The Eagle Call
Grit, Growth Mindset, and No Excuses
Welcome to December! It is hard to believe that we only have three short weeks until will be out for an extended winter break! These next three weeks will be full of learning, but also fun activities as well. It is truly a magical time of year and their is no better way to experience it than through the eyes of children!
One of the things that we are helping students understand this year is how to assess how they are performing, how to set goals and then how to evaluate how they are doing with achieving their goals. We do this each month in Reading, Math, and Writing because, as a No Excuses School, we are committed to ensuring all of our students are proficient or advanced in these areas. I would encourage you to ask your students about their goals. Ask them how they decide how to set their goals. Ask them what they do if they reach a goal, but also what they do if they don't reach a goal. Research shows that it is critical that learners in the 21st Century know how to set goals and measure their progress. At Degan, we work to teach our students how to make this a lifelong habit.
Below I have included a great article about how you can incorporate growth mindset strategies at home. For our children to be successful, they need to not only know what they want to accomplish it but how to overcome challenges and setbacks to achieving those goals. Persistence is key!
I know that this time of year can also add pressure for many families. Please know that we are always a partner with you. My door is always open and if I can be of assistance, I want to do whatever I can to support you.
Thank you for sharing your precious children with us each day!
How to Cultivate a Growth Mindset in Your Child:
Consider giving to LEF to honor your child's Teacher!
Don't forget these important dates!
December 2-Sonic Night
December 3-Think College Thursday
December 4-Club Friday 4th/2nd
December 10-Think College Thursday
December 11-Club Friday 3rd/1st
December 15-Zoe's Fundraiser Night
December 17-Think College Thursday/Christmas Parties
December 18-Polar Express/Pajama Day Early Dismissal 12:30 p.m.
A monthly calendar is sent in the 1st Newsday Tuesday of the month. Weekly updates and reminders are sent each Tuesday.
- Please make sure you have turned in your money for the chocolate sold for the fundraiser
- PTA is having a "Five Below" Fundraiser December 11th, 12th, and 13th from 8am-11pm 5801 Long Prairie Rd, Flowermound, TX 75028 10% of purchase come back to benefit Degan!
Essential Eagle "Need to Knows": Attendance Reminders
As we near the end of the semester, it is critical to remember district attendance policies:
- Your child must attend 90 percent of school days to receive credit for the year. Failure to do so may result in having to attend summer school or being retained (even with passing grades).
- If you are going to be out for a preplanned event (not illness or doctor's appointment), you must request approval for an excused absence prior to the absence. This form is available on our website or through Mrs. Casarez. (only five preplanned absences can be approved per year, grades must be passing, and these absences cannot put the student above 10 percent absences).
- Only three days per semester can be excused for illness based on parent notes. Otherwise, you must have a doctor's note for it to be excused.
- Excused absences are required for makeup work.
- Only three excused absences are allowed to be considered for Take Flight and SOAR. (No unexcused absences).
- If you have a transfer to attend Degan, you must comply with attendance policies, maintain passing grades, and refrain from discipline issues to keep your transfer status.
Don't forget your college shirts every Thursday and Degan spirit wear every Friday (if you don't have a Degan shirt, wear GREEN)!
This Week's Eagle Essential Skill and Nine Week's Foundational Character Trait
- Having a Conversation
- Sharing Something with Someone
- Using an Appropriate Voice Tone
All of these are great life skills and continue to support our 2nd Nine Weeks Character Trait of Respect. Doing these things correctly demonstrates respect for those around you.
Flu Shot Clinic Information
Didn't Make it to Watch DOGS or MOD Squad Sign Ups?
Degan Office Staff
We are here to help with any needs or questions you may have. Stop by or call: 469-713-5967
Vanessa Stuart, Principal
Kyle Smith, Asst. Principal
Shelley Blevins, Counselor
Jill Fuller, Nurse
Chandra Ayres, Secretary
Kelly Casarez, Attendance Clerk
Megan Espinoza, Office Clerk
Kim Teamer, Data Clerk
Office Hours 7:15 a.m. -3:30 p.m.
For assistance/questions outside these times, please call 469-713-5967 and leave a message, someone will get back with you shortly.
See more information about NEU here!
We will be using Brainology to help teach our kids growth mindset this year in 3-5. PK-2 will use GEM (Growing Early Mindsets!)
Click here for all things Degan!