Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 12/14
Remember: There is a 2-hour early release this Wednesday due to staff PLCs.
Having a Holly Jolly Time - Gingerbread Ornaments!
Updates & Announcements:
Chip Shoppe Fundraiser Pick Up: Chip Shoppe Fundraiser items pick up is TODAY, December 14th from 3-6 PM in the Media Center.
Classroom Cookbook - Recipes are due TOMORROW, December 15th in order for the class cookbook to reach the printing press & to be returned before the holiday break! Please have your child print or email a copy of his or her recipe to me. Thank you!
Snack Mix: Can you help? We will be having a cozy reading party next week, and we'll also be watching the movie version of our current read aloud, Hachiko Waits. I am looking for 4-5 items to put together for a special holiday snack mix. Anything works - Goldfish, popcorn, M&Ms, cereal, Teddy Grahams - whatever you have on hand! Please reply if you're able to send in something. Thanks so much for your help!
Caroling with Character: All year long students practice being "kids of character" by demonstrating the character traits learned during KoMet Pride day lessons. This week and next week students have the opportunity to be "caught being good" by any staff in our school. Their name is written on a green slip and placed in a drawing. Each day next week, two students' names will be drawn from each grade level. These students will be invited to participate in Caroling with Character, a field trip to sing at Prairie Meadows Senior Center on December 21st at 1:45 p.m. Fifty students will sing for the residents. They will return to the school for a holiday treat before heading back to class. All students are excited for the chance to show their great behavior and go Caroling with Character.
This Week's Objectives:
- We are concluding our work in the December issue of Storyworks.
- We are reading and writing with our second grade buddies.
- We are building reading stamina and practicing CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expanding Vocabulary) strategies for reading.
- We are adding and subtracting with decimals.
- We are reviewing Unit 4 and beginning Unit 5, which centers on multiplication facts and multidigit multiplication. Please help remind your child to practice facts at home in order to build speed and accuracy!
- We are solving multiplication and division facts and extended multiplication facts (ex. 5 x 70 = 350).
Science & Social Studies:
- We are beginning a study of electricity and circuits.
- Students are concluding our state reports and creating large maps of our states.
We participated in National Coding Week & the "Hour of Code" Challenge last week!
Wishing you a terrific week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.
Your Partner in Education,