Astronomy - My Dream Career
By: Ruben Morales
1) Analyze research data to determine its significance, using computers.
2) Calculate orbits, and determine sizes, shapes, brightness, and motions of different celestial bodies.
3) Collaborate with other astronomers to carry out research projects.
4) Develop theories based on personal observations, or on observations and theories of other astronomers.
5) Measure radio, infrared, gamma, and x-ray emissions from extraterrestrial sources.
6) Present research findings at scientific conferences, and in papers written for scientific journals.
The work environment for astronomers are usually at observatories, studying images from some spacecrafts. They also work in laboratories not using tubes and medical samples but through sophisticated computer technology. Astronomers work in offices they are employed by the government, academic institutions and private industries. Approximately 55 percent of astronomers are associated with universities, according to the AAS.
Education and Training
Most astronomy positions require a PhD in the field of astronomy, which usually takes 5-7 years to complete. These programs are likely to contain courses in astrophysics, stellar and planetary physics, galaxies, cosmology, interstellar medium
Preferred Job Skills
Have strong observation and research skills
Also adept to mathematics and physics.
- And demonstrate they are inquisitive and imaginative.
10% (As fast as average)
The average salary of an Astronomer is $110,440. Salaries start from $51,670 and go up to $170,230.
Under here is a brief introduction about astronomy.
High School Preparation
Fortunately for me my school Leyden High School provides many different clubs to help me prepare for example.
- Computer Science Club
Two clubs that would be beneficial is a computer science club because as a astronomer you will have to use computers, also Principia club to get in depth in more science.
A good head start to astronomy is usually through a club like the Northern Western Suburban Astronomers NSA which provides with public meetings, star parties.
My Post-Secondary Plans
1.) Northern Western University of Illinois
2.) University of Chicago