Fun in Fourth Grade
A Newsletter About Our Fantastic 4th Grade "Chastain-ians"
Heartfelt Thanks & Shout Outs
Thank you so much to our families who donated brunch items and came to enjoy our holiday festivities and volunteer in class today! The kids had a blast! Also, I sincerely appreciate the generous and thoughtful gifts that students have given me this week. Students that have been meeting in my classroom after school for a book club have replaced my ratty old rug with a beautiful new one! I am filled with gratitude for my sweet students and their families. Thank you!
Thank you so much, Christa Cobb, for teaching our students knots in preparation for Age of Sail! Your support is so appreciated!
Age of Sail Update
- If you have not submitted your letter from home for your child, please turn this in on Jan. 4th.
- As you begin to think about preparations for Age of Sail, here is the link to the packing list. (Please note your child does NOT need galley gear (metal plate, silverware, etc.)
- Students will bring all of their things to class in an outdoor trash bag (double bag for durability) on Tuesday or Wednesday when we return (Jan. 5 or 6). Clearly label this bag on duct or masking tape with student's name and crew.
- An email reminder will come out during the week of Jan. 4th with all the specific reminders about departure and arrival times, etc. Stay tuned!
- Talent Show Applications Due TODAY! From Stage Crew and Hosts, to Solo and Group Acts there is a role for you! Want to be in the talent show but don’t know what to perform? Sign up for the WCS Group Dance choreographed by some of your WCS teachers! No auditions required for group dance participants.
- Please note that because the Chastain-ians will be on Age of Sail during the scheduled audition date, there will be an audition for our students' acts on Monday, January 11th from 3:45-4:45 in room W17. If your audition includes music, please be sure to bring a copy.
English Language Arts
- No spelling or vocabulary lists on Spelling City during the week we return (due to Age of Sail).
- Students continue to unlock the meanings of multisyllabic words by learning more about the specific meanings of prefixes and suffixes in class. We will do a "check in" on their understanding of these meanings on Monday, 1/11.
- We will begin our unit on pairing fiction with nonfiction passages.
- We will be finishing, editing and revising our five paragraph essays about Spanish California.
- Reminder: AR halfway goals on Tuesday, Jan. 19th. Read, read, read kidlings!
When we return we will begin our unit on fractions. IXL strands that support our learning in this area include:
- 4th Grade: D.4, A.5, Q.1-Q.6; Q.9-Q.20 and Q.22
Next up in science is our physical science unit on sound and light waves.
Check out Ms. Jackson's website to see what's currently happening in art.
- Dec. 18-Jan.3: Winter Break
- January 5-6: Bring Age of Sail gear to school
- January 7 & 8: Age of Sail field lesson for Chastain-ians
- January 11: Talent Show auditions for Chastain-ians
- January 14: Timed Math Facts Tested in Class
- January 18: Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday - NO SCHOOL
- January 19: Mid-Trimester AR Goals Checked
- January 22: Mid-Trimester Progress Reports go home
- February 15-19: Presidents' Week Break