Comet & Asteroid
By: Alisha Dhillon
- Comets are mostly dusty snowballs that orbit around the Sun. When the comet travels close to the Sun, it can create 2 different kinds of tail. A gas tail that is created by the solar wind by pushing gas away from the comet's coma. A dust tail which is curved that follows the comet's orbit. It forms a curve tail because the dust in the coma doesn't get affected from the magnetic fields by the Sun's heat.
- About 4.6 billion years ago comets where created by the collapse. Comets are the materials left over from the planets. Some of matter don't go into the planets and remain out to make small bumps of frozen gas and dust. This happened in the deepest region of the solar system where the temperatures are freezing, freezing enough to make ice.
- Comets orbit around the Sun and planetary orbit is where the planet orbit around the Sun. They both orbit around the sun even though the comet will take a much longer time in doing it. Another thing different about the two is that when the planet orbit around the Sun, nothing happens for example no tail is forming like it does when a comet orbits around the Sun.
- Comets far away normally look like a big dusty snowball because there is no magnetic fields. The magnetic fields cause the comet to drift smaller causing the tails that's why when a comet is near the Sun, it creates the tails.
- Asteroids are piles of metal and rock that are way smaller than the planets it orbit and the sun. In the solar system asteroid are found in the asteroid belt which is between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.
- Meteors are objects that are made from comets dust that enter the Earths atmosphere. Meteorite are rocks that fall from space onto the Earths atmosphere. Asteroids like I said earlier are rocks found in the asteroid belt orbiting around the Sun. Some people may think all three of these are similar but as you can see there not.
- A-near-Earth asteroid is when the trajectory is within 1.3 AU from the Sun and within 0.3 AU from the Earth's orbit. In other words it's when an asteroid is close to the Earth's atmosphere.
- In 1490 an asteroid hit the city of Chiling-yang in China, killing approximately 10,000 people. It affected a lot of people because there was no warning about the asteroid coming. They didn't have time to take cover, if they did maybe there would be more life's saved.
First time ever seeing an asteroid breaking apart, taken from NASA Hubble Space Telescope.
"Ask an Astronomer." Cool Cosmos. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Dec. 2014.
"Asteroids." - Pass My Exams: Easy Exam Revision Notes for GSCE Physics. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.
"History of Asteroid Impacts." History of Asteroid Impacts. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.
"Hubble Sees Suspected Asteroid Collision - NASA Science." Hubble Sees Suspected Asteroid Collision - NASA Science. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.
"HubbleSite - Reference Desk - FAQs." HubbleSite - Reference Desk - FAQs. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.
"International Astronomical Union | IAU." Near Earth Asteroids. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.
"Meteor, Meteorite, Asteroid: What's the Difference?" AMNH. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.
"ScienceCasts: Comet of the Century." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.
"Trail of Dust May Point to Fresh Violence in Asteroid Belt." - Space. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Dec. 2014.
"Hubble Witnesses an Asteroid Mysteriously Disintegrating." Www.spacetelescope.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2014.