PHS Staff Update - A Great Week!
Volume 2, Number 4 (September 15, 2014)
Back To School Week is Awesome!
From an energetic rally on Monday through an action-packed Bash and pre-game tailgate to our excellent JV and Varsity effort in handling the other Trojans from Terra Linda, we had a spirited Back2School week at Petaluma High. In between, Kerry brought in Scott Bachovich, an excellent motivational speaker on Wednesday. To see almost a hundred kids stay behind after each presentation to speak with Scott told us that he touched a chord. His message that each of us can be a catalyst for change, whether to help someone study, point out offensive behavior in another person, or simply to offer support to someone else in a time of need, clearly resonated with our students. You can change yourself by thinking about others. Atticus Finch applauds!
The week also featured a lunch for new and foreign exchange students, plus our sixth annual Senior Sunrise. A long, tiring but enervating week!
About one hundred seniors and staff officially kick off the Senior year at Senior Sunrise
- Petaluma Girls' Volleyball d. Montgomery 25-14, 18-25, 25-19, 25-18 Monday night behind Maddie Mehciz's 36 assists, 19 digs and 6 kills. Later in the week, the Trojan girls came out on the wrong side of a thrilling 5-setter vs. Maria Carillo. The second set went all the way to 34-32. Still, after dropping the first two sets, the girls battled back to force the fifth set. This team has some deep playoff potential...
- Girls' golf produced one its best team scores in years, a 277, falling to a talented Analy team (264). They also lost a squeaker vs. Healdsburg by 5 strokes. These girls are knocking on the door and showing real improvement.
- All three football squads came away with wins. The JV slipped by Terra Linda 14-13 while varsity handled them 35-15 with a balanced attack and strong defense.
- Girls' tennis remains unbeaten at 5-0 after two dominating performances. First, they took care of Analy 6-1 before easing past Else Allen 7-0. Awesome play!
- Boys' soccer opened league play with a 4-0 result versus Sonoma Valley. They are 6-3 so far in the season. Nice work!
- Don't forget to check the PHS website for the upcoming athletics schedule. Go to http://phsathletics.wix.com/trojans . You can also download our Athletics app to your mobile device for access on the go.
- Follow us on Twitter for the latest in news and sports scores @PetalumaHS...
Krashen Comes to PHS!
Dr. Stephen Krashen
Literacy, Reading, Libraries, and Language
Parents, Teachers, and Students Welcome
September 17, 2014
6:00pm to 7:30pm
for more info: 707-778-4662
Coming Up This Week...
- Campus Make Up Pictures: (staff who haven't had photo taken, please do so this morning)
- Athletic Boosters meets @7PM
- Stephen Krashen visits us. He is available during the day if you want to talk with him during your prep - fabulous resource for reading strategies. He will present to us starting at 2:30 in the Library, and then again at 6PM to us and the broader community.
Staff Meeting - Sept 22nd
CASL Leadership Development Day - Sept 22nd
End of First grading Period - Sept 24th
PLNs meet - Sept 24th
Blood Drive - Sept 26th
BEYOND: Proposed Purple People Eaters Freshmen Check In - Sept 29th
A Great Article on Asking Questions...
Below is a link to a relatively old article that has some current wisdom. Steven Reinhart writes about how he asks questions of students. He wanted his students to take on the journey of learning themselves. He defines the change in his definition of good teaching from "one who explains things so well that students understand" to "one who gets students to explain things so well that they can be understood." An interesting Common Core-ish ideal from the year 2000. Please take a look. We might talk briefly about this next week at our staff meeting.