Year 1 Newsletter
Spring 2 Term 2019
Our topic 'Our Britain'
In English we have been looking at the story 'Hector and the Big Bad Knight'. The children are using punctuation to uplevel their own pieces of writing. We continue to follow 'The Write Stuff' format for our English lessons where the children focus on exploring and gathering key vocabulary, then using this in structured sentences following modelling from the teacher.
Children also have daily phonics sessions and handwriting and 'hold a sentence' sessions.
All of the children take part in 'Book Talk' daily. In these sessions the children focus on a fiction or non-fiction text for the week. During the session the children share ideas about specific elements of the text, such as how the characters might feel, why certain action is included and what the overall themes are, as well as much more. Our individual reading continues to take place and we encourage you to keep reading daily at home. We would ask that you make a comment in their reading records to show how often you read at home. Regular reading at home will really help to build on their skills.
This half term we have been learning about division, moving on to thinking about comparing numbers using greater than >, less than < and equal to =. The symbols are very important to the children's understanding. We build on previously learnt addition and subtraction skills. In all maths lessons there is a focus on maths fluency and quick recall, so the children often do their 'rolling numbers' (counting in 2s, 5s, 10). Lessons start with a 'do now' activity to recap skills previously taught. All children are given the opportunity to challenge themselves and even work towards a 'super challenge' within the lesson.
In design technology, we will be looking at mechanisms. The children will learn about how these work before they move on to a planning and making element. In science, the children will explore ways of grouping animals, thinking about their characteristics.
The whole school were involved in STEM week, looking at Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths.
Dates for your diary
- Please ensure that your child is not wearing earrings on PE days or that they have a plaster over the earring. This is for health and safety.
- As the weather is extremely cold it is essential that your child has their full and correct outdoor PE kit. This includes long tracksuit bottoms and a top.
- Please ensure that your child has their reading folder (including: reading book, target card, and reading record). Books should be in school daily.
How can you help?
Practice the spellings sent home.
Complete weekly homework tasks.
Here are some links to useful sites where your child can learn from home.
- Can you put the full stops in the right place? http://www.roythezebra.com/reading-games/full-stop-1.html
- Read the words - real or alien words? http://ictgames.com/poopDeckPirates/index.html
- Can you order the numbers? http://www.topmarks.co.uk/Flash.aspx?f=order