Chapman Chargers Update
Good Morning Chapman Families!
In true Chapman fashion, we started off the new year running! Literally! The running club has begun and will be every Tuesday and Thursday for those that are signed up. We have 100 runners!
We are also in the middle of NWEA testing. This winter testing session will help to continue to guide the teacher's instruction through the rest of the year and also provide data on the progress of our students. It is important that students come to school prepared for testing. Please check with your teachers for dates of their testing sessions.
Lower elementary students continue to practice the 5 finger retell when reading a text. You can practice at home with your child by asking these questions:
1. Who are the characters?
2. What is the setting?
3. What is the problem?
4. What is the sequence of events in the story?
5. What is the ending/solution?
Check out this newspaper article on one of our very own Chapman Kindergartners!
January food menu is attached at the bottom of the newsletter!
* Please make sure that all students have coats (Boots and Snow pants too!) when they come to school! We are in that transition of cold weather and I would hate to have students miss a needed recess because they are not dressed appropriately. If your child is in need of a coat, please contact me and I will make sure that they have one. It is also a good idea to pack extra socks and an extra set of clothes in backpacks in case students get wet playing in the snow.
This Week's Schedule:
Running Club 8 AM
Running Club AM
4th Grade Ford Rouge Plant Field Trip
Half Day for Students
Monday 01/21- No School in Observance of Martin Luther King's Birthday
Friday 01/25- Half Day- End of Marking Period
Please be patient and pull as far forward as possible in the carpool line. BOTH doors are open for students to enter the building. Please remember for your safety and the safety of the students to please only get out on the curb side of the car. If you have to get out of the car for any reason please park in the parking lot to do so. Please stay in line in carpool and do not cut around. This is for the safety of the families that are crossing the carpool lane. I appreciate all the great work and how smoothly the morning drop off procedures are going! Well done!
* Watchdogs are up and running! If you would like to volunteer to be a Watchdog, please go to this link to sign up! Thank you in advance to all of our Watchdogs!
* It is that time a year where we have to be very careful about sending our students to school when they are not feeling well. Remember that students should be fever free for at least 24 hours before returning to school. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us and we can help in making a decision.
* Please like our Facebook page Chapman Elementary (SEARCH FOR @GSDChapman on Facebook or follow this link https://www.facebook.com/pg/GSDChapman/services/?ref=page_internal ) and follow us on Twitter @guizzettiland #GSDChapman. This is a great way to stay informed of school happenings throughout the year.
Count On Me,
Principal, Chapman Elementary