Welcome to the 2019-2020 School Year!
"We only get one chance to prepare our students for a future
that none of us can possibly predict.
What are we going to do with that one chance?"
Dear Riverview Families,
We don’t know about you, but Adventure Awaits us for the 2019-2020 school year! Our theme is Around the World, and we are entering into Year 2 of being a Leader In Me ("LIM") school! A huge thank you again to all of the 2019-20 parents who have supported this important new building initiative! Our staff are so excited for what is in store for the year!
Summer is almostover, and we have been carefully preparing for the arrival of our students and believe that this year will be a great educational experience where all students discover their treasures, map their journey, and follow their compass as they set out on a voyage to success. Why? Because all students possess leadership skills, and it's just a matter of helping them chart their course and choose their adventure!
If you were with us last year, you know we taught and applied Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People within our school community. This summer, all teachers are receiving training from the Covey Foundation on Aligning Academics to help students learn how to best set, track, and meet their goals, and we are excited to pass this along to our families throughout the year! Be on the lookout for more on how the principles of personal and interpersonal effectiveness, such as responsibility, vision, integrity, teamwork, collaboration and renewal, can make a lasting impact in all areas of our lives. By being open to positive change and having a growth mindset, we hope to help students see the importance of viewing every challenge as a learning opportunity. We will encourage our students to grow socially, emotionally and academically.
School is quickly approaching and in order to keep you informed and prepared, I would like to communicate some information prior to the start of the year.
August 1st, 1:00-8:00 pm & August 2nd, 8:00am – 12:00pm– Open Enrollment – This is a time for families new to the area to stop by school and enroll new students. If you have already enrolled your child in the spring (including kindergarten roundup), you do not need to stop by the school. Our secretaries have also been busy checking records, and if you received notice to drop hard-copy documents by the school to complete your enrollment, this is a great time to do so. Our nurses are not on site during this time. If you have any nurse-related questions that cannot wait until the BTSB, please email the district nurse coordinator, Tara Harmon-Moore at THarmonMoore@usd232.org.
Monday August 12, Back-to-School Bash!!
In order to protect student privacy and to provide an opportunity to find out classroom teachers in advance of the Back-To-School Bash, parents will be emailed their students’ classroom teacher on Monday, August 12. If you would like to wait until you arrive that evening to find out who your student’s teacher is, we will have staff members present with class rosters to share student/teacher information as requested for your student(s) that evening. If you ordered school supplies through the PTA in the spring, they will already be waiting for you in your child’s assigned classroom. If you would still like to order school supplies to be waiting for you in your child’s classroom, via the PTA, click HERE. If you would like to shop for the supplies on your own, click HERE for a copy of our school supplies list by grade.
- The Riverview staff will be happy to see you at our Back-To-School Bash on Monday, August 12, from 4:00-6:00 pm. The gym will be open at 3:30 pm for parents to come and check out extra-curricular opportunities, the PTA table, and a Student Nutrition representative will also be present.
- There will also be an extended Kindergarten Extended Back to School Hour from 3:00-6:00 on Aug. 12 (open for kindergartners and their parents also from 3:00-4:00 pm). At the Back-To-School Bash, parents will be provided with important classroom parent information material.
- New to Riverview? Consider attending a Falcon Orientation Meeting with Principal Mildren at the Back-to-School Bash on August 12. You will receive information about important policies and procedures, tour arrival and dismissal locations, and have a chance to ask questions! The Falcon Orientation Meeting will be from 5:30-6:00 pm and meet in the school foyer by the office.
- Attention 5th Grade Parents: A Band Information Meeting for parents whose children want to take 5th Grade Band will be held from 5:30-6:00 pm in the East Activity Area.
Extracurricular Activities & School Teams
At the Back-to-School Bash, to give families the opportunity to see the many extracurricular activities offered at our facility, RE families will enter through our fabulous gym before heading into the building. Although Riverview does not directly sponsor or endorse third party extracurricular activities, there will be representatives present to answer questions about the following activities offered on-site that parents can sign up for electronically or that evening:
- LEGO/Robotics Club (K-5)
- Mad Science
- Young Rembrandts
- JCPRD Before- and After-School Care
- Riverview Student Nutrition Staff
- Riverview PTA
The 2019-2020 PTA Board does accept online payments this year, and offering a discounted Back-To-School Bundle, which includes several awesome items including a PTA membership and Falcon Card that offers area discounts. All items can be purchased separately as well. Go to the PTA webpage at www.REFalconsPTA.org and click on "SHOP” for details. Be sure to stop by the PTA table at the Back-to-School night for spirit wear and join our wonderful PTA!
Wednesday, August 14 – First Day of School for ALL students!!
Aug. 14 is a HALF-DAY of school for ALL students. School is in session 8:45 am-12:10 pm.
- Lunch will not be offered on the first day of school, please send your student to school with a snack.
- Parents may walk their child down to their classroom on the first day only. After that, please plan to drop your child off at the front of the building via car or walker. Please note that per district policy, pets are not allowed on school property without prior administrative approval.
- After the first day of school, each day we will have student Greeter Leaders present at the front to help walk kindergarten students to their classrooms daily until all children are comfortable walking down independently.
- If you have questions about building Arrival and Dismissal procedures, including bike rider ages and guidelines, please click on the Arrival and Dismissal School Map HERE. Dismissal will occur at 12:10 pm on Aug. 14. Please be sure you know which route you need to take based on the grades of your children.
Thursday, August 15-Friday Aug. 16 will be typical school days (Arrival is 8:30-8:45am; Dismissal is 3:50 pm).
If you still need clarification, please attend the Orientation meeting at the Back-To-School Bash at 5:30-6:00 pm in the front foyer, and I will review the new arrival car loop procedures in person at that time.
Mark Your Calendars!
Friday, August 23: All Riverview families are welcome to attend the free PTA-sponsored School Social Friday evening 6:30-7:30 pm behind the school. Parking can get full, so please consider walking if you live near enough. Parents asked to keep their children under direct supervision.
Monday, August 26 – PTA General Meeting in the school library.
Wednesday, August 28, RE Dads Kick-Off Event, 6:30-7:30 pm (location TBD). Calling all Dads Of Great Students! Dads are welcome to attend a dads-only dinner, learn about All Pro Dads, and have fun along the way. More information to come.
Thanks for taking the time to review the Falcon Flyer newsletter with all of the Back-To-School details. As with this special edition, it will generally contain some helpful logistics, links to upcoming events and opportunities, and hopefully a little something to support your journey as the parent of a Falcon. In addition to the school’s monthly newsletter, parents will receive an “On Deck” email each Friday, outlining the upcoming week’s school-wide activities to keep informed and Be Proactive in planning ahead.
We look forward to the Adventure that Awaits us this year as a Leader In Me school!
WEST Front Car Loop Arrival: For K-2 Oldest and Only
- Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade students who are Only Children, or
- Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade students with younger siblings
EAST Front Car Loop Arrival: For Grades 3-5 Oldest and Only
- 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students who are Only Children, or
- 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students with all younger siblings
These students will use the EAST Car Loop (the side by the cafeteria). This car loop will not be staffed by Honor Patrol. Students in grades 3-5 are expected to be able to independently get out of the car without assistance, and they can help any younger siblings do so as well. All students MUST exit out of the passenger side of the vehicle. An adult will be supervising this car loop by the front crosswalk.
Afternoon Dismissal car loops will not change from last year; Grades 3-5 Oldest (and younger siblings) and Only Children will be in the front EAST car loop. Grades K-2 (and younger siblings) and Only Children will be in the Back West Car Loop.
View the new Arrival and Dismissal Map and Procedures HERE.
The Leader In Me
Riverview educators have a true passion for instilling a sense of self-confidence, love of learning, and leadership qualities in all students, not just a few at the academic top. Our staff has read the book by Stephen Covey, The Leader In Me, which has been the springboard and inspiration for many of the positive initiatives in the building to do more to empower students. Our staff is ecstatic to be a Leader In Me school, entering into our first official year in the program!
The Leader In Me book describes a process for schools in which educators develop the capacity to help each child realize how their own unique strengths can be applied, and embodies the idea that every student can be a leader. It focuses strongly on teaching students 21st century leadership and life skills through incorporating Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective people into the school culture. The Leader in Me has been shown to produce results such as higher academic achievement, improved problem-solving/critical thinking skills, and increased engagement among teachers and parents. Here is a link with more information. Currently there are only two ‘Lighthouse’ schools in Kansas, but nearly 3,000 schools in the process across the globe. It’s definitely starting to gain attention because of its results, though. Olathe just went from its one lighthouse school to now helping to fund four more schools to get the process going, hoping to achieve similar results.
Our staff members have visited both lighthouse schools in Kansas, and have been impressed by the direct impact on the students and staff at the schools, and the high level of community involvement and support. We can't wait to see what opportunities the Leader In Me could bring to Riverview students and how it will strengthen our community and families. We started utilizing bits and pieces of this philosophy over the past two years at school with no formal training, but this year will be our first formal training on Launching Leadership and Creating Culture with the RE staff!
We want to encourage families to "Set Sail on the 7 Seas of LeaderSHIP" with our staff and to consider reading the book. The Leader In Me (2nd Ed.) outlines the instructional and life-long gains from such a focus on student leadership through the 7 Habits lens.
Thank you for your support and for your involvement in this important process!
On Deck: Upcoming August Events
On Deck: Upcoming August Events
· Sunday, August 11 – Kindergarten “Playground & Popsicles” at the RE Playground, 5:00-6:00 pm. Kindergarten parents and students invited to meet and play on the school playground, Q & A with Mrs. Mildren, and make PTA purchases.
· Monday, August 12 – Kindergarten Extended Back to School Hour, 3:00-6:00 pm at school. Meet the teacher!
· Monday, August 12 – Back-to-School Bash, 4:00-6:00 pm at school. K-5. Enter through the gym (gym opens at 3:30 pm), check out PTA and sign up for extracurricular activities, meet the teacher 4-6 pm!
· Wednesday, August 14 – First Day of School for ALL K-5 students. HALF-DAY ONLY; School is out at 12:10 pm. Please make necessary arrangements for dismissal and after-school child care. Lunch will not be served, please send a snack.
· Friday, August 23 – School Social (RE Playground/Courtyard) 6:30-7:30 pm. All RE families welcome! Come socialize and celebrate the start of a new school year!
- Monday, August 26 - General PTA Meeting 7:00-8:00 pm in the Library. Open to all RE parents.
· Wednesday, August 28, RE Dads Dinner Kick-Off, 6:30-7:30 pm.
Want to Stay Informed? Sign Up for schoolNEWS ALERT
Sign up for Text Alerts
Receive emergency information, school closings, early dismissals and administrative reminders on your mobile device. This text and email service is free, but check with your mobile provider as text messaging and data rates may apply.
To subscribe >> https://www.usd232.org/Domain/83
Community partner Country Club Bank is providing support to ensure this service is available in USD 232.
If your family needs assistance with school supplies, please do not hesitate to contact the office at 913-441-0808 or email BMildren@usd232.org.
The Arrival & Dismissal school map outlines the procedures for all students K-5 with visuals.
Here you will find some summer camps and activities right here at Riverview as well as throughout the district.
The BOE-Approved USD 232 Student and Family Handbook can answer parent questions on a variety of topics.
Click here for the most current PTA News! All PTA information is located at REFalconsPTA.org 24/7! Check it out if you REally want to be in the know!