Mrs. Dixon's Weekly Enewsletter
Home to Planet Dixon's Out of this World 3rd Graders!
Week 27 April 4-8th
That's right, April is Poetry Month and we will be enjoying great poets and figurative language all month long! Check out these 25 Must Share Poems here! Stay tuned for more exciting news about poetry and our Poetry Cafe to celebrate Mother's Day and Father's Day (jointly) the first week of June (delayed due to Living History Museum and Open House!)
American Hero Unit
Monday, April 4th is the kick-off for our Living History Museum project!
What is the living museum project you ask?
Your child will be required to research and read about a significant figure in American History. This will be a guided project that will be completed in class. Students will use resources to gather information. Upon completion of gathering their information, students will turn their notes into a two-four minute speech about the person they chose.
What do you need to know?
On Wednesday May 4th students need to come to school prepared to give their speech as their Hero. Students must have one prop or article of clothing to represent their Hero. A full costume is optional. The 3rd grade museum will be open for all to view from 8:45 a.m. – 10:50 a.m.
Homework and classwork this week:
Research will begin this week during class and for homework to decide on which heroes they are interested in.
- Explore American Heroes and complete graphic organizer- Go to website or Thinglink here. Explore 5-10 American heroes you are interested in. Watch the short videos and read the Big Universe books. Complete the graphic organizer (see G. Classroom) highlighting 5 American heroes and turn in on Friday. Make sure to rate them 1 to 5 so you are ready to choose your hero you will be researching for our Living History Museum.
- Please see homework page for more details.
Once students find out their hero on Friday, they will be researching for the following 2 weeks. They will go to our library but as resources are limited with all of 3rd grade focusing on this, it would be wonderful if you could visit the local library to check out books as well. We have our chromebooks but want them to read actual nonfiction books to get the varied research. This is such an exciting and memorable project for our 3rd graders! Please see below for more information about the actual event.
Save the Date! SEES 3rd Grade Living History Museum
Wednesday, May 4th, 9-10:45am
1615 Schoolhouse Way
San Marcos, CA
Note: If you aren't able to attend due to work please do NOT worry! We will be highlighting video clips of the action during Open House the following week so you don't miss out :)
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
That's a Wrap! Solar System Inquiry Projects complete...check them out!
Got Class Donations?
- Lysol Wipes
- hand soap
- hand sanitizer
- Mr. Sketch markers (they've officially taken my precious markers I use for posters hostage and I can't say no anymore when they beg to use them ;)
- Friday April 8th- American Heroes Choices due (see homework page)
- Mon April 12th- Spring Picture Day
- SEES Country Fair April 15th-16th
- Wed. May 4th- SEES 3rd Grade Living History Museum 8:45-10:50
- Open House- May 19th