Carpeting a Basement
By Kenzie Frisch
First thing first:
This job is an easy job, and only takes one day. It makes a huge difference in the feel of your basement, and really ties everything together. The price can range from $100 to $500.
Tools needed for the job:
- Cordless drill
- Circular saw
Materials needed for the job:
- 6 mil poly or High density, dimpled polyethylene sheet
- Vapor barrier tape
- Concrete screws
Dry floor=Happy Basement
- Always apply a vapor barrier before applying the wood subfloor and the carpet pad. This can keep moisture out of the floor and avoid a moldy carpet.
- If your floor isn't persistently moist, you can skip the vapor barrier however it's better to be safe than sorry.
- Lay the vapor barrier on the concrete floor
- Overlap the edges in the corner and tape the seams
- Apply the plywood layer over that and screw it in
- Consult a building inspector for further instruction on what is allowed for your residence