Taft Community School Newsletter, Week of Oct 23, 2023
From the Principal's Desk
Dear Taft Families,
We hope you had a restful and wonderful weekend. My youngest son’s 3rd birthday was last weekend and he got three celebrations; one at school, another at SkyZone, and the third one at his aunty’s house! He was very happy.
We have conferences this week with an 11:45 am dismissal every day. If you have not done so yet, please schedule a conference with your child’s teacher. Every teacher has sent out numerous requests for conferences. Please make an effort to attend the goal-setting conferences as these are very important for your child’s education. Thank you.
Goal-Setting Conferences October 23-27 and Reminder about Attendance during Conferences
Conferences have arrived and will be this week, Oct 23-27. Dismissal time will be at 11:45 am every day this week. While we understand that it’s a challenge for many families, please make every effort to have your child attend school during conference week. As you know, our conferences this year require that student goals be created by the teacher, student, and parent. Some of our teachers have already started reaching out to families to schedule their conferences. It is very important for all families and students to participate in these goal-setting conferences.
23-24 RCSD Fall Panorama Survey
The district sent out the annual Fall Panorama Survey last week. It is important that we receive responses from everyone! If you have not done so yet, please click on the link below and it will take you directly to the survey for you to complete. The survey should not take more than 15 - 17 minutes. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. Thank you.
Holiday Toy Sign-Up
As the holidays approach, The Taft Family Resource Center would like to share Holiday Toy distribution resources. If you are interested, the links below have more information and how you can register. If you have any questions, please get in touch with Toys for Tots or the Redwood City Holiday Toy and Book program directly.
Halloween at Taft
This year we are allowing students to wear their Halloween costumes all day! It’ll be very fun to see our students in their costumes. We are partnering with Carlsen Subaru and they are providing two cars full of candy (one car will have regular candy and the other gluten-free/sugarfree candy)! We will have a Halloween parade where students will be able to show off their costumes and collect their candy at the end. Taft will also provide a bucket for kids that they can use to collect their candy. Please note that we have certain requirements for costumes that must be school-appropriate. Lastly, students must be in good standing behaviorally. Those students who do not come in costume will have to wear their regular uniform. It's not a free dress day.
Halloween Costume Expectations:
Costume masks are prohibited. COVID-19 masks are allowed.
Fake blood, props, and accessories are prohibited (Examples: guns, wands, knives, etc.).
Inflatable costumes are not allowed
Costumes should not have obscene language, hate speech, or themes/references to drugs, alcohol, the occult, death/suicide, or violence.
Gang-related costumes, clothing, and/or props are prohibited.
Hair coloring must be applied at home.
Students must be able to go to the bathroom on their own without the help of an adult.
Students who do not want to or cannot participate in this event will be sent to the library. This information will be shared with students during our weekly announcements. Parents are welcome to attend this event. All parents must sign in at the front office prior to attending the parade. See the schedule below.
Halloween Parade Schedule, Tuesday, Oct 31
- TK and Kindergarten, 1-1:20 pm
- Grades 1-2, 1:30-1:50
- Grades 3-5, 2-2:20 pm
Parent Internet Safety Workshop
RCSD is working with the Redwood City Police Department to host two Parent Internet Safety Workshops. The capacity is only 25 parents for the English-speaking class and 25 parents for the Spanish-speaking class. If you are interested in attending, please see the picture.
Taft Parent Compact and Parent Involvement Policy 2023-24
On Tuesday, September 26, our School Site Council (SSC) approved the Taft Parent Compact and Parent Involvement Policy for 2023-24. Both are linked below and are also found on our website in the Parent Hub under Parent Involvement. We ask that all parents complete the Taft Parent Compact by Oct 31, 2023.
Taft Parent Compact 2023-24 (complete by Oct 31, 2023)
Artificial Intelligence Information for Parents
RCSD put together the following presentations that detail important information about the use of Artificial Intelligence in schools and in our everyday lives. Please take a moment to read it.
PAL Registration, Halloween Event and Free Ballet Lessons
The PAL Center's after-school program is still open to enrollment for 5th-grade students. If you are interested in registering your student, please fill out the online application using the link below.
Please email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
*Please note that the PAL after-school program will be canceled on Friday, Oct 27 so that the PAL staff can prepare for their PAL-O-WEEN event.
School pictures taken on 10/03/2023 are now available for parents to view and order online.
Option 1: All parents who had a valid email listed in PowerSchool were sent an email from JostensPIX with a link to the JostensPIX website. Please check your email for instructions.
Option 2: View and order at https://shop.jostenspix.com/login
Event Code: FE293223
Also Needed: Powerschool Unique Student ID. Please call the school for this 6 digit number or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
The makeup session for pictures will be on Tuesday, Nov 7.
Donations of Bottled Water and Granola Bars
We are asking for donations of bottled water and granola bars so that each classroom has some in case of an emergency. We accept bottled water packs (24-40) of 8 oz or more. Please drop off your donation at the front office or family center. Thank you very much!
- Oct 23-27: Goal-Setting Conferences, Dismissal at 11:45 am
- Friday, Oct 27: Free Dress Day
- Friday, Oct 27: Dental Screening
- Tuesday, Oct 31: Halloween (Regular School Day. See event details in the Halloween section above)
- Wednesday, Nov 1: Teacher Work Day, No School for Students
- Thursday, Nov 2: Principal's Coffee, 8:45-9:30 am
- Thursday, Nov 2: Marine Science Institute Presentation in 3rd Grade
- Tuesday, Nov 7: Picture Day Retakes
- Thursday, Nov 9: End of Trimester 1, No School
- Friday, Nov 10: Veteran's Day Observance, No School
- Monday, Nov 13: Trimester 2 Begins
- Nov 13 - Dec 15: iReady Winter Assessment Window
- Tuesday, Nov 21: Minimum Day
- Nov 22-24: Thanksgiving Holiday Break
- Thursday, Nov 30: Nutcracker Field Trip, 5th Grade
Student Pick-Up At Dismissal Time
Please pick up your student at the appropriate dismissal time listed in our Bell Schedules. As mentioned above, our office closes at 3 pm and our office staff end their shift at that time as well. We have no staff available after 3 pm. Students who are picked up after 3 pm will have to wait inside the gated area without supervision.
- Please do not park in the staff parking lot in the morning and afternoon. The lot is reserved for staff.
- Please do not block our neighbors’ driveways at any time.
- Please drop off your students in the front drop-off zone. No parking is allowed along the curb. If you are going to park and walk your child to the gate, please park on Bay Rd and walk to the main gate. The RCPD will periodically patrol mornings and afternoons. Administration will be there to receive your students. Once students are dropped off at the main gate, students will be directed to go to their designated area which will be supervised by a staff member. Starting Tuesday, Sept 5, 2023, parents will not be allowed on campus moving forward unless it's a school-related event or have an appointment with a teacher or administrator. All visitors must check into the front office.
- All students need to be in full uniform and wear appropriate shoes every day unless it's a Free Day dress (last Friday of the month). Sandals and Crocs are not allowed on any day. Please refer to the Parent & Student Handbook for complete guidelines. If you need help with uniforms, please contact our Family Center.
- Please review Taft's Cell Phone Policy for Students. Students bringing a cell phone to school must check it in at the front office.
My Next Newsletter
Thank you for taking the time to read my updates. I will send my next newsletter by Monday, November 6, 2023.