The Brendel Bulletin
Friday, September 8th, 2023
Hi Brendel Families,
Happy Friday! Tonight is GB's first Varsity home football game and our annual Freedom Festival which begins at 5 pm on the Brendel playground. See the flyer below for more information but I hope to have families walk with me in a mini parade on the field at 6:30 pm today. You can meet at the Freedom Festival and walk over at 6:15 pm or meet behind the aquatic center by 6:30 pm. It will be a quick parade around the field and end back at the stands where there will be reserved seating for anyone who walks.
If you bring the Freedom Festival flyer to the game your family will get in for free.
Please call the office with questions but we hope to see you there!
Have a great weekend!
- Breakfast & Lunch is free for all students this year. (Student will still need to pay for individual items, only milk, etc.)
- If you have not done so already, all families need to fill out the school meals from so so the district can provide free breakfast and lunch to all students. The form can be found HERE.
- Make sure to write your name on your child's items, jackets, water bottles, lunch boxes, etc. This will help us keep our lost and found small.
- Start next week families will not be able to walk their child to their classroom. Please use the drop-off lane.
- Unless your child has an appointment, do not come to the office to pick your child up at the end of the day to avoid the line. The line looks like it takes longer than it actually does. All students are in cars by 4:05 at the latest. If you walk up we will ask you to go back to your car and use the line. Thank you for your cooperation!
“I can sum up positive psychology in just three words — other people matter. Period. Anything that builds relationships between and among people is going to make you happy.” -Dr. Chris Peterson
What is The Positivity Project?
The Positivity Project (P2) is an organization whose mission is to empower students to build positive relationships and become their best selves (NOTE: Watch the P2 founding story video here). Positive psychology’s 24 character strengths serve as its foundation. Ranging from bravery and perseverance to integrity and gratitude, the character strengths are classified and described in the 800-page book Character Strengths and Virtues. These strengths aren’t about ignoring the negative. Instead, they help us overcome life’s inevitable adversities.
To achieve its mission, P2 partners with Pre-K–12 schools and equips educators with the resources, training, and strategy to teach their students about character strengths and positive relationships. P2 is a school-wide endeavor grounded in the consistency of daily classroom instruction. P2 Partner Schools dedicate one week to each strength and students learn through daily 15-minute classroom lessons that are different for every grade level. These lessons help students understand character through definitions, examples, discussions, and exercises. P2’s model is holistic, incorporating students, educators, and parents through regular interaction with character strengths vocabulary and concepts.
How can you help?
Family involvement is an integral part of student success, and we would love for you to take an active role in your student’s character strength education. P2 for Families (password: P2) provides an easy, accessible way to reiterate the character strengths vocabulary and have meaningful discussions about the importance of relationships at home. Additionally, you can follow P2 on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube to stay up to date on all things P2.
- We have a date set for our annual Monster Mash & Dash! We are very excited to have this again on October 19th at Physicians Park. This is our big building fundraiser that helps provide money for the entire building throughout the year. Stay tuned for more information.
- We are always looking for new volunteers to join our PTO team. Please reach out to Mr. Engleman if you are interested in getting involved.
- Our next PTO meeting is Tuesday, September 19th at 6:30 pm.
VOLUNTEERS are critical to the success of our fundraiser. Please sign up today.
- Spirit week: PJ day
- Spirit week: Team day
- Spirit week: Hat day
- Spirit week: Neon day
- Spirit week: Brendel or GB colors day
- Half day, 8:40 am - 12:17 pm
- GB Homecoming
- Float building, 3 pm
- Parade line up, 4 pm, spot 54
9/19 Annual Title I meeting, 6 pm
9/19 PTO meeting, 6:30 pm
9/21 Picture day
9/29 Half day, 8:40 am -12:17 pm
10/17 PTO meeting, 6:30 pm
10/17 Hungry Howie's Pizza Night Fundraiser
10/19 Half day, 8:40 am - 12:17 pm
10/19 Monster Mash & Dash, 4:00 - 7:00 pm
Breakfast: 8:20 am
Doors open: 8:35 am
If you arrive after 8:50 please walk your child into the school to sign them in
Half Day: 8:40 - 12:17 pm