Autism Spectrum Disorder
by Bailey Telgenhoff
What is autism, exactly?
That's nice, but what are the symptoms?
- avoiding eye or physical contact
- engaging in repetitive activities
- being extremely sensitive or resistant to change
- having inappropriate responses to conversation or not responding at all
- lack of emotional expression or understanding
- fixation with a narrow range of interests
- having very specific food tastes
- very high or very low IQ
Autistic children may also lose language skills even after learning them.
What is life like for a person with autism?
How can I support autistic people?
Common Autism Myths
- Autism is caused by vaccines!
Despite extensive research, no link has been found between autism and vaccines.
- Autism Speaks will help autistic people!
Autism Speaks is actually one of the worst organizations for autism. One of its main gripes against autistic people is viewing them as a disease, pushing out videos like "I am autism", a series that shows autism as a life-ruiner.