost!
- Math: In math we have started a new unit. This unit focuses on the introduction of addition and subtraction! The students have been engaged in different math activities and centers this week which have helped to kick start the development of their addition and subtraction skills. Alongside the centers and activities the students learned a new song this week called "Monster Jam." This song not only gets the students to use their knowledge of rhythm and singing but their addition skills as well. Lastly, the students continue to practice their five math strategies this week which have helped guide them when working through math tasks. The strategies are: drawing a picture (to represent the numbers), using their fingers, using a ten frame, tally marks and counting on (example: starting at 20 count on by one 20....21....22...23...24)
- Class Dojo- A new "program" I have started using in our class is called Class Dojo (The kids have shown a lot of excitement towards this!). This is a program that tracks your child's behavior (both positive and negative). Your child has a chance to earn points based on the following things: being kind, on task , working hard, helping others etc..) They can also lose points based in these things: off task, being unkind, being disrespectful etc...) Once your child reaches certain amounts of points they get to choose a coupon (the children love these! Ask them what kinds of coupons they can choose from). I also have decided that once we collectively as a class reach so many points we will have a party! (Example: 1000 pts- pajama party and so on..) An amazing part of this program is that you are able to view how your child is doing (at anytime!) by accepting the invite sent by me! (These have already been sent out) I strive to focus on catching positive behavior rather than negative as I feel by noticing those things it allows for the child to feel good about the 'smart choices' they are making!
1) This week we were introduced to 1 new character who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Jenny Jaquar. Then have them tell you what sound that one character likes the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent that sound. Jenny Jaquar (Jj and Gg).
2) This week we learned two new sight word. Ask your child if they remember what it was.(at and that). Hint: we made a watch that has the word that on it!
3) Two words we continue to focus on this month are: kindness and patience. Ask your child what these words mean and how they can show kindness and patience to others.
4) We have started on a new word work activity that we will be doing every Wednesday called making words. This activity encourages the students to use their knowledge of both letters (names and sounds) and words. This week the students had 5 letters: a, d, n, s, and t. With these letters the students created as many words as they could. We discovered we could make 10+ words with only 5 letters! Ask your child what their favorite word we created with these letters was.