Put It Out, Before It Puts You Out
By: Jessica Fernandez, Haylee Haynes, Amber Nelson
Don't Smoke, You Will Choke
More than 16 million Americans live with a smoking- related disease. It is very easy to become one of them. Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable disease and death in the United States, accounting for more than 480,000 deaths every year, or 1 of every 5 deaths. Scary to think about, isn't it?
CDC: Tips from Former Smokers -- Terrie's Story
CDC: Tips From Former Smokers - Terrie Don't Smoke Ad
Dangers Of Smoking
- Each day, more than 3,200 people under 18 smoke for the first time, and approximately 2,100 youth and young adults become daily smokers.
- 9 out of 10 smokers start before the age of 18, and 98% start smoking by age 26.
- 1 in 5 adults and teenagers smoke.
- Approximately 18% of high school students smoke cigarettes.
- From 1964 to 2014, the proportion of adult smokers declined from 42.0% to 18.0%, as adolescent smokers rose.