April 2013 Status Update
Below is our April Status Update to keep board members and others closely involved with Salud Juntos informed. In this edition of the newsletter you will find the following:
- Programming Updates from Honduras and Nicaragua
- US updates
This information is specifically for those close to Salud Juntos. While there is some overlap with the quarterly newsletter, specific activities of the board and operational information will be in the status updates that is not included in the quarterly letter. Thank you for all you do and we look forward to seeing you at our next meeting or event!
- Programming Calls: Cristina, one of the Community Health Workers from the clinic in La Guacamaya now participates in programming calls. Her participation improves communication between the US Salud Juntos headquarters and the Honduras-based clinic.
- AMOS: Sheridan is close to having the first draft of the full analysis of the community data collected by AMOS is Nicaragua completed. The analysis will also serve as his MPH thesis.
- HTN Evaluation: Currently in the final review stages and it will be submitted very soon. We are looking forward to posting a comprehensive presentation of our results on our website soon.
- Hypertension Group: Promotas in Punta Ocote saw 74 patients in their homes last month. These visits are in addition to the work they do during group meetings.
- Bocas Saludables: Promotoras visited 9 schools last month to provide fluoride treatment and tooth-brushing lessons to children in their communities. More than 500 children learned to brush with Yanira and Cristina.
- Corina, the treasurer in Honduras, sent some beautiful photos of the families that receive food from the "familias en crisis" program. See more in the quarterly newsletter.
- Executive Director/Leadership transition: At the last board meeting we decided to hire a new Associate Director, Claire Allen, to facilitate the transition. She is currently contracted for 3-months with the option to extend this position depending on the future direction of the organization. She is currently researching potential partner organizations for SJ both in Honduras and in the US.
- February Fundraiser: Fundraiser at Wallingford Pizza House raised $500 with very little work. We are hoping to get another similar event organized for the Spring academic quarter.
- Website: We plan to use the website to connect better with both volunteers and donors. The site is well done and easy to navigate, so our next step is to promote the website among those interested in learning more about Salud Juntos. We will post more frequent updates on our blog as well.
- Board Members: Terry Tack will be leaving the board. Terry has provided exceptional service to Salud Juntos and the people of Honduras. Please see more about Terry and his work in the quarterly newsletter. He has inspired many of us and he will be missed by us all.
- Tom Garland will take over as our new Vice President. We look forward to his leadership.